home

Author Topic: Dwarfs...  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Zack

Dwarfs...
« on: June 28, 2003, 04:06:52 AM »
I know it doesn't make a ton of sense for the Empire to be fighting the dwarfs, unless theres some sort of dispute, but since my friend plays dwarf, im constantly battling him. He doesn't necessarily have the most traditional dwarfen army, relying on almost ALL ranged combat. Which brings me to my first comment.

Thunderers. I HATE these guys. They get plus one to hit from short range, they use handguns (STR 4) and those are srmour piercing. I have a 1500 point Empire at the army, and ill be shortly expanding it to 2000. I bought the Empire Batallion box, so in total i have:
-20 Handgunners
-8 Knights
-19 Spearmen
-Cannon
-Mortar
-Helblaster
-Captain
-WP
-Master Engineer
Since he plays ranged my cavalry are usually pretty useful, they're fast and can usually hit the flank of his 20 warriors. Due to the damn 9 leadership of almost ALL dwarves, its quite hard to break him. But when i do, the extra D6 for the cavalry when pursuing helps and can usually slaughter the unit. Usually my war machines fare quite well against him. This is his army.
-15 or so Thunderers
-10 Crossbow
-Stone Thrower
-Flame Cannon
-Bolt Thrower
-Cannon
-Thane
-22 Warriors

Now that you guys can see both his army and my army, could you guys provide any tips, mainly on how to disable his thunderers. Also, tips for my army, and what i shoudl change, or buy next to get to 2000 pts. Iwas thinking of getting more knights due to their speed, and overall flexibility. Also detachments are sounding nicer and nicer all the time.

Also, Im new here, and I've just begun playing Warhammer, but I've been playing Mordheim for around 5 months.

Thanks!

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
Dwarfs...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 02:44:26 PM »
Though I think that Boris is writing an anti-Dwarf tactica, I'll try and give you a few hints.  He has a LOT of missile troops!  You have just as good a range as he does with everything except the crossbowmen.  Without purchasing more figures, I would say your best bet is an artillery duel.  Hide your cavalry and your spearmen behind a forest or hill and shoot with him.  You need to take out something good, probably the fame cannon, then the stone thrower,then the cannon.  Use your mortar against his warrior unit since it is the only big target in his army.  Fire it every turn.  Once you get the range, you should hit every figure in the unit if you roll a "hit".  

Your cannon does more hits than his so you should be able to kill his guns.  Use your Hellblaster even at long range on one of the missile troops units to reduce or panic them.  With average rolls you should kill 3.5 per turn.  

Once either one of the missile troops are reduced (about turn 3), go on the attack with your spearmen and knights.  Keep firing your artillery until you misfire them all!  Your Knights need to be beefy to take out a dwarf unit ranked up.  My suggestion is to put both your mounted WP and your mounted Captain in the same unit.  Deploy them 5 wide, make them Inner Circle, and give them the War banner.  Captain can be plain with FPA, SH, and Lance.  WP should be Heavy Armor and Great Hammer.  

If you've done the above this unit can roll his entire army.  The spearmen are there just to divert attention and act as a bullet magnet.  

First suggestion for new units is a box of Militia, perhaps two if you have the money.  The first box, paint them up for your detachments.  Seond, box paint up some crossbowmen, use the rest for archers to screen your troops.  Of course you could do it the opposite way, each works, because the crossbowmen could be the detachment for your spearmen.  

In the community section, read "Empire on the Cheap", I know there is a sight error in the point list (Which I will correct), but it has a pretty good map of how to expand your army to be effective.  

You can never have enough knights, I have over 90 painted and still have another 24 to start:)
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline IH8Skaven

Dwarfs...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 04:46:02 PM »
I'd dump the WP.  He points don't justify his statline.  He's good if you are facing some magic, or an "evil" army, but against Dwarfs he's not the best.  I think some archer detachments would be a great idea for the future, but since you don't have them, I would use the WP points to either bring another Captain (proxy the WP)  or add a banner to your Knights if don't do so already.  I'd give the ME a Hochland or Repeater Hand gun, if you don't already.  But with your current army, you really don't have much of a choice but to hang back and shoot it out with him, hope you can weaken him enough to where you can move your troops in for the kill.

