home

Author Topic: I hate Challenges in 8th Ed  (Read 7958 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
I hate Challenges in 8th Ed
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »
1 not having to accept challenges from lesser models;Lord can disregard hero and champion,hero can disregard  champion.with no repecussions.

Fluff-wise, it should be the other way around.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline emcdunna

• Members
Re: I hate Challenges in 8th Ed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
I really hate challenges too... whats a good way to fix it?

Honestly I might even try making champions unable to fight challenges... thats the annoying part:

"Hello mister chaos lord, heres a goblin champ who thinks he's hot stuff and is gonna make you unable to wreck my unit for a turn. Suck on that!"

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
I really hate challenges too... whats a good way to fix it?

Honestly I might even try making champions unable to fight challenges... thats the annoying part:

"Hello mister chaos lord, heres a goblin champ who thinks he's hot stuff and is gonna make you unable to wreck my unit for a turn. Suck on that!"

I think the ability to respond with your own champion fits this well. 
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:40 PM »
I hate that too, its just an unecessary pillowfight between 2 lame champs.

I just feel like challenges are so much work (to move models, resolve what happens, etc.)... if theres a challenge it should be between Archaon and Karl franz, not my sergeant and your Daemon prince.

There should just be less challenges. If you want to hit a character, do it.

In fact what if you had no challenges at all but you HAD TO target your attacks against the models that attacked you.

So this means whoever has the highest Initiative gets to decide who is fighting whom. If I am elves, my spearmen attack your ogre character. That character will probably live, but why can he just ignore their spear points and walk on over to my character and bash his face in?

And how come everyone fights with honor? Once you are in a challenge you can only direct your attacks at your partner... well why wouldnt you do some damage to other nearby guys if you felt like it? We already established that you can walk off some spearpoints and such and go attack whoever you want, so why not now?

Its just arbitrary and frustrating to me

Offline jack

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »
  I just hate how a monster mounted character is forced to accept a challenge from a unit champ[if he charges in unsupported or his supporting units champ is dead].With the lords attacks and his mounts attacks,breath and stomp,he could break  steadfast or cause undead crumbling.By accepting the challenge he is knowingly dooming himself to being flanked next turn.
eat till you are tired .sleep till you are hungry

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »
Unit Champs fighting challenges just annoys me so much. Maybe chaos ones (they're practically hero status) but not all unit Champs.

Maybe they should need to take a leadership/discipline test before they can issue a challenge?

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
  I just hate how a monster mounted character is forced to accept a challenge from a unit champ...

reincarnates dragon. gets into fist fights. genius

though in all seriousness (fluffwise speaking), i don't see why anyone would provoke someone on a giant monster. Would you ever challenge an F-16?

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:16:46 AM »
Are you sure it's a case of the champion stepping forward to face the dragon and not that the rest of the unit just took a step back? :-P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:50:19 AM by Baron von Klatz »
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »
If the model causes terror then unit Champs should just not be able to challenge. Or need to pass an insane courage test. I mean really people... why do goblin bosses lock down a fricken stardragon for a whole turn

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
Re: 8th Edition Revisions. 3 Suggestions per man.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:17:21 AM »
Are you sure it's a case of the champion stepping forward to face the dragon and not that the rest of the unit just took a step back? :-P

:icon_lol:

If the model causes terror then unit Champs should just not be able to challenge. Or need to pass an insane courage test. I mean really people... why do goblin bosses lock down a fricken stardragon for a whole turn

"Boss, we must stop godzilla stardragon but we ran out of fishes. all we have are goblins" wink wink nudge nudge
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:45:38 AM by iatroblast »

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:10 AM »
There's just too many shenanigans that happen because of challenges. I'd rather it be that challenges were not really a "thing", you just direct attacks against characters with your character, and that's it.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 02:46:20 AM »
I'll admit there are some problems with challenges, but some of my all time favorite moments are the challenges that happen in games. Of the brave white lion champion who killed two tomb king princes. Or Empire captain personally taking down any champion or hero who stood against him. It's some of the best fluff moments of the game. I myself would be pretty sad to see the whole mechanic go.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 05:02:45 AM »

And how come everyone fights with honor? Once you are in a challenge you can only direct your attacks at your partner... well why wouldnt you do some damage to other nearby guys if you felt like it? We already established that you can walk off some spearpoints and such and go attack whoever you want, so why not now?

Well, historically, a challenge usually happened before the two sides got stuck in and the combatants would fight between the armies. Our challenges seem a bit wonky since the actual fight between two formations is going on at the same time.  But supposedly, everyone respects it enough not to interfere (and vice versa).

As far as good sportsmanship, I remember reading a book that cited an account during the Jewish revolt. A Roman and an Israelite squared off while everyone else watched. The Roman was going to win, but tripped and fell and the other guy stabbed him, then stood over him and kind of did his version of a touchdown dance and mocked the Roman, which annoyed them to no end. So a Roman centurion (I think) borrowed a bow and shot him.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 05:26:02 AM »
I actually had a scenario idea that may be a good alternative to WFB challenges.

