home

Author Topic: The new GW zombies made 'Old Worldy' !  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: The new GW zombies made 'Old Worldy' !
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2021, 09:47:55 AM »
I literally haven't a clue about contrast paints. Not a sausage. I have looked at some videos, but they weren't that clear. I am plucking up courage to ask a guy who uses them in my village to allow me to observe what he does as I think that will be the best way to learn.

Even what to prime/undercoat with, and whether there is a difference, etc, is a mystery to an old enamel painter. I would like to know, as the dip leaves one heck of a shine which is very, very hard to get rife of, even with multiple layers of anti-shine. With swamp zombies, the remaining shine kind of works (they are a bit wet after all).

I am a bit chuffed that after a year of failures, I have finally got some acrylic figures to look ok. I am really enjoying painting the other 33 as the 'pressure' is off. Test models is a way to boost confidence.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2021, 10:10:51 AM »
I haven't used contrast paints as of yet but my understanding is basically;

- Your basecoat/primer sets the overall tone, white=cold, bone=warmer, grey=darker etc.

- The contrast paint is then just a one stop shop, slap your chosen colour over your primer and it kinda 'paints' the whole lot in one go, your recesses end up shaded, your high points end up highlighted and everywhere in between gets the midtone. There's a few pictures kicking about where people have painted the same contrast colour over different basecoats to show how the result is different.

It sounds like witchcraft but I'm going to try a few out when I get to the point of painting. I've seen a fair few examples of people using them to great effect over the top of metallic bases too to get coloured metals.

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »
As someone who has used contrast i can say the following:

1. Prime white. Darker colors render your colors very dull.

2. Unless you want to spend hours building up layers, apply a base coat of color that is lighter in shade than your chosen contrast. For example Celestra Grey as a base, with Basilicanum Grey over that.

3. Contrast can be very intense in coloration/pigment. A prime example is Talassar Blue or Ork Flesh.

4. Large open surfaces are Contrasts mortal foe. Resulting in a mottled or streaked look. For something like a space marine scout cloak this can work to your advantage but for things like a nobles cloak? No.

5. They are NOT a substitute for TMM and are absolutely worthless for NMM.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:28:33 PM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 07:02:07 PM »
TMM? NMM?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:24:24 AM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 08:34:53 AM »
Thanks Cap!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 06:08:37 PM »
I am currently working on a bunch of figures needed for my next campaign report (a 'present day' one rather than a video report of a story done years ago). It occurred to me that I could try some different techniques as part of my ongoing experiments moving to acrylics from enamels.

I used three methods, as described on this picture ...

I think I like them all. But the first is an attempt to continue my traditional cartoon style, but with washed faces and not the clumsy ones I used to do. The second is washed flesh but no 'cartoon' blacklining on the rest of the figure. The last, which I showed above, is full ondip/wash.

The last looks dirty, as it was supposed to. Dirty seems to work well on Zombies and Skaven. But of the other two styles, not meant to be filthy, I still think I prefer my old cartoon method, even if I never attempt it on faces again! At least any new figures would fit in better with my existing collection.

What d'ya reckon?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
I put this question to several different forums and got one hell of a lot of different suggestions. The folks on three different forums encouraged me not to give up on trying to replicate my old style (cartoon) because (a) it is my signature style and (b) any new figures I paint will fit it.

I was convinced, although I AM going to use the new techniques on certain kinds of figures, like skaven, zombies, heavily armoured characters and peasants.

However, this did leave me with those two figures I had already base coated without black lines. So ... I went to the GW shop and bought two shades - Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade, a Contrast paint - Black Templar, and some black base - Abbadon black.

The guy in the shop said shake it ridiculously loads, then try running the contrast into the gaps. That failed for me. So I tried running Nuln Oil in, which kind of worked on the yellow breeches, but on the darker colours, worked well enough so I slapped it on. The yellow breeches I tidied with the base black, then with some dabs of yellow again.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 11:44:15 AM »
I think these days many use oil based inks to darken the gaps. You can either precision wash or pin wash, or grime the whole model (Citadel wash style) and then remove the ink with a sponge from where you want the colours to shine. Haven't tried this myself, but am seeing very good results from pro's and ordinary hobbyists alike.

I like all your newly painted figurines. Different style from your previous. I think the figures look better and would encourage you to experiment more and learn new tricks.

Then again the uniformity of your (human) armies rests on the simple paint coats and stark blacklining. Which is very efficient for large bodies of troops seen from further away. They're probably faster methods too, allowing you to bring in new units for almost every battle.

Painting style is a personal question, so you decide.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
That's yet another aspect of painting I had absolutely no knowledge of. (Goes off to google oil based washes.)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »
Swamp zombies done! (Bar bases.) Spray primer/base coat, block painting with acrylic base paints, washed with an Army Builder dip. I love them – so different to my old style, and a lovely (!) change.

The command, all Black Tree Designs swamp zombies. The standard came out much darker than I wanted but I will know next time …

Part of the front two ranks, Black Tree Design …

Other part of the front two ranks, Black Tree Design with lovely long spears (I replaced the bendy originals with brass rods) …

Rear of one of the guys. Those skulls, that chain – they are far more realistic than I ever achieved in 35 years of enamel ‘cartoon’ style. And I bloomin’ love it …

3rd rank, GW, de-rooted ...

4th rank, GW, de-rooted …

4th rank - the one ‘space filler’ I needed to make 35 into a 6x6 footprint! Stake still needs more work, obviously …

5th and 6th ranks, all GW, de-rooted!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:31:06 PM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2021, 05:24:53 PM »
Good riddens to those roots! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Also, top part of the stake needs to be flush with the bottom part, maybe a bit of filing.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2021, 05:39:23 PM »
Yeah, that was WIP, like I said. I just pushed it down into place and then painted it.

Got an idea for a story about her 'situation' that reveals something important about the marshlands!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2021, 01:10:52 AM »
Bingo! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra