home

Author Topic: "For the Emperor"  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
"For the Emperor"
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:27:41 PM »
I am going to Games Day and they have an art competition which is themed with "For the Emperor". It can be for fantasy and so does anyone have any ideas for picture that I could use? I was thinking: Last Charge, Last Stand, Big Charge. I am not sure whether to draw normal soldiers or knights or whatever, though...

If anyone could help I would be very grateful. :-D
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Senor D

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:53:08 PM »
Graf Martin personally leading the Stirland Halberdiers to glorious victory over the foul Von Carstein foe, saving the stranded Ostermarkers in the process.

:-D
yep.

Offline Archaon

• Members
  • The Everchosen
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 07:07:32 PM »
Perhaps Valten and Archaon in a fierce duel, whilst the brave Imperials best the fell Chaos scum, in the background?
Proud user of an Empire General

Offline spite

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 07:30:31 PM »
I would but I am also entering and wouldn't want to give the competition any good ideas unless of course you're below 16... :lol:

Offline Border Prince

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:03:20 PM »
Of course it depends on your particular talents. You might be good at individuals, particularly faces. In which case you want to draw the minimum of figures. Alternatively maybe you want lots of individuals. But perspective there can be trickier, and you need to make sure you keep a clear focus in the picture.

Nothing says it has to be a combat piece. In fact I've often thought it's non-combat art for wargames that really draws out the spirit of the army. Soldiers do the same more or less what/whoever they fight for, and you can't see the reason for the fight. Something outside of a combat situation tends to have much more emotional impact.

It's also a good way to show that these are "good" people. Humans, dwarves and high/wood elves fight (to an extent) for their homes, families and survival. That is a marked difference from those races that fight because they like it/their Gods told them/the fat toad told them to go this way. To which is it easier to relate?

My personal suggestion would be one of the basic soldiers. Maybe a young man being given a halberd and marching off to a waiting regiment or have his family clustered by his home in the background (one or the other, don't want to crowd things). If you've been bitten by the TVI bug, you want to focus on the basic soldier. He wins your battles after all!

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »
Quote from: Senor D
Graf Martin personally leading the Stirland Halberdiers to glorious victory over the foul Von Carstein foe, saving the stranded Ostermarkers in the process.

:-D

Due to his ineptitude, the Ostermarkers were devastated before Graf even entered the fray.

How about a single Empire character (Middenland of course) felling Beastmen or Orcs or whatever suites your fancy with pistols ablazing swords a-bloodied, and armor a-shine-en. Perhapes including an obvious objective in the background, a defensless village (Stirland of course) for example.
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 08:58:16 PM »
Actually, a scene from The War of Ostermark Succession would be awesome- hint, hint :p
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Nog64

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 02:49:30 AM »
How about a big, glorious picture of Franz on Deathclaw?
<font color=0033FF-FF3000>╤♦*~N64~╤♦*</font>

Offline SigmarsHammer

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 03:33:33 AM »
Something From the Battle of Black Fire Pass, the first or second wouldnt matter,

also nice plug GH :P

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 05:27:46 AM »
I think it would be cool to paint something we casually flush down the toilet every game as screens or charge-directers.  Huntsmen or something.  Then you could play it off as the "big sacrifice" for the emperor and then if anyone complains about you tossing your huntsmen away with no regard for human life, you can pull out a lavish illustration of loyal huntsmen getting trampled by a Keeper of Secrets "for the Emperor" and then convince your opponent it's in the army's fluff.

Or instead of huntsmen, you could make them 5 knights, only with no standard or musician, and give it to Tim Walker if you lose...

I do, however, think it would be the pinnacle of silliness to paint a picture *of* the Emperor and call it "For the Emperor".  

When is this due?  I've got a really good idea that I *didn't* say... which Games day are we talking about?
Quote from: Atchman
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 06:22:33 AM »
A good full title might then be:

FOR THE EMPEROR!
Join the army, they said

I'll stop being silly now :ph34r:
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 03:15:56 PM »
Its UK Games day on 25th September and I am under 16.

I've just had a thought on the idea of non-combat ideas - what about a young swordsman/spearman/halberdier/pistolier/greatsword, etc getting knighted in a court?

I'm reluctant to do anything about stirland because GW have several Hel fen pictures, that might be seen as unimaginative.

Something From The War of The Ostermark Succession would be great because I could have a title of "For The Emperor! No, I'M the emperor! I'm way better emperor than you! Ow! This is War!"  :-D  :tongue:
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline boca majstor

• Members
"For the Emperor"
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 04:21:02 PM »
A wall chaos knights and hounds, recklessly charging..

..into a wall of helblasters :) Their crewmen expressions should say "Come on. You do not want this. I mean it. Really. Why would you? Becouse, I wouldn't" and so on and so on :)
Say the words forever, your strength will never leave
If you want to win the fight, say "I believe"