home

Author Topic: Possible Cavalry nerf fix?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Chambo

• Members
Possible Cavalry nerf fix?
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:41:48 AM »
One way to possibly fix the 8th ED cavalry nerf could be to modify the core steadfast rule. Instead of the unit with the most ranks being stubborn, how about bringing back the old out numbering rule. Instead of +1 CR, how about the unit that out numbers its opponent in combat becomes stubborn. It would fit better with the steadfast description in the BRB and cavalry would be more likely to out number an infantry unit than have more ranks then one.
Be professional, be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline Ricardo-PB

• Members
  • Loves the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
Re: Possible Cavalry nerf fix?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:32 AM »
Ummm... I don't see how that would help.

Sorry, but wouldn't they be more likely to have more ranks? I.e Bretonians, than they would to have more numbers? I think the logic behind this is that a unit with more people behind it will and does fight better.

Sorry for being negative, but... maybe I missed something?
Our skins may be thin, but, Our women are the finest, our armor the thickest, our spirits the strongest, and our weapons even stronger when we're filled with the spirit of alcoholic spirits and women! So sharpen your halberds, prime the guns, and remember that we fight the good fight for our Empire!

Offline Chambo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:32:30 AM »
With the outnumbering rule cav models counted as 2 each. So a unit of 10 knights(5x2) would count the same as a 20 strong infantry unit(5x4). Under 8th ED the infantry unit would be steadfast for having 4 ranks compared to the knights 2. In my modified rules both units are equal, therefore the knights nerf is reduced. 

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:57:43 AM »
The best way to fix cav is to remove the idiotic rule that steadfast isn't negated if you're outflanked.  Cav, with their higher move, should be able to get flanking charges easily enough (assuming your opponent doesn't protect his flanks).

As a bonus, changing this rule brings an element of manoeuvre back to the game.

Offline Chambo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:15:18 AM »
The best way to fix cav is to remove the idiotic rule that steadfast isn't negated if you're outflanked.  Cav, with their higher move, should be able to get flanking charges easily enough (assuming your opponent doesn't protect his flanks).

Totally agree with you there!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:43:48 AM »

This is currently one of my big complaints about 8th. I agree with this solution, and think this would balance things a bit more.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:47:41 AM »

with 4x6 board, half of which is already used and only 6 turns there isn't a whole lot of maneuver in the game. tables 6x12 and unlimited turns or set objectives allow some maneuver, a gym floor and the whole weekend, well now, that is where maneuvers come into play.  steveb

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Well cavalry alone won´t win a fight but infantry in the front AND cavalry in the flank will.

I am so glad that now infantry is great again (I really am).

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
One way to possibly fix the 8th ED cavalry nerf could be to modify the core steadfast rule. Instead of the unit with the most ranks being stubborn, how about bringing back the old out numbering rule. Instead of +1 CR, how about the unit that out numbers its opponent in combat becomes stubborn. It would fit better with the steadfast description in the BRB and cavalry would be more likely to out number an infantry unit than have more ranks then one.

One problem - that would require to bring unit strength back. Sure, it's easy with infantry and cav, but it starts to get tricky with mixed units.

I think US was dropped deliberatly to simplify the game.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
I am so glad that now monstrous infantry is great again (I really am).

Fixed it for you!  :engel:
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
I have had tremendous success with Orc boar boyz.  A unit of sixteen with the the warboss absoultely murders the enemy.  Seventeen S5 attacks plus the warboss is awesome.  Add that with the new book it will be 12 S6 and 5 S5 plus 4 S5 from Gorbad from the boss and you have a scary little unit indeed!  What more do you really want out of a cavalry unit?

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
Well Philly, your unit automatically loses to a unit of 50 skavenslaves, and then flees with no ability to hold whatsoever.

I'm afraid you've automatically lost by using cavalry.

Sadly, Fandir has already pointed out what I wanted to. I think it was something to do with "combined".
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »
My 60 angry night goblins with spears will fight proudly against those slaves.  Combined with the nets they do fine.  Particularly now that they are only 3 points each instead of 4!

And 16 attacks from a giant spider!  That helps too!

Phil

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
Gorbad...

Pray this dude does not flee!

BSB...
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Well, I am not really sure I will use him.  I have the model and love his rules.  I just wish he could take a magic banner!

My army normally uses Grimgor, especially with the buff he grants black orcs now!

Phil

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 07:47:33 PM »
Doesn't matter what you say PhillyT, you're using cavalry, you've already lost the entire game regardless of anything whatsoever. It's written down in the rules somewhere.

In a bit of a mood after reading a thread on warseer.  :roll:

Stupid bloody idiots over there.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
That place is only good for the rumor roundups.  They are a bucnh of complete idiots.  The best part is how they clamor for rumors and when they get them they complain how crappy the books are!

Phil