home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 … And Beyond ...  (Read 9554 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
100 Days of Hobby for 2021 … And Beyond ...
« on: December 28, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
In 2015 I heard there was a professor that would assign her students at the beginning of her class to pick something that they would do for 100 days in a row, and then provide a paper at the end of the semester on how it impacted their life.

And so that summer I started and completed a 100 Days of Painting effort.  Each day I did some painting of military miniatures, and although it wasn't easy, some days I had to squeak it in at the last moment before heading off to bed, but it changed the number of figures I had started and completed, and generally speaking was often a good way to relax.

Last year I switched this idea to 100 Days of Hobby, and started it on May 1st.  The expansion from "painting" to "hobby" makes it a bit easier to complete because folks can do what ever they'd like with the hobby ... build, construct, convert, game, make scenery, paint, research historical topics for colors, uniforms, scenarios, write fluff, etc. as long as it is related to the hobby.

We here at W-E had a thread running for the project last year, and I am thinking of the same for this year.  Who knows ... perhaps in 100 Days this whole public health issue will significantly improve as well, and we'll be getting back to a bit more normality, even if not completely back to the way things were.

This year I'm considering starting another 100 Days of Hobby on January 1st.

Anybody else interested in joining me on this???
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:23:55 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
Re: Contemplating a 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 …
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
100 days in a row ... sounds hard to achieve. On the other hand, it's going to be a long, hard winter with a lockdown and everything closed at least until January 10th and it looks like it will be extended for another four weeks after that. I need something to look forward to.

Count me in!  :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 10:04:51 PM »
We did it last time, by jove we can do it again!

Fingers crossed anyways.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 03:58:37 AM »
So looks like as the New Year is upon us, only 3 folks interested in 100 Days of Hobby.

Ok ... lets do it Tara and Gankom ... I will start on New Years Day and move forward from there!

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 09:01:57 PM »
Day 1/100:

Glad to participate!  :::cheers:::

Here's what I painted today:

Leather and metal parts of these Uruk-hai. It's just the first layer and, in some cases, a wash, i.e. still WIP.

I'm going to add highlights tomorrow.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
I've been cooking and cleaning today, good stuff, yet I will do some hobbying after dinner.

Might even keep a list this time.  It'll be good to look back over it, and see what the record of activity shows.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 10:55:16 PM »
I would like to try this out but I only have the warcry bands left. Maybe time to convert the Tzeentch army and elf. I’m pretty sure  I’ll never play old school again and waiting for a few years for the new old world to resurrect may be fruitless. I am suffering a huge drop in hobby momentum lately However but may join in a little bit later. I will need to find a focus again and maybe some cash to but a new army.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 11:06:50 PM »
Well ... there is always the making of scenery, playing games, telling stories, etc.  This doesn't have to be just about painting figures.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
So Day 1 for me saw me getting out a white poster board that already had many of my Empire figures resting on it, and I added all my Skaven figures from the 8th Edition starter set.  Last year I had sorted some Empire figures on it, and had pulled some from it for painting.  I took all the painted figures that had received some paint last year, and returned them to the board.

It was good to be reminded of how much painting I already did on top of the base coat of light gray for the Skaven.  Found one figure to be missing the top half of his spear, so will need to figure out what I am going to do with that.  Lots of projects to be worked on with these though.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »
I missed that we were starting this so soon, but its good timing and I've been working on stuff so it fits!

I spent yesterday adding the first layer of base colours to some slightly larger stuff. Chipping away at two Sentinals, a Khoragash AoS monster, a Ridgerunner jeep and Gotrek. I also added a few touch ups to some chaos models that just need a few details fixed.

Today I've started on the basecoat for the bases. Just brown, but on a bunch of models to get them ready.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:34 PM »

Day 2/100:

I continued painting the Uruk hai. All the base colours are complete now and I added different washes. Pretty happy with the outcome so far.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 10:42:25 PM »
Count me in.

I'll list my progress when I'm at the computer. Too much trouble with the phone.

