home

Author Topic: Possibly bad news ... W.A.R. goes to EA  (Read 1370 times)

Offline PissedYeti

• Members
Possibly bad news ... W.A.R. goes to EA
« on: June 21, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »
EA is known to ruin things and now they have their grubby mits on the Warhammer license ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060620/20060620006061.html?.v=1

I don't like the sound of this one bit ... no sir! Don't like it ...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:08:37 PM by PissedYeti »
Non Omnia Moriar

Offline Elieress

• Members
  • Slaanesh.. Just a painting project... I promise...
Re: Possibly bad news ... W.A.R. goes to EA
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:29:23 AM »
Hmm... Mythic is still going to be almost the same studio... but under different owners.. I just hope that EA stays out of the development process...  There has been some good EA games, but the statistics arent all that favorable...

One thing that realy bothers me though... warhammer online playable on Xbox 360??   I havent seen a PC game that didn't reak of the hacks neccesary to make it cross platform... :cry:
Elieress... Just an old RPG name that got stuck to most of my online profiles...

CPH denmark

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:40:55 AM »
God, i hate EA. They mess up everything to get money
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:17:45 PM »
This may make or break WarhammerOnline. 
Mind you there are strong development studios under ownership by major Production studios.  Blizzard lives under Vivendi Universal, Bungie under Microsoft (then again I never really cared for Halo).  That being said,  depending on what sort of arrangements were made, mythic may still have a strong degree of control as to what goes on for WAR.  On a positive note,  EA will be able to feed mythic a steady flow of green to ensure the project is a success.  EA's marketing and distribution machine is the most powerful in the industry, so you wont expect WAR to be some forgotten backstory in the MMO world. When a buyout like this occurs, the previous ownership is ususally pretty good at calling the shots on their turf for the first few years at least.  But nobody is really sure what was written in on those contracts.

On the other hand, this game could fall the way of other titles by being forced out into the market prematurely, EA executives with massive hubris could call shots forcing the game turn from bad to worse, etc.  Just keep in mind that EA does have some very successful titles out there.  The sims being THE bestselling game in the video game world.

It's easy to bash EA,  they're the big dog, and are guilty of an endless stream of half baked, poorly produced rushed out the door titles.  The poor treatment of their employees isnt any secret, and they are driven by marketing and accounting like any other big studio.  Lets hope these negatives dont play too heavily on WAR. 

-Grutch

CountRommel

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 03:18:56 AM »
NOT EA NOT EA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Sorry had to do that.  Goddamn it I hate EA especially with what they been doing with the Madden Frachise as well as their baseball games.  it just seems like because they own the license they can make games crappier and crappier excuse the language but it is true.  Not only that EA has some of the worst business practices in the video game community in fact almost everyone they fire is paid some kind of hush money with one of those nondisclosure things.  They are a terrible company they ruin games ecause they buy up the sole licence to be the only one than they can do whatever they want because they own the license to make the game.  i hope this is the only game GW does with them.

Offline Big Al

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:18:06 PM »
I'm not sure EA will "screw it up", I've played some pretty decent EA games before. Also, just because they own the studio, doesn't mean they'll overwhelm it with "Sims" programmers. *shudder*