Offline Zack

Dwarfs...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 07:17:17 PM »
thanks guys, I might be playing him some time in the next few days so ill try that. The only problem I can see is the helblaster, due to it's 24'' range, as soon as I move it into range, he can unleash with all his missile troops. If the helblaster takes the hits, then it should be okay, due to its high toughness, but it better be able to drop a lot of troops quickly, or im screwed. Lol. He barely ever even moves his warriors, as he uses the "Bear Trap" strategy, so this time ill sit back, and then move everyone in once the firepower has taken down some of his units. I'll test it out and tell you all how it went.

P.S. Our first game was somewhat of a draw, and our second game, I had the slight advantage.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
Dwarfs...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 08:43:53 PM »
Uh..the only unit that has more range than you are his crossbows.  So Thunderers and other stuff has the same range.  Make sure you take out his artillery with your Great Cannon
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Zack

Dwarfs...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 09:31:55 PM »
Ok well, I took your advice of sitting back and shooting it out with him, and it worked very effectively. My mortar was on all game, taking 5 thunderers and around 7 warriors. The Cannon took out a few warriors, 2 flame cannon crew and some crossbowmen. The helblaster actually got into combat and took out around 12 warriors, and didnt get one mis fire all game :) And lastly my handgunners managed to take out the remainder of the warriors, reducing the 24 strong unit to 2. They also beat up on the thunderers. With the plus D6'' to their first shooting, the handgunners were able to put the thunderers in range without receiving and return fire. They took down a few too. All in all great strategy and good help guys.

He has 2 armies, a choas one as well, and I played his chaos too. He had (if i remember correctly)
-10 Plaguebearers
-20 Knights
-10 Mauraders on foot
-5 Mounted Mauraders
-Wizard
-2 Beasts of Nurgle (Spawn)

it was around 1200 pts.

First off, he sent his mounted Mauraders behind my knights! (Damn fast cavalry) I had to bring my hangunners around to fend them off, which they did well, destroying all 5 of them. My helblaster was within 12' and i was soooo happy that it would get to destroy his knights! A little to happy...a misfire blew it up. Overall I won the match. My knights (didnt even lose one!) broke his plaguebearers which disappeared from battle (daemonic rule) and his mauraders on foot were getting slaughtered by my knights as well. His knighs were decimated by my mortar. In one tuen, it struck home, covering the entire unit and taking about 12 away. Unfortunately the remainder of the knights took some of my spearmen and when the spawn hit the flank, they fled. By this tim both his spawn were badly wounded he had 4 knights left and around 10 mauraders ( which were getting cut down each minute) He managed to take out my mortar, and his magic prooved very unaffective throughout the game. He called the game, and I was declared the winner. Hooray!

Offline squig87

• The Dude
Dwarfs...
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 08:43:42 PM »
What kind of a player has 20 knights in one unit?? That is so silly especially for chaos knights who only need 5 to be absolutely unstopable! sounds like the battle was in your hands though, i thrashed a chaos player recently. chaos hate handguns

* repeat- CHAOS HATE HANDGUNS.
Citizen Erased

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
Dwarfs...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 08:58:49 PM »
Perhaps it was actually chaos warriors rather than knights....20 knights would cost about 700 points wouldn't it? In an army of only 1200 points, there wouldn't be enough left to get the other stuff.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline squig87

• The Dude
Dwarfs...
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 09:23:22 PM »
Yeah i think that warriors was meant not knights. sorry  :oops:
Citizen Erased

Offline Zack

Dwarfs...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 10:07:16 PM »
Oh yeah sorry, Warriors, I got confused there, they had WS 5, so i assumed they were knights, damn strong Chaos.... and yes, they do hate handguns.

Offline Bugman

• Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Lead Dwarf Engineer
Dwarfs...
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 03:18:52 PM »
Hi,

You need to remove his warmachines quicly and early on in the game

Bugman
http://Http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The oldest, largest &  most informative Dwarf Website in the old world