home

Author Topic: Getting Back Into Empire ... Repaint or Expand?  (Read 413 times)

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
Getting Back Into Empire ... Repaint or Expand?
« on: November 17, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »
So ... you're coming back into the Empire for the first time in awhile, and getting reacquainted with your Empire army ...

...  do I repaint what I have or just look to expand on it!?

- - -

Hmmm ... first thought is looking at what a person has, and seeing where a person goes.  I'd get out all my old figures, and finalize where I want to be as the project moves forward, and then make a plan to get there.

With my own figures, I recently laid most of my completed and in progress units out on a large foam board.  This gave me a good way to see what I might start finishing, and see what I might add to the current units for eventual use in games.  I don't see myself repainting much of any, maybe just a few items or bits and bops on some, and instead rather get more figures finished.

As a result I have 4 more spearmen and 5 more crossbowmen on the painting desk for completion, and along the same lines of painting style as the original units.  Been also slowly completing a mercenary general and a warrior priest, both on horse.  That's just a start, to do a little completing of previous items, before starting on new items or finishing my unit of swordsmen that I also hadn't completed before.

However, it's all about seeing what I have, and then deciding what I want to accomplish.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Getting Back Into Empire ... Repaint or Expand?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
- If you are happy with the result, why would you even consider repainting?
- If you are looking to expand, it depends on what you already have. In a competitive framework, a Steam Tank and a unit of Demigryph Knights would be priority 1.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Hams Fan

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 09:54:58 PM »
Thank you, sorry I created a new project thread and asked there before I spotted this.

Iíve laid out what I have and think I might just add units to the existing. Iím going for a light Border Princes theme so would like to use some Bretonnian and Kislev models for variety

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »
Not in this position with my Empire army - nothing is painted yet so they're a fresh start, but I am definitely in this position with my Cadian Imperial Guardsmen.

I had them out a few days ago and whilst I'm not terribly unhappy with them, there are some improvements to be made especially now having access to contrast paints, some of my best painted minis were foolishly not undercoated so they've started to chip in some places back to showing metal, and ultimately I think the colour scheme might be too similar to what I have planned for my Empire army (greys on account of Wissenland) sooo all in all I think I am leaning towards a re-paint with a slightly different look, I just have to decide what I want from them.

Same for my High Elves tbh thinking about it. I like the idea of having a good spectrum of colours across my collections so I don't really want to end up painting everything grey! :-P

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »
I hear ya on the lack of priming.  When in 4th grade, I and my father made a diorama of the Concord North Bridge.  We did not prime the 54mm figure we used to make this.  Now that Dad has passed away and the 250th anniversary of the Rev War is approaching, I have set my sights on refurbishing this project from back before the bicentennial oh so many years ago.  Going to need to repaint in places, although this isn't my Empire army, it is still going to be quite the project to figure out how best to deal with all of it.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 06:49:04 PM »
I'll take this question in general, not specific to Hams Fan's army.

If the paintjob is OK and not too thick, I would never remove the paint. You could paint over one or two colours to fit your new colour scheme.

This is because priming and basecoating is a taxing job, and redoing those phases will spend your time on something you had ready in the first place. Also if you have based your figurines before priming, as many do, the paint removal will destroy that job too.

But if the figurines are really badly and/or really thickly painted, then paint removal is required just to bring the sculpts back to life. Still, on a couple of occasions, I've kept even a bad paintjob and improved it the best I can - on rank & file figurines. Figurines that are looked at individually require better paintjobs.

The only situation where I often remove paint from decently painted figurines is when I'm planning to sell them. If the work on priming, basecoating and basing has become unimportant to you, paint removal is easy and people tend to prefer unpainted figurines. Then again because paint removal from metal is so easy, people are usually ready to do it on their own, so paint removal isn't that important to get metal figurines sold. Plastic may not sell at all if badly painted. But the time spent on removing paint from plastic - which is not always easy - may be much more valuable than the worth of the plastic.

Eventually, everything boils down to personal values on time & paint quality. These vary wildly. So do what you feel is best.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »
When I was buying my armies, if there was a decent paint scheme on them already, I would leave it and try to match the models I got to fill the missing parts. I respect the time put into an army if they are really nice and look good on the table. Generally I try to fix the paint even if it's terrible, but I have stripped a few models that were just caked with paint.

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »
I'm a big fan of working in existing paint schemes to my army. Maybe they're refugees my army picked up somewhere, or volunteers or something. I've only ever repainted something once, when it was just melty yellow, and once when I got something specifically as a gift I had plans for and didn't know it was already mostly painted.