home

Author Topic: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Thread Superseded!!!  (Read 110728 times)

Offline Spjuth

• Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - SPHINXES!
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2012, 07:14:18 AM »
Very cool idea!

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
I made a quick sketch to elaborate my previous post.... :engel:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:27:47 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
I think the heads are in about the right place - I've held the models up in front of the drawing at the right distance so they match up, as it were, and they are very close. The models have longer legs, which complicates the measurment a little, but the positions are about right.

The models will end up looking pretty "chesty" because they have heavy armor on . . . this is going to look like Sophia Vergara wearing a padded bra by the time we are done.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
An interesting (and rather scary) idea! I'm looking forward to seeing them painted.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
@Darius; I didn't see your sketch before - apologies.

I think the photograph does not clearly show just how thick the barding is - that positioning of the head would put the nose plane in front of the nipples, so to speak (a sentence I never expected to have to type). While it is perfectly acceptable in classical anatomy for the nose to be further forward than the nipples, not in "fantasy" art.

Larry Elmore, I am looking at you.

The sphinx with the head tilted forward - closer in position to the drawing - the one with the braided hair, has her nose and nipples in exactly the same relationship as the drawing. The girl with the 'fro is rocking the "all this and brains too" look.

And, yes, Rufus - they are pretty scary. My wife - who barely twitches at dragons and manticores etc. - refuses to look at them. She did not like the centaur either - I think there is something about the purity of the human form violated; chimerical animals are one thing, but with human elements in there ring some dark bells.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:41:57 AM by Darknight »

Offline Auberoun

• Members
  • Moguling the crap out of life.
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Can't wait to see these done!  Perhaps I missed it, but what will they count as?  Demigriffs? 
The world you believe is reality is a puppet show!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Demigryphs, yes - they are based on those models of course. They will have knights on them, mostly because the saddles will look silly otherwise :)

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2012, 03:58:37 AM »
Demigryphs, yes - they are based on those models of course. They will have knights on them, mostly because the saddles will look silly otherwise :)

Cue quotes and innuendo.... :icon_eek:
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Quotes and innuendo? On the internet? Say it ain't so!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:11 AM »
I have assembled one of the sphinxes with rider, minus some green stuffing and some little details (she needs her cleavage and her sepent tail, he needs some kind of manacles on his ankles). Click for larger images;

Some details; the banner design is shamelessly stolen copied inspired by a picture I saw on here (I cannot remember who it was; I want to say it was the fellow who had the cork basing for his demigryphs? If I find the name I will put it here with a link) EDIT : Here it is. Obviously, it is the banner from the General kit. I have modified it by using the lance to make a spear (complete with the ubiquitous laurel wreath) and I have modified the shield to have my army's motif on it. I have also drilled the eyes out of a female head and sliced the face off to make a "mask" which is being held in the skeleton's hand; the imagery is that the "mask is off" and "the truth is revealed".

While the DGK weapons and shields were nice, I wanted something different (they match the barding of the Demigryphons, and - paradoxically - I wanted them to look different). So, I have used Bretonian pieces to make weapons and shields; the weapons are a sort of half-way house between a lance and a halberd. I will put a Melite cross on the shield, of course. The number is because I was test-fitting models in place, test-fitting the demigryphons on the different bases, and so forth - I wanted to know what was what.

Yes, I know - I finished the last one first :)

I used hairy heads for the knights, and green-stuffed bandages around the eyes. The Greek Sphinx is part of the story of Oedipus, who blinds himself on learning the truth (of his incest and fratricide). I am going to paint these models as blinded - with blood trickling from the bandages - and rather rough and unkempt. I will also - in keeping with the Oedipus legend - have manacles of some sort on the Knight's ankles. The Knights' laurel wreaths will be painted to be withered and brown, their armour battered and rusty etc. The Sphinxes themselves will be rich golden lionesses with bright wings and glossy black armour with golden details.

The "fluff" for these models is that these knights have learned "the truth" and have been driven half-mad by the riddling intelligence of the Sphinxes, and have blinded themselves out of desperation in an attempt to avoid the madness. In terms of rules, it is the Demigryphs which do all the damage, and so a blinded Knight is not too much of a stretch in terms of fluff!

Anyway, that is where we are so far! I'm pretty excited by them - I think the model has come together well, although they could be a nightmare to paint. The other two will have different wing positions, making a bit of interest in the unit.

Comments welcome!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:30:58 AM by Darknight »

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2012, 03:25:11 AM »
They are looking great! I would love to see them when they are finished.
Where did you ever get the idea of sphinxes?  :engel:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2012, 03:30:22 AM »
They are looking great! I would love to see them when they are finished.

Thank you! I will certainly be posting pictures, both in progress and when they are completed.

Where did you ever get the idea of sphinxes?  :engel:

I am not sure I can remember; certainly, they fit with the Greek theme of the army. I think when I saw the kit I was inspired, or maybe it was when the comparison chart of the various "types" of gryphons was posted, and some of them were some kind of "sphinx".

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2012, 03:33:12 AM »
Call them Sphinxes and mount hoplites on them  :biggriin:

Genius!

Would this sort of thing be FAR too ridiculous?

(EDIT : The image isn't showing up - I guess no direct link? - but here is it in situ LINK WARNING! Pencil drawing of a Greek sphinx with bare breasts.)

Or would it be awesome? The armor plate at the front of the models could hide the breasts and the join between the human torso and head and the lion body; some little wings could go in place very easily . . .

I wouldn't put hoplites on them - my army is a sort of mix of Greek and classic Germanic Empire - but making some sphinxes would rock, in my view.

