home

Author Topic: AoS Rules Questions  (Read 37232 times)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: AoS Rules Questions
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
4. The attack section refers to "weapon options" available on your scroll. In the case Karl Franz, for example, he can fight with the Runefang or Ghal Maraz. Simple enough, one or the other. How about Deathclaw -- does he fight with both claw and beak, or it it an "option" to pick one or the other?

Yeah the model attacks with all melee weapons, for example if he has 4 different weapons he will attack with all of them simultaneously.

From reading the Karl-Franz Warscroll, he can only use either the Runefang or Ghal-Maraz, but not both.  Deathclaw however, can do both of his melee abilities.

The Steam Tank as far as I can tell can now use the cannon and the gun, and the HLR, and grind in melee.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

Offline Gunman006

• Members
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »
From reading the Karl-Franz Warscroll, he can only use either the Runefang or Ghal-Maraz, but not both.  Deathclaw however, can do both of his melee abilities.

The Steam Tank as far as I can tell can now use the cannon and the gun, and the HLR, and grind in melee.

So it can be different from hero to hero? Well that is not exactly making it simpler. Oh well, at this point what difference does it make. I need to step back and let it all sink in. People sure are excited and happy about AoS, and if this really saves Warhammer then I guess it was all for the better.
http://wargaming.no/

Government? You call this a government? It looks like something a deranged Snotling would come up with! - Bretonnian Ambassador to the Court of Emperor Karl Franz

Offline Dotification

• Members
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
Question #1: can Heroes join units???  Are my War Machine-consulting Engineers consigned to their fates?

Question #2:

Say with Empire's State Troop Detachment's Stand Together, Fighter Together ability, Greatswords' Oathsworn Honour Guard ability, & a Hurricanum's Portents of Battle for +1 to hit, then do GS's always hit in this setup?

GS 4+ To Hit
ST, FT: +1 to Hit
OHG: +1 To Hit
PoB: +1 to Hit

so rolling even a 1, +3 = 4.

If we're NOT staying on topic in this thread after all, well then have my non-salty 2 cents;

My particular group of buddies is largely curious/open-minded/possibly optimistic to play-test this after our next 8th Ed. tournament,* which may be our last (if we like AoS enough to skip North Star 8th Ed. in the fall.)  Change *can* be a good thing!  I'm still trying to wrap my head around setting up games quickly & relatively fairly, other than an eyeball test.  Magic & movement phases should be quicker in AoS.

I know how easy it is to be cynical in this day & age, but this might bring more fun people into the game, push out some WAAC try-harders to WarmaHordes/whatever, & hopefully bring in enough new blood to offset whatever schism occurs within the community.  It looks like an easier hobby/game to get into now, which is what they're shooting for, rather than trying to endlessly wring blood from old stones. 

Me personally; my FW Manaan's Blades might see some action finally, with swords/boards looking decent for State Troops!  Freikorps Militia might be worth a damn now, while, sadly, Witch Hunters prolly aren't.  Marius looks tougher & less loony, Kurt Helborg looks more viable alongside his Reiksguard, though is still missing a shield, Karl Franz remains solid, Griffons look better, Balthasar slightly less, Markus Wulfhart buffs his Archers better, Grand Master lost his Runefang, while his Inner Circle Knights are only +1 Bravery over Empire Knights, Demigryph knights have viable cavalry halberds, Flagellants look intriguing, Battle Prayers & Light of Banishment/Storms of Shemtek/Searing Beams of Light can't be EZ dispelled/unbinded anymore, the new War Altar deserves its own thread to unpack, & so on, & so forth.  Hopefully more *give than *take.*

* Lady of the Lake if anyone listens to LakeSwatt podcast or games in/near Minnesota, USA.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
Question 1: "A unit can have one or more models, but cannot include models that use di¸fferent warscrolls." However, each Warmachine has a specific bonus, if there is an Engineer within 1".

Question 2: Correct.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »
Well, Tuesday I get to actually play a game!
7 scrolls or less.

I think I'm gonna dust off the Auld Bretonnians!!!
Down with the peasants!

I'll let you know what it's like from a game mechanics POV.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Daymz

• Members
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »

As Oxycutor says. It's very WYSIWYG now. Models come in different outfits, so whatever model you choose or whatever you chose to make with it has its rules. Obvious with the General of the Empire, which clearly states what kind of outfits they come in, and Volkmar the Grim, which clearly states he carries and attacks with both weapons.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
Chaps - can you do multi-charges?

Can you fire in combat, as in, the bloke using the knife to beat off the chaos chosen whilst shooting his bow off in his left hand?

