home

Author Topic: WFB 3rd Edition Basing question  (Read 198 times)

Offline Michael Stockin

WFB 3rd Edition Basing question
« on: October 16, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:58:22 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: WFB 3rd Edition Basing question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 06:31:13 PM »
Maximize the number of combatants. Always the rule.

Also in the gentleman refereed atmosphere of the 3rd ed, do what you like but don't try to be intentionally silly.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:37:24 PM »
The first option I'd say

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:39 PM »
Its orc & humans ... I say 5 on 5 I. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 08:16:00 PM »
Also the pictures are a bit wrong. 5 20mm bases should be exactly as wide as 4 25mm bases.

In the 3rd ed, there was no corner to corner fighting, so in picture 2 the 5 humans would still only fight 4 orcs. I guess technically that could be claimed to be legal, but I also think it would go strongly against the spirit of the game.

But in the end, the most important rule of the 3rd edition was that the referee has the last word. So the rules explicitly allow you to interpret things - as long as you are the referee, or can influence the referee.  :wink:

In later editions (from the 6th onward at least), corner to corner fighting was allowed, so even in the second picture the five humans would be fighting five orcs.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 09:12:54 PM »
As far as I can tell, there was no "maximising models in btb on the charge rule" in 3rd edition. However, there was a specified maximum wheeling angle: 22,5 degrees, and there was no free wheel to close the door.  Indeed, movement was not determined by unit, but by model. So, some models might be able to end up in full btb this turn, and others might not, in which case the latter would not be in cc that turn, and the unit's formation would count as "disrupted/unformed."

Hence, there is no clear answer to the question, as it would depend on individual circumstances.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)