home

Author Topic: Hey I signed up for Warhammer 40,000 Imperium  (Read 201 times)

Offline KTG17

Hey I signed up for Warhammer 40,000 Imperium
« on: February 07, 2022, 01:52:01 PM »
To my shock, I saw my first ever TV commercial for 40k on TV. On the sci-fi channel last night. It was promoting https://www.warhammer40000imperium.com/.

I couldnt believe it.

Anyway, I went and signed up for it. I have never done anything like this before, and to be honest prior to this, I figured I had all I wanted from 9th edition, but I love what I have seen from the issues that have been reviewed on Youtube so are giving it ago. I will prob sell many of the minis as I do not need them all. But I love tutorials and scenario packs. I honestly have too many interests to really take a deep dive into any one thing (hence why I wrestle with making progress on WFB), so its much easier for me to be able to have everything clearly spelled out whenever I actually do get a change to play.

I was aware of Conquest for 8th, but while I love the Dark Imperium set, I didn't like how the Space Marines were a mix of first born and primaris. I know Primaris were still new at the time and didn't have all variety of models as they do now, but I just don't mix the two up. So being able to subscribe to something with 9th involving armies I have already collected is perfect. Plus throwing in the Mechanicus and Sisters, two armies I normally could care less about, but in a evolving story, I do find interesting. Highly doubt I will subscribe all the way to issue 80 though.

Very excited!

Offline Zak

• Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Hey I signed up for Warhammer 40,000 Imperium
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 04:56:26 PM »
hmmmmm
This is how Liberty dies, by the sound of thundering applause.

Offline Syphon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 06:50:10 PM »
That sounds like how I got a ton of (sometimes OOP) LOTR miniatures.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline KTG17

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 07:16:32 PM »
That sounds like how I got a ton of (sometimes OOP) LOTR miniatures.

Were those issues any good? I remember seeing some on ebay back in the day and couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

I was just thinking the premise for Imperium is a little odd. I mean, I can't imagine very many new players finding out about it, even though I learned about it from TV. I assume most fans would not only have all they need by now from both armies, but also have been playing for awhile and don't need the tutorial scenarios. I mean I am sure there are other peeps like me but I feel not many. It just seems something like this should have come out when 9th first came out and right from the GW website.

Then again I guess that might have messed with the starter set sales. I don't know. I'll have to wait to see what they are like when I get them then give my opinion on them here.

Offline Syphon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 10:21:19 AM »
It's just two armies? I was considering looking into it but that makes me less interested.

And yeah, they were pretty good. It gave you a mini each time it came out plus there were painting and terrainbuilding tutorials as well as battle reports and rules things. All things considered, even though I now have a ton of models I will never use (I am a Gondor man and before I stopped buying single issues 52301580 years ago, the magazine was on a Rohan kick), I'd say it was a good purchase. The tutorials were expansive, if a little basic.

Offline KTG17

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 06:35:51 PM »
It's just two armies? I was considering looking into it but that makes me less interested.

Well, some Mechanicus and Sisters. So a diversified Imperial army, which is kinda cool. I normally have zero interest in the Mechanicus and Sisters but I'll give these a go.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is still here! : )
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 07:12:32 PM »
I wouldn't mind Mechanicus, not interested in the Sisters, and have a bunch of Necrons that still need painting before I go after any others.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Syphon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 04:41:47 PM »
I kind of AM interested in both Sisters and Mechanicum.

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 08:21:17 PM »
I was tempted, especially by the Ad Mech and Sisters. I just kinda already have enough Marines, don't hugely care about Crons, and generally prefer converting what marines I do have to Deathwatch but this would be a slightly lorebreaking deathwatch force.

Its excellent savings though, and a nice little present to get each month.

Offline KTG17

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »
Well, I have been waiting and waiting, and finally got the binder that you keep all the articles in. The dividers are just paper, which is pretty lame, as I am already wearing out the tabs.

I really don't know what to make of this whole subscription. The magazine is really nicely done, so long as it arrives in nice shape (I have had several take a beating). I am very happy with the production value, and are excited to see what comes next.

The thing is, as far as models go, kind of already had everything I wanted from 9th from Indomitus, as well as some of the newer terrain in the new Command starter. They are actually assembled and primed in typical KTG17 fashion, so the likelihood of me every finishing off anything I get beyond that is a pipedream. However, since I felt like I had all that I wanted, I don't mind getting these models that I normally wouldn't go out and buy. And I might be even happier with the contents of the magazines than I am the actual models.

Which really makes me wonder who this subscription is for. I am mostly in it for the tutorials and rules/scenarios. The background material can be found in the core rulebook, which I would assume every player would have by now.  I know its a deal for the models, but I guess many people already have the marine models, as well as Necron if they are already fans, and if you arent a Necron fan, why buy this subscription? And then there is the taste of the Sisters and Mechancius, or the others in the Premium sub, which I didn't get. But by the time this 80 issue subscription is done, I assume we'll be in 10th edition. I am not sure what the subscription is really going to be offering around issue 65 is the rules of the game are all well covered by then, except for the models.

I have the feeling a lot of what I am getting will end up on eBay. Well, the units that I already have will certainly go there. If I didn't already own all the previous 40k starters I would say this is an awesome sub if you like both the marines and the Necrons. However, by adding all the tutorials, if makes it seem this is for noobs, but I can't see noobs signing up for this.

This uniquely fits into what I am looking for, but I am just a little surprised it fits other people's.

I almost feel it would have been cool to rope all this together in some kind of campaign. And by that I don't mean just in the story text. But there is a reason why each model(s) is introduced as part of a story, rather than just, here is a new unit, and how you play them.