Do we have a place for easy photo storage & links? Otherwise I'll link from FB, but the links will die soon because FB changes the storage paths quite often.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 02:41:17 AM »
Don't know of anything here.  And there's got to be a better way than facebum.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
Currently there are four of us giving 100 days of Hobby a new run ... GP, Tara, Gankom, and Zygmund.

- - -

Day 2 for me ... last night I opened up my newest copy of Wargames, Soldiers, & Strategies.  It's theme is on 20th century Vietnam, but I read the articles on Olav Haraldsson (made me wonder if Harald was his father ...  lol), and the second part of the series on Baron Von Geismar's French cavalry during the latter Napoleonic Wars.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 …
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 02:11:43 PM »
By the way ...

Mathi probably knows who Olav was, and this was a good read with basic info on the battle that brought his death, and some good scenario ideas.  Made me want to paint some vikings and saxons.

And I have always wanted to get into Napoleonic gaming.  Many years back I picked up some Victrix French and started gluing them together.  And over the years have continued to add to this collection.  Need to get started on painting some though ... lol.

These kinds of magazines are often helpful with inspiring me to move forward on projects.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 07:45:07 PM »

Day 3/100:

Today I was kind of fed up with the three Uruk hai and therefore started painting

Gandalf the (Much-too-) Grey  :icon_lol:

Only base colours so far. Is adding purple to highlight the grey robe a good idea? What do you think?

Tomorrow I'll probably rename him: Gandalf the Cross-Eyed.  :roll:
Not sure whether I'll manage to paint the eyes as they should be under this enormous hat.   :icon_lol:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 01:11:49 AM »
Day 3 has mostly been planning for me. Inventoried my paints and made a list of what I should get for some projects I have in mind. Over the next few days I'm going to broadly sort my work bench/back log to plan out what I can do over the next few months. The main thing I'd like to get is more basecoat.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 01:54:49 AM »
I here ya on the base coating.  Need to get some primer sprayed onto my WotRs to start painting them.

Day 3 ... bought all the medieval figures I had for the Normans and Italians that I'd been using for my Battle of Civitate scenario.  But on top of that, I also bought 88 more infantry and 8 cavalry, too.  Sorted these out, and organized them into units, while finding multiple weapons that need to be replaced or added as well.

As an aside, the original owner guy was with $1 per infantry figure and $2 per cavalry, and this came out to be $266 in total, quite the bargain.  This allows me to field some 6 different Lion Rampant armies at a minimum, maybe more.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:00:32 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 06:58:47 AM »
Can we join in again with 3 days a week? Or do we will we use the other thread for that?
7 days a week is nearly impossible to do when I'm at work.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
I don't see why not, but GP is chief on that call.

That said, I plan to uh, creatively stretch what my daily hobby activity is. I'm pretty busy, so anytime I get to settle down to do anything hobby related is a bonus. Even if its 5 minutes of something.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 06:16:58 PM »
I'm good with all of that.  The idea is to keep a consistent flow, and have your life change as a result through getting more hobby stuff done and making for more peace, joy, and comfort moving forward with the hobby afterwards.  It can be a great source of stress relief as well.

Here's the list of participants so far ...

100 days of Hobby for 2021
3 Days each week ... Novogrod
7 Days each week ... GP, Tara, Gankom, Zygmund

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 07:01:52 PM »
So here are my first four days:

Jan 1 - Based four minis and called them done. Did some work on a scratchbuild temple.

Jan 2 - Put paint on five minis. Planned a small model house for my younger daughter, who was envious of her big sister having one.

Jan 3 - Finishing touches on three minis, based all five.

Jan 4 - Finishing touches on two minis. Also finished three casualty markers I started last Halloween. Feels great to get them done at last! :-)

Pictures to follow.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 07:28:46 PM »

Day 4/100:

As I was busy selling furniture and other stuff today, I didn't get to paint any details on the Uruk hai or Gandalf and decided to start painting Legolas instead. Only base colours and not all of them, but at least I got to paint something today.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »
I like it!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
Yesterday ... Day 4 ... saw me putting more paint on my 6 mounted crossbowmen. :icon_cool: :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::