home

Author Topic: What videogames with historical settings are the most historically accurate?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Jhonmicky

• Members
Hello everyone,,
Some of the better examples would be, I think, Mount & Blade Warband with the Brytenwalda mod, for a good historical depiction of the 7th century British isles. Another one that come to mind are the Paradox games like Crusader kings, Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis series. Some titles in the Total War series were accurate I think, especially Shogun 2: Total War. The Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome: Total War is one of the greatest historical games I've ever seen. Does /askhistorians know any other good ones, either popular or lesser known?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Does /askhistorians know

Not quite the right location, but I bet they do. There's been plenty of talks about it there. But I think its going to come down to what people think is historically accurate. I don't particularly consider any video game to be accurate, although that doesn't stop me from putting hundreds of hours into games like civ or CK2.

Look at CK2 for example. Here's an Askhistorians thread on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/csflzy/media_monday_crusader_kings_ii/

No ruler in history has the power and information you do right out the gate. You know exactly what EVERYONE thinks of you. You can see what's happening almost anywhere in the game world. I like to think of the game as history flavoured, rather then historically accurate.