My idea was thatt you pick a champion, hero, or lord to fight for your side (before the main battle begins).

Each side puts forth their champion, they fight up to 3 rounds of combat against each other, and whoever wins the challenge gains a bonus in the battle (getting the first turn perhaps) in addition to removing an enemy model.

Would that be a possible replacement for challenges?

Or what if you could engage in challenges outside of combat (like if you're within 12" of an enemy character, you can leave your unit and go fight a personal, separate combat?

Offline Deuce

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
Balancing challenges between monsters and unit champions (or lesser heroes, for that matter) seems to have been one of the bigger problems with the game over the years, with heroes and monsters becoming either underpowered against chaff units or overpowered against the rest. The best solution is probably a capped Overkill, where wounds scored against the champion count against the unit for the purposes of a break test even if it's more wounds than the champion has - but with a reasonable upper limit. But this immediately breaks when it comes into contact with Steadfast.

In fact while I appreciate what Steadfast was trying to do, it does seem like it is causing a lot of the issues with 8th edition and it's usually one of the first things people look at for revision.

But challenges themselves also seem wonky, and iirc are basically a legacy rule from when the game was much more RP-oriented. While they're a nice fluff feature and for that reason I'd be sorry to see them go, I'm not sure how much of a place they really have in the modern ruleset.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
Did someone say steadfast?

Haha. In my rules overhaul mod, I haven't gotten to the combat resolution stage yet.

I was thinking I might not need it, or steadfast. Instead, if the unit is below half strength, you have to take a courage test (like leadership). This means you're basically unbreakable until you lose 1/2 guys.

Then there'd be modifiers and flanking/rear charging would force a courage test too (even if above 1/2 strength)...

Basically, I wwant to make combat resolution:
1) simpler to calculate (less mistakes makes for a good game)
2) don't have to take a leadership test every round
3) have flanking or killing be the primary ways to break an enemy. Either you massacre them or you out manuevere them

Maybe challenges would be less of a deal then.

Or maybe if challenges would literally mean the difference between your unitt breaking or not (lose the challenge and you need tto passs a courage test) then that'd also fix the problem.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
reincarnates dragon. gets into fist fights. genius

:icon_lol:

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Challenges are great when they're proper heroes squaring off. I've had some epic rivalries in my 8th ed games.

But I do wish Monster-mounted characters or Monster characters could refuse without penalty. It'd avoid the messed up combat resolution that inevitably happens.

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Challenges are great when they're proper heroes squaring off. I've had some epic rivalries in my 8th ed games.

But I do wish Monster-mounted characters or Monster characters could refuse without penalty. It'd avoid the messed up combat resolution that inevitably happens.

This is a fluff wise discussion right?

Because purely based on game mechanics champions add dept to tactics. They are one of the few things that can stand up against these super-killer characters on massive mounts. Otherwise you have to give every army that cant field such a thing themselves a cannon, which results in a rock-paper-scissor outcome (more Canon-Mounted monster-Canon).

Also soaking up wounds is very tactical. If you remove the challenging part, why ever take a champion?

Another part: let's never take a banner because we are steadfast. Why are you taking a banner? You lose to powerhouses anyway.

I know, let's all just play 8th ED warriors of chaos. No we should not. So we need challenge rules or mechanics that bring dept to the game.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »

Dont't be fooled by the first post, which was taken from another thread to start this one - and not by me.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 11:46:50 PM »
It's about fluff, and rules simplicity. Tactically, challenges are a tool to beat your opponent. But the way they do that is somewhat annoying and un favorable to some of us.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »

Dont't be fooled by the first post, which was taken from another thread to start this one - and not by me.

Correct.
I did it. I thought it was an interesting conversation and worthy of its own thread. It was from Chumley's 'if you could change 3 things' thread.

This can easily be a fluff or rules conversation. You can even answer both parts in the same post with two different paragraphs!

I'll admit there are some problems with challenges, but some of my all time favorite moments are the challenges that happen in games. Of the brave white lion champion who killed two tomb king princes. Or Empire captain personally taking down any champion or hero who stood against him. It's some of the best fluff moments of the game. I myself would be pretty sad to see the whole mechanic go.

That's an interesting point, and one I didn't consider. Often after the game, recalling the 'heroic' moments are fun.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
Theres a lot of things to love about this game.

I think the entire way characters interact with units could be changed. Combat (simply by measuring base to base) causes a crud ton of issues. Sure its not as bad as literally measuring model to model, but characters definitely throw a wrench into the works.

Challenges are one thing, but character walls, conga lines, and all that crud make it even worse.

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »
How about this: when fighting in a challenge you can divide your attacks between the challenger and his unit freely, but if you are unable to kill the challenger with the attacks so assigned, the rest og your attacks are lost.
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »
Interesting thought.

It does seem to counter the champion challenge spam.

I was just hoping for something that fixed the problem while simultaneously making it easier/simpler as well.