home

Author Topic: Rules question - Throwing Axes, Burning Head  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Willem I

• Members
  • Sovereign Prince of the Netherlands
Rules question - Throwing Axes, Burning Head
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »
Hey all,

Having recently started with Fantasy, I have a few rules questions. Maybe any of you can shine a light on this?

- Do Marauder Horsemen with Throwing Axes have the +1S in close combat as well? We can't find a rule that the Throwing Axes can't be used in close combat.

- The Fire spell The Burning Head says the skull behaves like a bouncing cannonball. Does that mean that you nominate a spot, add Artillery die inches, and then a bounce for Artillery die inches? That's how we play it now, but can imagine you roll the Artillery die only once.

Just two things we couldn't figure out with the rulebook.
History in the making: Averland 8th Militia

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

~ from Kakito Marushijins play, No Mans Bride

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Rules question - Throwing Axes, Burning Head
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
I don't have the rulebook with me, but missile weapons and melee weapons are separate categories. If the throwing axes are not listed under melee weapons then they use their hand weapons in combat. It is a permissive rules system so it has to say you use such and such a weapon in combat for you to use it, rather than specifying that you can't in order to forbid it.

The burning head, as I understand it, acts as an 18 inch cannonball bounce starting at the caster. The reference to cannonball is to tell you how to work out who is hit, and also that Monstrous Infantry will stop the bounce if it does not score a kill, like with a cannonball. It has nothing to do with Artillery Dice at all. 18 inch cannonball template starting at the caster.

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
Pretty clear one on the throwing axes.

For the skull; that's another perspective to the spell... Any way to get a definitive answer to how The Burning Head works?

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »

For the skull; that's another perspective to the spell... Any way to get a definitive answer to how The Burning Head works?

it's the correct perspective..

First the spell says to extend a straight line of 18 inch then look at each model in the way (as with a bounching cannonball) aka here it is mentioned that if you hit rnf models only 1 is hit per file or rank (depending on how you enter the unit). then each of those models take a S4hit
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »

it's the correct perspective..

First the spell says to extend a straight line of 18 inch then look at each model in the way (as with a bouncing cannonball) aka here it is mentioned that if you hit rnf models only 1 is hit per file or rank (depending on how you enter the unit). then each of those models take a S4hit

Indeed. The Artillery dice are not used for the Burning head spell. The reference to a bouncing cannonball is only to clarify who is hit. Characters get a look out sir roll, everyone under the 18" straight line is hit, etc.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:15 AM »
Aha, thanks for clearing that up :)

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.