home

Author Topic: Warcry ...  (Read 8835 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Warcry ...
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 07:10:33 AM »
love the idea, will make them rather unique I think
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 01:56:24 PM »
As I continued to contemplate colors for my Warcry warbands, I have decided yellow is definitely going to be the main color for my Corvus Cabal, and with some black, although the yellow will be predominate.

I mean it could work but my mind makes it come up like a band of punk Goldfinches

What's wrong with punk goldfinches?

Real talk tho, those models look good in almost any scheme. My local GW manager painted them in bright green and blue like parrots and they're still sharp as hell.

Alex
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »
Real talk tho, those models look good in almost any scheme. My local GW manager painted them in bright green and blue like parrots and they're still sharp as hell.

So they look like some sort of metal band that only does Jimmy Buffet covers?
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 12:01:22 PM »
 :icon_lol:  SOF is on a roll this morning. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
:icon_lol:  SOF is on a roll this morning. :icon_lol:

Indeed. I need to monitor coffee intake and read carefully
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2020, 11:54:32 PM »
So once again came close to buying my first Stormcrud Eternal dudes ... the Warcry warband for them.  Resisted again.

Instead ... picked up the Warcry cards for Skaven, because already have models for some of these.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:22:45 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2020, 12:27:11 AM »
The walls are slowly breaking GP! Soon... Soon the Stormcast shall have a place in your heart AND in your collection.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2020, 12:32:08 AM »
The walls are slowly breaking GP! Soon... Soon the Stormcast shall have a place in your heart AND in your collection.

Indeed! The stormcrud are a callin!
I picked up the skaven and beastmen as well
If
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »

You weak willed traitors - you're a disgrace to the Empire

:biggriin:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2020, 12:49:44 PM »
Ah! That reminds me ... want to get out WD456 and review the Empire/Dwarf/Elf warband information provided there.  Maybe this weekend in between everything else.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 12:58:12 AM »
Join us Midaski... Join usssss....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
Found some magnets!  I can get cracking on the Warcry scenery again.

Need to review how these pieces go together, and then start creating, followed by spray painting before installing magnets.  Plus need to determine how the magnets will get installed, too. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2021, 04:23:14 PM »
Picked up some new drill bits for using with the magnets.  I had some small ones for things like holes in hands, or pinning parts together, but nothing big enough for the magnets that I have.  Got to set aside some time to review how all these scenery parts go together, and start using my pin drill to make some holes for the magnets.

Meanwhile ... I also came across another Warcry scenery painting video ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAkaeerpVDY

This seemed to come out a bit too grey for my liking, I'm going with more of a sandstone approach to the color, and wasn't thrilled with the blue bricks, I might go with red or just keep them sandstone as well, although watching this for the techniques being used was a helpful review of items shown in other videos further back on this thread.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »
With Artoban proceeding on his Warcry figures, my interest in this projects has been increasing.

I have my Warcry box opened up in the hobby room.  All the plastic sprues have been previously dunked in soap and water, and most of the scenery sprues have their parts clipped and mold lines removed.  The smaller scenery bits are all out on the spray painting table, probably half of them, the parts that were only wood, were spray primed a medium brown last week when the weather was good.  After reviewing what remains od the scenery parts, I could have gotten away with priming a few of the others that have wood components, but at the time couldn't decide how I was going to go with them, which was kind of dumb on second thought, because this morning it was so obvious how to proceed with the rest.  Weather is expected to be good on Thursday again, so priming will hopefully resume.

I pulled out the figure sprues last week for the Corvus Cabal, and still need to decide what color I will prime them.  Just took a look this morning at the chaos creature sprues ... they don't look like a bad glue job, and might go together relatively quickly compared to some efforts with sprues in the past.  And then there are my sprues for the Splintered Fang, Iron Golem, and Untamed Beasts warbands ...  :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2021, 05:02:56 AM »
After doing some painting flesh onto WotRs 28mm Perry figures, I then turned to my Corvus Cabal warband to see what might be glued together.  A closer look at the sprues shows a confusing mish mash of parts, and although they are numbered I couldn't figure out what was what just yet.  :icon_rolleyes:

