home

Author Topic: On Inspiration and Historical Reference: What is 40k?  (Read 936 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
On Inspiration and Historical Reference: What is 40k?
« on: July 23, 2020, 12:41:07 AM »

Cheers!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: On Inspiration and Historical Reference: What is 40k?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 01:20:00 AM »
A nice little write up KNC! A little bit hard to read when embedded in the post, but for anyone else reading you an zoom in a bit more if you often it as a separate tab!

https://i.imgur.com/kLROUne.png

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:40:23 PM »
Thank you most kindly, Gankom!

Oh damn, I didn't realize how compressed it became. Here is the Imgur link for a zoomed picture of the addendum:

https://imgur.com/EldAIeT

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:19:30 PM by Karak Norn Clansman »

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »
Two quick observations:

Warhammer 40'000 is a comedy dressed up as a tragedy.

My step-brother, at age 11, earlier this year pointed out that this artwork looked like a mix between Mad Max and Star Wars. He is not acquainted with Warhammer 40'000 yet, and his summary of that Imperial Navy battleship's aesthetic is the best description to outsiders that I've ever heard anyone come up with for 40k. I've seen a lot of good descriptions of the 40k setting, but nothing as concise and accurate as his observation.

Cheers

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
A note on the elite of elite of elite Imperial orders being exclusively female or male:

40k plays on archaic strings. It's better worldbuilding by being more archaic by having the exclusive elite warrior orders mimic monks and nuns and be separate. Female Sisters of Silence and Sororitas on the one hand, and male Astartes and Custodes are much better worldbuilding ploys than mixed orders of Astartes and Custodes. You don't mix monks and nuns and retain an archaic impression.

This is one example where GW has stayed a lot truer to the spirit of 40k through all these decades, than one would expect. Kudos to GW for playing the right strings to build their setting, where so many others would have fallen for outside pressure and muddled the setting.

Of course, the elite monks and nuns situation does not apply to the Mechanicus/Titanicus (who cares little about fleshly matters) or the ragtag plebeian hordes of Imperial Guard (where any setup conceivable, such as mixed or separate regiments, or just male or even just female regiments will happen somewhere depending on local culture). Neither does the Inquisition need it, since it's such an excentric individually focused organization. Sororitas/Astartes and Custodes/Sisters of Silence is the relevant arena. They are the big shining warrior orders.

And they ought to feel archaic. This isn't the Dark Age of Technology, but the regressed, myopic and parochial Age of Imperium, where things often do not make sense and weird traditions are king. There is a good reason why Games Workshop in the 1990s abandoned the idea of female Space Marines and gave the Sisters of Battle a true remake into their very own cool thing.

Cheers

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:34:33 AM »
That old Blood Angels cover. So many memories....of hurling torrents of abuse at pewter models