Thanks very much for the inspiration! That is TOTALLY what I am going to do!
Hehehe sorry  :engel: I'm just flattered
― Thomas Paine

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2012, 03:36:06 AM »
LOL! I just spent the time in between posting my response to you and reading this going through your posts to find if you were the one who suggested it (as implied by the grinning Angel of Studied Innocence) so I could credit you. Alas, too many posts to read quickly enough.

Anyway, thanks! Good inspiration and look, it is being done! :)

:::cheers:::

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2012, 03:43:50 AM »
 :::cheers:::
they look great! now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for my own monstrous cavalry  :blush:
― Thomas Paine

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2012, 03:53:42 AM »
Bears! Bears are always full of win!

Do not buy actual wargames miniature bears, which are foolishly expensive. Rather, buy plastic toys. There are many different brands out there which are less than $10 per figure, often much closer to $5 or less. One you have green stuffed a saddle on, plonked a knight on the back, and glued them to Tiny's awesome resin bases, you can't tell it's not a "real" wargames figure.

I am totally going to make a cyclops via this method - click it to see what I will be ordering next month!

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2012, 04:07:55 AM »
I'm going to have to do that, should I get the knights from the demi gryph kit through some bits dealers too?
I like where you are going with that cyclops also! I'll be referring your link to my brother who has a "slight"  giant obsession.
― Thomas Paine

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
I'm going to have to do that, should I get the knights from the demi gryph kit through some bits dealers too?

I wouldn't - the knights in the kit are explicitly Demigryph Knights, sculpted with appropriate details. You'd likely end up paying a premium for them, and you don't really need them. You can probably kitbash something from a mix of other horsemen.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:31:41 AM by Darknight »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2012, 02:56:54 AM »
Done some more work on the sphinxes today - pretty much got all the cutting and sticking done, just a fair bit of green stuff work to do on them now. As usual, click for a larger picture.

And, if you are interested, I have been re-working the first post in this thread to better serve as a link to the things in it and elsewhere in the forum.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »
Rise, oh thread! Rise from the ashes! Rise from the tomb! Rise up! Rise up! RISE UP!

Threadomancy ahoy!

Anyway; my thread, and I have new stuff to show. Firstly, a unit-filler for my Greatswords - click for larger image;

And here is a collection of unpainted models for my infantry units, which - together with unit fillers and a few other figures, will bring my Greatswords to 40 and the associated swordsmen detachments to 15 apiece. Again, click for larger image;

Offline beno1440

• Members
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2012, 11:13:31 PM »
way too many cool ideas for one thread - gonna take me a month to get through them all! Thoroughly inspiring work sir  :::cheers:::

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
Bears! Bears are always full of win!
I am totally going to make a cyclops via this method - click it to see what I will be ordering next month!
It stands 4.5” tall and is appropriate for ages 3+.  ::heretic:: lol

love the concept .... (still waiting for my "idea" for Demi`s)

Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - New Swords / Greatswords
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »
COOKING FAT! Blurry animal!

Well, it's not as bad as all that - it looked much worse when I first glanced at it. My cat jumped from the windowledge onto some of my models. She broke a few of them, and bent a few swords. It looked MUCH worse than it actually was - I had incomplete models and parts mixed in on a little table with completed figures waiting varnish, and she scattered as much as broke. Still, I had to do a little repair on my Cannon Minotaur and one of the Sphinxes - but they are none the worse for wear - and also had to repair and repaint "Tebow".

She was very contrite - I did not shout at her, because I was in despair - and I checked her to see if she was okay and uninured (she was - but she was startled by little bright things scattering under her furry paws).

Anyway, then I grabbed the painted minis (after reparing Tebow) and varnished them, so they can go in the cabinet and be safe from roving wingless griffons. I varnished them . . . and today is not my day. I had to repaint a few touches on one of them because of fogging (likely humidity in the air).

So, not the best morning (I also forgot to set the timer for the poached eggs, so they were hit-and-miss). Never mind - figures repaired, fogging touched over and eggs weren't a disaster!

Here are the latest minis for my greatsword unit and swordsmen detachments. I have now got - thanks to Pleasant Surprise from Anvalous, bitz box raiding for some Ogres to use as fillers, an order with Reaper and frenetic kitbashing with bits from Dammanz & von Reinhart (thanks, lads!) - models to make a unit of 39 Greatswords + priest, and two detachments of 20 swordsmen each. More pics to follow when I get the next round painted, plus a pic of everything from my "infantry center" together.

(Click for larger pic)

You can, of course, go up and see "Tebow" the paladin who is a unit-filler.

Offline beno1440

• Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - COOKING FAT!
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
Can't wait to see the greatsword unit finished - gonna look stunning!

Cats + models = recipe for disaster! My cat always thinks she can sneak across the painting table whilst I'm working and I won't notice - you can almost hear the supressed snigger as she creeps behind the water jar. Of course she always gets spooked halfway across and makes a mad dash for the shelf spreading brushes, paint and models all over the place... then sits and looks at me innocently, pretending that nothing ever happened :icon_evil:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - COOKING FAT!
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
I finally got around to putting some flock on the base and adding the little detail that makes the model part of the Order (the shield and the laurel wreath). It was really rather nice to be able to do that - add that detail; it was almost like I was inducting the minotaur into the Order.

Anyway, here he is - painted by Anvalous, this year's pleasant surprise, unit-filler for my Greatswords .... the minotaur!

(Click for larger image)

EDIT : My server is really acting up - it seems to be the hosting company, and not just my domain. The images will likely load VERY slowly, and perhaps not at all :(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:56:27 AM by Darknight »