Can you fire into combat? If so, is it divided randomly?
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2015, 07:39:56 PM »
Yes to all questions. The rules do not mention anything about random distribution, or a fixed sequence like R&F before command group.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:45:17 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »
Well, that's slightly horrifiying
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
Well, that's slightly horrifiying

Nah, anything to kill things faster in this game is a good thing. It's only fun if it's over fast.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
Note the wording for Standard bearers/musicians: "Models in this unit may be X. If the unit includes any X..." Prima facie, this means their function is not automatically taken over by another available model. But you could decide to have a unit completely made out of SB (presumably with the exception of the Preceptor). 

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2015, 08:50:16 PM »
Note the wording for Standard bearers/musicians: "Models in this unit may be X. If the unit includes any X..." Prima facie, this means their function is not automatically taken over by another available model. But you could decide to have a unit completely made out of SB (presumably with the exception of the Preceptor).

I wonder if the roles exclude eachother... Units of sb's and musicians combined..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline shavixmir

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
You choose which models die or flee.
So you don't need to put 30 standard bearers in a unit.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
Yes, I already forgot about that one [probably an indication of my interest]: "After all of the attacks made by a unit have been carried out, the player commanding the target unit allocates any wounds that are inflicted to models from the unit as they see fit (the models do not have to be within range or visible to an attacking unit)."

On a side note: probably for the first time, there is no reason not to take Volkmar on the War Altar. He is much better than an Arch Lector, and does not cost anything.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:03:28 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »
Chaps - can you do multi-charges?

Can you fire in combat, as in, the bloke using the knife to beat off the chaos chosen whilst shooting his bow off in his left hand?

Can you fire into combat? If so, is it divided randomly?

Yes, you can do multi-charges.  However in the combat phase, the player whose turn it is picks one of their units to attack with, if it's the unit that charged two or more units, then you can hurt two units in one go.   However, as the other player then picks one of their units that is in combat, and it doesn't have to be the same combat, they can ignore that fight until later in the phase if there are other combats going on.

Yes, you can fire into combat.   And out of combat.   Basically shooting and melee attacking work the same way.  Any model in range of the target UNIT with the weapion, and visible to the attacking model (they can see through friendly models in the same unit) then roll attack/wound/save and so on.

There is nothing to say you can't shoot into a combat, and by the rules you'll only hit the target unit.  Likewise, there is nothing preventing you from shooting while you're already in combat at any visible unit in range, though I'm guessing point blank at the unit you're in combat with would be in your best interest to be the one to shoot at.

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
But still: Why not make your whole unit Hornblowers ? it is free anyway!

There might be some special rules I have missed (on one of the hundreds of warscrolls...), assuming external balance (yes far-fetched) otherwise any discussion is void, what does bravery (>5) do for single models?

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
I suppose you could take all hornblowers, though the ability wouldn't stack.   it says "If the unit contains any hornblowers...", rather than "for each hornblower..."

Terrorgheist in the Vampire Counts list does a Death Shriek vs Bravery.   it is redundant for battleshock tests though, as single model units would never actually take one.

Though, there might also be a command ability, where a unit can use the Bravery of the single model for battleshock.  Though inspiring presence, and most command abilites are better than that anyway.

Oh, regardign command abilities, lots of characters have them, but only the model chosen as the general can use it, though some models have a hero-phse ability, or another command ability, that can enable other models to also use theirs.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »
But still: Why not make your whole unit Hornblowers ?

Brass band!

I'd let it happen - if you converted the models...
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2015, 11:27:51 PM »

Brass band!

What converting? I've enough command models laying around...

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2015, 11:29:20 PM »
Well, paint 'em then :)

I'd love to play against it. I would even let you get a re-roll if you played a kazoo in your hero phase.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:07 AM »
The rules say you have to be aboe to see gour enemy to shoot at them, don't they?
Am I correct in supposing that a unit of thunderers in melee can therefore only shoot at the unit(s) they're in close combat with?

Sounds reasonable enough?

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2015, 04:32:44 AM »
Yes a unit can do that.  among other things it means shooting units are king if you play RAW. A unit of hand gunners would grind down a unit of state troops with little difficulty. It's so powerful An advantage it makes me wonder if it was intentional. 

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:28 AM »

Brass band!

I have kind of always wanted to see a marching band unit...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »

Brass band!

I have kind of always wanted to see a marching band unit...

SteveB has one.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2015, 08:48:37 PM »
Under state troops Description,    "Units of Empire State Troops are either armed with Halberds, Spears, or Swords."

Does this mean the unit must all be armed with one of those weapons, or can they mix and match within the unit?   I'm inclined to think the former, since that's how it has always been in WFB, but it's not exactly clear.

Under the determine damage part of the rules in order to roll several dice at once, you need the same to hit, wound and rend, and at the same target, why would it even need to say that?

I suppose it says units are armed, rather than models are armed.