home

Author Topic: Preparing for the Re-Release of the Olde World ...  (Read 1244 times)

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
Re: Preparing for the Re-Release of the Olde World ...
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »
I know it wasn't in the army list, but I had thought they mentioned the unit somewhere as existing. I wouldn't mind them included as a 0-1 choice of 5-10 max, special or rare (going by 6th army selection) Keeps them rare, while being able to have some more bears on the field. I have Urskin, but if it's a choice between Katarin and him, she wins every time. Have you ever frozen a river full of skinks and watched them poof? Lol, it's hard to pull out the bear after that, and you can't field them together

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Just jiven'
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2021, 04:02:09 AM »
I just thought about potential warrior priests of Tor. Love to see that!
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Online KTG17

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »
I've been wondering about this for awhile but keep forgetting to mention it... the new bases. Since 40k bases keep getting bigger and bigger, if the Old World follows and uses larger bases too, even for models that used to be on 20mm square. Maybe a universal square base for troops from humans to orcs, then something like the 40mm, cavalry base, and chariot/monster. Things would be more uniform I guess and easier to produce.

Do you think this would annoy a lot of veteran players if their old bases were now obsolete?

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2022, 02:08:26 PM »
It may annoy, although one way or another they will adjust, even if they just decide to use the old bases with the new rules.  Nothing says they'll need to switch bases, unless they decide to jump back into competitive play.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
I've been wondering about this for awhile but keep forgetting to mention it... the new bases. Since 40k bases keep getting bigger and bigger, if the Old World follows and uses larger bases too, even for models that used to be on 20mm square. Maybe a universal square base for troops from humans to orcs, then something like the 40mm, cavalry base, and chariot/monster. Things would be more uniform I guess and easier to produce.

Do you think this would annoy a lot of veteran players if their old bases were now obsolete?

The way GW has/is going I would be shocked if the base size in the New Old World isn't bigger than what we've known in the past.

I got the Ven Denst Witch Hunter duo a while ago who are probably the newest humans that GW had made,  they're on round bases but I was surprised to find it was something like 28.5mm! I've never even come across that before!

Scale creep will continue or at least has gotten to a point where they older models are already a little out of touch therefore so will base sizing IMO, 20mm will be looong gone I reckon :dry:

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2022, 11:16:50 PM »
The bases for nearly everything have ramped up. I got the free monthly model from GW on Saturday, one of the new Idoneth elves. The elf is slighly bigger then an elf use to be. But the base is nearly twice the size. Bigger then space marines use to come on.

Offline Syphon

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2022, 10:13:58 AM »
The bases for nearly everything have ramped up. I got the free monthly model from GW on Saturday, one of the new Idoneth elves. The elf is slighly bigger then an elf use to be. But the base is nearly twice the size. Bigger then space marines use to come on.

Nothing like the apocalypse to whet your appetite.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 12:32:42 PM »
Oh? What don't you like about the new Kislev art? Granted the concept art for the new kossars/archers weapons is... not great but I haven't seen anything to odd with the style so far.

Too high magic for me - too fantastical. It feels like it belongs in Age of Sigmar, not Warhammer.

These are exactly my thoughts. Using a cooking metaphor: the fantasy elements should be the "seasoning" and not a main ingredient. Too much and the whole thing becomes unenjoyable.

The previews of those Kislev troops have certainly reduced my hopes for this new Warhammer setting.

I too like to emphasize 'low fantasy'. I like the higher fantasy elements to be in far away lands or from ancient times, making rare appearances. I loved the gritty and grimdark wfrp world of old
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »
I had some Knights of the Empire staring me in the face last night on the painting table along side some additional spearmen and crossbowmen, plus an engineer on horse.  So they've at least made it to that point. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2022, 03:15:13 PM »
I have brought forth an assorted mix of assembled and unassembled plastics from days gone by and are planning to paint up a new Empire army. Me and my friend Tom might try out Warhammer Armies project but man, are there lots of stuff crammed into that project. Still, they killed the hordes so units of 5x5 seems to be the best choice.

Anyway, I have decided (at least I think I have) to create a Nordland army, maybe based around the Nordland Marines.

I have sold so much of my old painted collection, and some more. But I still have an Ogre maneater re-modelled by Shadowlord and my mortar from my old army. I sold stuff like crazy but I just had too keep something of what I was gifted from Shadowlord so Pekka remained and I am so happy for that.
Also, I just could not part with my mortar Chalice of Sigmars wrath.

The rest if infantry but I could rework some half-converted rough riders into pistoliers and I should have pieces left to make 5 knights.

Anyhow, a amphibious force should be somewhat limited in the bigger stuff so it will be okay.

One good thing with Warhammer Armies Project is how the author have assembled lore from many editions and from WFRP and present it in one place so I could actually get a decent feel for Nordland.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2022, 02:53:17 PM »
40mm bases will just make model count much lower for table size, don't think gw wants a low model count game, that's not financially intelligent

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »
40mm bases will just make model count much lower for table size, don't think gw wants a low model count game, that's not financially intelligent

Not sure about this. It's not about the model count, but about the cost of making the molds and then pressing the plastic into sprues. Already GW sells multisprue single models at a very high price - often you pay more for the individual plastics than for a similar-sized box of several smaller models.

You can glue several models on a 40mm base. Or you can use big single models to represent regiments.

Just an observation. I know nothing about GW's plans about the game. I guess nobody does, outside of the studio.

-Z
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 03:46:52 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2022, 06:22:29 PM »
I heard they're using square bases. :icon_wink: