home

Author Topic: The Province of TALABECLAND  (Read 49294 times)

Offline Helgrund

• Members
Re: The Province of TALABECLAND
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 05:40:30 PM »
I just got 'The Empire at War' book which goes through 5 battles in the history of the empire.

Fluff varies and changes according to GW whim but this book has some very pretty and original art to back it up.

The first battle it covers is the battle of the talabec between Otillia and the count of stirland (no name) set in 1300-ish. Despite being over a millennia ago it still has some army archetypes for the two provinces.

Otillia's army;
-Lots of Ulrican support
-Templars/priests of Taal
-lack of technology, stone throwers/artillery available to stirland but none for talabecland
-mercenaries and militia. Stirland had 15k troops while Otillia struggled to get 10k troops. Talabecland has a small pop so in a struggle to get enough men lots of irregulars were paid for. Huntsmen, woodsmen and the average man defending his home make up most of the militia. Mercenaries mostly from the border princes.
-lots of freelancers. Again due to small pop.
-100 Knights of the Black rose. Otillia's personal guard and the cream of Talabecland. Fluff from other sources may disagree with this one and there is no mention of them still being active today.

One last interesting note is that Otillia is regarded as the villain by many but its not so black and white. Count Stirland allegedly bribed and 'inflenced' many electors when he was crowned emperor with Otillia coming second in the election. Otillia declares the election void and herself as Empress by default. Count Stirland then attacks Talabecland as a show of power.
(\_(\                 
(=' :')                   
(,(')(') Play Empire. The bunny friendly army.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 07:02:09 PM »
Well, I'm not totally sure if it's acurate but I think the Count of Stirland is Martin?  That's who was in charge during the War of Ostermark Succession, the campaign that was run by this site a couple of years ago.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gree

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »
I was wondering Talabacland's capital city of Talabheim if the comet city, devoted to Sigmar yet the state itself outlawed the worship of Sigmar in 1360. This was ended later but I seems odd for that to be. Now all of the gods of the Empire are worshiped in the Empire. But What about the status of Sigmar in Talabacland?

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
  • Retired from community as of 25 NOV 10
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 11:40:49 PM »
The Empire's people are known as "Sigmar's people" regardless of State, Province or City.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »
The outlawing of Sigmar in 1360 was during the time of the Three Emperors, when the Grand Duchess Ottilia was in power in Talabecland. To gain the backing of the High Priest of Ulric, she outlawed the worship of all gods except Ulric; this mainly meant that the Church of Sigmar was sent into hiding. In any case, the province of Talabecland has always primarily worshipped the god Taal, with Ulric a close second and Sigmar third.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
Actually, she just banned the Cult of Sigmar (on the basis that Sigmar never achieved divinity, and thus his cult was heretical).

Indeed. I suspect banning the worship of Taal in Talabheim might not have gone over that well... :happy:

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 11:27:39 PM »
Actually, she just banned the Cult of Sigmar (on the basis that Sigmar never achieved divinity, and thus his cult was heretical).

Indeed. I suspect banning the worship of Taal in Talabheim might not have gone over that well... :happy:

Ahh yes, my mistake...never try and write a sensible, reasoned reply when you have your girlfriend sitting on your lap  :icon_rolleyes:. The little timeline I have for Talabecland has the Sigmarite Heresy docterine listed for 1361.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 06:19:10 AM »
This doesn't count as threadomancy, right?

My army is a Talabecland one, for the most part. Around 3500 points.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »
This doesn't count as threadomancy, right?

My army is a Talabecland one, for the most part. Around 3500 points.

Thats the whole point of these threads. Though generally a little bit more info about your army might help - such as your fluff motivation or painting practicality...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »
Hey, what happened to my post between HoS and Warlord?  :? It doesn't count as threadomancy if you post pics  :-P

Offline HoS

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »
Thats the whole point of these threads. Though generally a little bit more info about your army might help - such as your fluff motivation or painting practicality...

White and Red is easy. That is my whole fluff motivation. Really, I am that simple.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 11:30:53 PM »

White and Red is easy. That is my whole fluff motivation. Really, I am that simple.

That's the city state of Talabheim :p. Talabecland is red and yellow.

Offline HoS

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
Bah! You know how many times I have gotten the two names mixed up? Every time I try to say it. I really do know what I am talking about, I swear. Now I need to check if there is a Talabheim thread, cause I coulda sworn I already posted in one of these.

Hah! There is! I knew I wasn't crazy.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »
I came upon this description of Talabecland and a player who uses them in a BatRep back on TWF, thought it would be good for a laugh here. :icon_mrgreen:

"Traditionally Paul has been one of the most generous and best-humoured players I have had the pleasure of knowing. For many years, week after week, he’d bring along his stout lads of Talabecland, Steam Tank still at the garage, artillery batteries on loan to the Emperor, compensated for by a host of eager foot troops out for a straight up fair fight, with stats that were inversely proportional to the size of their prodigious cod-pieces. Of course they never got a straight-up fair fight! March-blocked they would plod across the field being showered in projectiles and spells, and when they finally reached the enemy lines eagles would be waiting to divert their charges and turn their flanks, and even when they got a clear shot at a charge the enemy would never hold. Every week these poor lads were shot, lanced, hacked, gassed, burned, bolted, cometed, terrorised, kebabed, pitted, eaten, flamed, impacted and generally run-down in numbers beyond belief. Yet every week the lads would be back, as numerous and keen as ever. I don’t know what it is about Talabelcand, but I rationalised it to myself that in such a bleak, farflung corner of the Empire there is not much to do in the evenings, and though their chances of victory are very small their cod-pieces are indeed very large, and perhaps herein lies the explanation to the mystery of their exceptional proliferation."
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Acadian

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Well thats a pitty,...
I never reacted at this thread, but it was nice to stop by.
Learned some new things about Talabecland.
I have a Talabecland army +- 5 a 6000 points.

State troop Infantery based.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »
Well, I'm not totally sure if it's acurate but I think the Count of Stirland is Martin?  That's who was in charge during the War of Ostermark Succession, the campaign that was run by this site a couple of years ago.
Martin was count of Stirland during Manfred von Carstein's time. It was he who ultimately (?) slew him at the battle of Hel Fenn. Now I can't remember when this took place, but I believe it's not so long ago?
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »
Martin was count of Stirland during Manfred von Carstein's time. It was he who ultimately (?) slew him at the battle of Hel Fenn. Now I can't remember when this took place, but I believe it's not so long ago?

I think Hel Fenn was a couple of hundred years ago.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 08:55:12 PM »
Indeed, it was several hundred years prior.  The Count of Stirland during the battle against the Ottilia, in the Empire at War, is nameless for whatever reason, unfortunately.

not together.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
Indeed, it was several hundred years prior.  The Count of Stirland during the battle against the Ottilia, in the Empire at War, is nameless for whatever reason, unfortunately.

*cough* GW lazyness *cough*

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 01:57:47 AM »
That's laziness of epic proportions, but I would agree.

not together.

Offline Boldrick

• Members
  • My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »
well since the storm of chaos never happened i suppose the count is not missing?

Offline Baron Grenz

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
Threadomancy I know, but in choosing my Empire province I did a fair amount of research and I am hoping to clear up some previous disputes about Talabecland.

Taken diretly from WFRP: Sigmar's Heirs p.89

"The dominant feature of talabecland is the Great Forest, which stretches from end to end along the province's axis. ... Although there are isolated villages scattered throughout the forest, and despite the Talabeclanders' skills as woodsmen, the interior of the Great Forest remains a mysterious place to many. Deep within it lurks bands of Beastmen and Greenskins left over from the last Incursion of Chaos, as well as maleficient things that have lived there since the dawn of time."

This can be seen as the reason for the provinces lack of power and ecconmic growth, as much of the land cannot be used for large scale agriculture, mining or population growth.

The area not covered by the Great Forest are split into 3 distinct places: the Barren Hills, the Farlic Hills and the Kolsa hills. The only decent area being Farlic Hills.
"the Barren Hills ... More than 100 years ago, ... the Chaos moon Morrslieb spat upon the world, its spittle landing on what were then called the Green Hills. Soon, most plants and animals within the area died. Those that did not mutated in horrible ways and had to be destroyed by the Elector Count's forces."
"Near Ostermark are the Kolsa Hills, which are largely uninhabited but known for eldritch stone monuments atop many hills"

The Independant City-State of Talabheim has been governed by the Kreiglitz-Untern family. The current countess is Elise Kreiglitz-Untern.
WFRP: Terror in Talabheim
"The countess is a short, portly woman with homely features - formerly the butt of many jokes before her assignment to the highest post in the city. Despite her appearance, the Countess posesses a shrewd mind and a deep understanding of how politics really work in the city."
"To an outside observer, the Countesses rise to power was quick and with little debate. However, for those aware, her increased power was not withou considerable gnashing of teeth and threats of murder."

Also Taalagad is the prominent port of talabheim, situated outside the Western point of the Taalbastion, just under the Wizard's Way.

All this said I hope it clarifies certain points.

Baron Grenz

Offline Overlord Fuzz

• Members
  • Sigmund of the Sacred Scythe
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
Here is the fluff on my general and my army. Hope you like it.

Sigmund Erloser vom Talabec, or "Sigmund Redeemer of the Talabec" was raised in an unconventional way. By sheer luck or perhaps the wishes of the gods, he was taken in by a small pack of wolves when his parents were slaughtered by highwaymen on the road from Talagaad to Talabheim. By the time of the seventh anniversary of this course of events he returned to his hometown of Talagaad. He studied and worshiped Taal to give thanks to nature and the mercy it had given him. The Great Forest and the River Talabec were some of his most beloved places and vowed to defend them and cleanse them of the foes of the Empire.

When he was at the age of twenty-six he began to gather other followers of Taal along with as many able soldiers as existed in the Province of Talabecland. Once his force was large enough, the Fist of Taal began their crusade against the forces of evil aiming to desecrate their homeland. Somewhat distancing themselves from the armies of Talabecland the Fist adopted the prominent colours of teal and black. Teal stands for the beatiful flowing River Talabec, while the black represented the tranquility of the Great Forest in the dead of night.

To this day Sigmund the Redeemer leads his troops against hordes of emerging Skaven, bloodthirsty greenskins and terrifying shambling corpses led by fallen lords that now prey upon the living as malicious Vampire Counts.

Offline aaakker

• Members
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »
I really love the map of Talabecland. But it features many cities and villages that I have never heard of (in warhammer stories/fluff). Is there anything known about these cities besides Talabheim?

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »
I really love the map of Talabecland. But it features many cities and villages that I have never heard of (in warhammer stories/fluff). Is there anything known about these cities besides Talabheim?

There might be something in the book Sigmar's Heirs, but other than that, I don't think so.