So ... I started with the Shrike Talon because the parts seemed obvious.  First the two wings then the right and left shoulders which also from the head, but then I couldn't find the head.  That was weird.  I looked again over each of the three sprues and still couldn't figure it out.  Then I snipped the legs and put the right leg on, and then discovered that the head was attached to the left leg via a left side, which of course was totally wacked, and I couldn't fit the head through the holes where it would be expected to be placed.  Thus I had to take off the two shoulders, which had already been super glued, and thank goodness I didn't try using a faster super glue on these.  Then I was able to fit the head and left side and left leg on the figure.  However, some of the plastic is relatively thin, easily breakable, and I decided to let the figure sit overnight so the glue could set as is, and then I can put the two shoulders and hood in place next. :icon_cool:

This is not an impressive start to making these figures.  Plus I'm already aware that their are limited options for a warband due to the way these figures have been molded. It probably makes sense to look up how much these cost in points to make a warband and determine how I'm going to get these together to match what I want to have for the warband.  And that means I might not be making the rest of these figures until this is determined.

I'm hoping the Iron Golems and Chaos Beasts, Splintered Fang and Untamed Beasts, are easier than what these Corvus Cabal figures are turning out to be.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
So ... I started with the Shrike Talon because the parts seemed obvious.  First the two wings then the right and left shoulders which also from the head, but then I couldn't find the head.  That was weird.  I looked again over each of the three sprues and still couldn't figure it out.  Then I snipped the legs and put the right leg on, and then discovered that the head was attached to the left leg via a left side, which of course was totally wacked, and I couldn't fit the head through the holes where it would be expected to be placed.  Thus I had to take off the two shoulders, which had already been super glued, and thank goodness I didn't try using a faster super glue on these.  Then I was able to fit the head and left side and left leg on the figure.  However, some of the plastic is relatively thin, easily breakable, and I decided to let the figure sit overnight so the glue could set as is, and then I can put the two shoulders and hood in place next. :icon_cool:

I found the same thing when assembling the new Sisters of Battle squads, it was the first time I have EVER had to follow instructions to build a GW infantry unit. The new models are really cool, but they tend to have a lot less freedom of choice than our old favourites, limited to maybe a different weapon/ pair of arms and a choice of heads. Sometimes they do seem to have to be constructed in a very particular order or else you can't fit some bits in! Luckily I only blu-tacked mine so no need to pick apart any glue :engel:

I'm also dreading building my Necromunda Van Saars... the sprues are PACKED with lots of tiny bits that I fear need to be placed very precisely at a very specific time! :laugh:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »
The Corvus Cabal box that I bought didn't have instructions, although the Warcry starter set did, as did the Splintered Fang box ... hmmm.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 10:49:41 AM »
Strange indeed, they should normally all have a leaflet with the instructions and basic squad/unit profile...

You might be able to find a PDF or something online maybe? Otherwise you'll just have to wing it! (pun absolutely intended).

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »
The saga continues ... moments ago I discovered that the right side of the piece that has the hood is suppose to go on the wings before the body.  Oh, I was not impressed.  However, I was able to pry the left hand side of the body away from the back piece, and slightly bend the right arm at the wrist, the latter avoiding breakage where it is glued there, but I have put the whole figure down to obtain some more patience and relaxation for further gluing the figure together.  This is not fun, although I will prevail.

It is my plan that I will piece together all the remaining parts of these figures before any further gluing.  And after determining how I will arm them because of the how the points are determined for picking a 1,000 point Warcry warband.

I started this last night because my sense was here are a bunch of guys that can go quickly together, and I can get them ready to paint, which would give me my first Warcry warband, and some figures for the evil roleplaying minions that I have in operation already, and in advance of this summer's RPGing with the nephews.  Evidently it isn't going to be as easy as first expected.

I'll blame it on how wonderfully Artoban is painting is Warcry figures. :icon_wink: :engel:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2021, 11:54:27 AM »
Weird there were no instructions. Building is the least fun I find but you have to follow the instructions and the order. The Squig set nearly sent me off the deep end as I was trying to put together different parts. Crazy.
I se instructions on all things now as the conversion element seems to have been clipped a bit
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
I se instructions on all things now as the conversion element seems to have been clipped a bit

I agree with this, it seems like you really have to go above and beyond to achieve any good conversions now, instead of getting hold of the odd bit here and there it seems you now need to get the odd MODEL here or there, or a massive component that you need to dissect for the bit you want. More often than not anyway.

Anyway, good luck with the Cabal GP, I recommend dry-fitting with blu-tac before going on with the glue! :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »
Weird there were no instructions. Building is the least fun I find but you have to follow the instructions and the order. The Squig set nearly sent me off the deep end as I was trying to put together different parts. Crazy.
Yep, it's like who ever packed the box forgot to include them, because I can't see them just not printing instructions for them.  It is definitely a pain.

Time is way too valuable to be fiddling with these.  It's bad enough I have to be gentle in clipping the bits off the sprues, and then clean the left over connecting plastic, and then glue them.

Oh, you meant clipping the art of conversion.  Yep, that sucks too.

I agree with this, it seems like you really have to go above and beyond to achieve any good conversions now, instead of getting hold of the odd bit here and there it seems you now need to get the odd MODEL here or there, or a massive component that you need to dissect for the bit you want. More often than not anyway.

Anyway, good luck with the Cabal GP, I recommend dry-fitting with blu-tac before going on with the glue! :::cheers:::
Then again suppose the bits dealers will just adapt.

I'm just planning to lay the parts out as I determined which ones go together, but this really is an extra step, and a pain in the brain.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2021, 02:30:49 PM »
I tried a google search to no avail, but there was a Reddit post where somebody had the same issue and the answer given was just to email GW Customer Services for a PDF version, if you can be bothered mind you!

Either that or no doubt there's plenty of things on YouTube these days for unboxing so I reckon somebody has done a build tutorial perhaps?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2021, 01:25:40 AM »
The idea that I would email GW for an instruction sheet, well, I'll put this way, that isn't why I buy a figure.

This experience is really not been a good one.  Tonight I went back to the figure.  Discovered my understanding of the putting the parts together was different than I recalled from this morning.  I won't go into the detail, but suffice it to say, in the process of gluing the two halves of the hood onto the head/back broke off the right arm at the wrist, and accidentally snapped the right hood tie that is so thin, I'm surprised I didn't do it the first time when having and issue last night.  And now I have put the figure to one side to let the glue set before attempting to finish its construction further.

I have mixed emotions about this.  The sculpt is detailed and it looks good, and I suspect I can hide the issue with the breaks, worse case snap the other tie so they look similar, not sure how to glue such a thin piece back to a thin piece.  But I am now a bit irritated thinking on how I am going to paint this thing too, due to the detail associated with it.  I didn't buy this thing to spend eons on the detail, so finding a simple way to do the trick is going to be a goal, and yet this will lengthen the process of completion for a guy who just wants to paint it decently, and get it on the table.

My question immediately is what is the purpose behind complicating the figure?  Come on GW, there's got to be an easier way than creating it as it has been done.

I'm eyeing those Perry brother figures for Wars of the Roses.  Made over 130 of them last year alone, and although there are more to do, there's no way I'd make an army out of figures sculpted and molded like this Shrike Talon.  Of course I'm sure that isn't GW's purpose for the Shrike Talon ... lol.

It is discouraging me from purchasing a another box of these dudes to have more options for my Corvus Cabal warband.  I'm going to keep moving along on this project, but it isn't even encouraging me to want to buy The Cursed City box if any of the sculpted figures are going to be like this.  Hope I can find a way to be able to make my Cabalists in the warband capable of being adapted via magnets for weapons, so that I can change up the figures a bit if desired, but that will lengthen the project as well.

Uh boy. :icon_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:01:05 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2021, 03:02:58 AM »
So I tried some google searches, and nothing popped up for how to complete these figures.

However, I did find this ... https://www.forbiddengaming.co.uk/corvus-cabal-shrike-talon-14370-p.asp

It shows that a bits dealer is already selling these figures singly.  And it reminded me of the foot claws that need to be glued as well.