home

Author Topic: Gooby's Invasion of Hochland 1200p - 3 Battle Campaign (Picture heavy)  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Gunman006

• Members
Gooby's Invasion of Hochland

This was a 3 part battle campaign, using the interactive "Border Wars" ibook. It was really fun having a more RPG and fluffy background to the battle with each battle having an nice effect on the next without letting the winner become overpowered. Not being in full control of the deployment was especially interesting and forced us to make harder decisions. We forgot to take notes during the campaign so will definately make the next campaign more informative.

I will quickly summarize the first two battles then give a more detailed description of the third battle with battlereporter and lots of pictures.

Empire: Baron La Valette of Hochland

1 General
8 Inner Circle Knights with Preceptor
25 Spearmen, FC, Captain, WP
16 Spearmen no command
1 Pegasus Captain
1 Wizard Lore of Fire lvl1
1 Cannon

Orcs & Goblins: Warlord Gooby's warhost

1 Goblin Warlord
1 Shaman
10 Black Orcs
20 Night Goblin Spears FC
20 Night Goblin Spears FC
20 Night Goblin Archers FC
10 Goblin Spider riders
3 Fanatics
1 Troll

1st Battle: Gooby's incursion into Hochland

Gooby invades Hochland, the Elector Count sends Baron La Valette to deal with the invasion.

The first battle the battlefield and deployment gave me the highground, my knights were able to smash through the spider riders and slaughter the goblin archers, the state troops made a tactical retreat from the black orcs allowing for my second unit to flank and destroy the black orcs. With the black orcs defeated and Gooby's unit surrounded the victory belonged to Baron Valette.

2nd Battle: Baron La Valette pursues Gooby's host
Having defeated Gooby's Waagh the Baron La Valette pursues the horde back into their lair in the Middle Mountains, but he is in for a hard battle.

The second battle was a total rout for me, even though rolling perfect artillery position I chose very bad strategy being too slow and insecure with where to push. My opponent however used synergy and skill allowing him to massacre all opposition only losing his archers to my Pegasus. Both the Black Orcs and Inner Circle knights were not able to join the battle at the start and had to enter as reinforcements, I failed the charge and the Black Orcs brutally killed all inner circle knights in two turns. (the warp prop is from the wizard casting irresistable force taking out 12 goblin spears in the process of casting himself into the abyss)

3rd Battle: Final Battle
After completely humilating the Baron, Gooby once again launches his invasion of Hochland, this time determined to win at all cost.

The Baron, regroups his army and stands ready to defend

The battle is joined

Battlereport:

The spider riders coming in with a special campaign ambush rule failes to roll for turn 1 charge, so the cannon gets 2 free shots before they charge,  hitting on the first hit but misses the second before it is taken out.

My strategy was to try and kill off his Black Orcs asap, but the plan backfires as my state troops with no command stand no chance against his black orcs and troll. Tried to lure him to attack my pegasus letting my full command state troop flank the black orcs, but my opponent saw through
it and went straight for state troops instead.

I lose 4 knights to a devestating fanatic attack before being able to kill them off, the goblin wizard gets thrown into the abyss with IF but casts sneaky stabbin on the night goblins coming behind the forest on my rear and together they completely destroys my state troops in round 4.

The pegasus makes a hasty retreat using his flying and speed to his advantage, I'm able to regroup and destroy his archers and spider riders in my charge.

The battle ended at round 6, if we were too keep going I think i would have lost to his black orcs, goblins and troll, but neither of us were able to get the necessary points to declare victory and the final battle ends in a draw.

Both Gooby and La Valette retires back to their homeland, bloodied and exhausted, neither were able to declare themself victors.

Pictures from the final battle:

Thoughts, feedback and criticism are all welcome  :biggriin: In conclusion it was really an awesome campaign and a good learning experience.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:46:35 PM by Gunman006 »
http://wargaming.no/

Government? You call this a government? It looks like something a deranged Snotling would come up with! - Bretonnian Ambassador to the Court of Emperor Karl Franz

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
well for a 3 battle campaign thingy you definatly made sure to even out on wins!  :::cheers:::

Good report!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
Re: Gooby's Invasion of Hochland 1200p - 3 Battle Campaign (Picture heavy)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
Interesting little thread. Also is it me, or are people posting less battle reports these days; this is on page one of our BatRep section and is over 60 days old.....

Offline undivided.capital

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 04:27:00 AM »
Really liked this report. Good to read! I'd like to know more about the campaign in general and what you guys had set out rules wise? Did anyone get bonuses for winning certain matches?
Thanks,

Sam Taylor

Offline Gunman006

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
Really liked this report. Good to read! I'd like to know more about the campaign in general and what you guys had set out rules wise? Did anyone get bonuses for winning certain matches?

We used standard rules and the Battlefield: Border Wars, so we had stratagems but in general you didn't get bonuses for winning, it was mostly based on who won the skill test for the battle, and different tactics that led to variations of deployment which was interesting. Would have been fun to Write them down, will do in the next match as we are running a new three part campaign.

Really like border wars campaigns but it can lead to really one sided matches, for example playing Skaven vs Dwarves I had lost two battles, and for this my punishment was to remove 25% of my points the result was a total walk over  :icon_razz: Skaven does not need additional negative factors when facing dwarves..

Government? You call this a government? It looks like something a deranged Snotling would come up with! - Bretonnian Ambassador to the Court of Emperor Karl Franz

Offline Gunman006

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 08:50:35 AM »
Interesting little thread. Also is it me, or are people posting less battle reports these days; this is on page one of our BatRep section and is over 60 days old.....

One theory might be tablets, with interest in writing battlereps you still need free time or discipline to take time. I have the free time but not discipline. I would blame tablets and smartphones, you never see anyone relaxing anymore even at family get togethers or in houses everyone is stuck to their tablets 24/7.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
Interesting theory Gunman, can't say I agree completely but since I find myself reluctant to patronise GW Dublin these days you may have a point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Maybe fewer games are being played? Also, do interesting battle reports ever feature in the new White Dwarf?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
Maybe fewer games are being played? Also, do interesting battle reports ever feature in the new White Dwarf?
Alright, good point about fewer games being played, but who the hell ever said we had to slavishly imitate GW's now stale(at least I.M.O) publishing style! It's just a pity their lawyers are so twitchy or we could organise something to replace the atrocity that is the new White Dwarf!! :-(

As far as reports go, I'd really appreciate if somebody on here could create some sort of tutorial for Battle Chronicler. I like the reports I see using it, but I've  no idea how to go about starting myself, and don't have the time to waste with learning by trial-and-error....

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Alright, good point about fewer games being played, but who the hell ever said we had to slavishly imitate GW's now stale(at least I.M.O) publishing style!
Not at all, but if GW were to actively create decent quality content such as battle reports, it might make regular people more interested in the same thing. Fat chance, of course, since as you said, White Dwarf is a glossy ad magazine anyway.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »
Alright, good point about fewer games being played, but who the hell ever said we had to slavishly imitate GW's now stale(at least I.M.O) publishing style!
Not at all, but if GW were to actively create decent quality content such as battle reports, it might make regular people more interested in the same thing. Fat chance, of course, since as you said, White Dwarf is a glossy ad magazine anyway.
Methinks Grombrindal, were he real, would sooner kiss a Goblin than allow that new atrocity against wargaming magazines to continue to carry his name.....?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »
I like the report!  Thanks for putting it up, taking the time, and being creative.  The hobby is so much more fun when shared like this.

I also liked the picture of the changing table top report, although dont' stop with the pictures of the real thing either, very enjoyable.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gunman006

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »

Of course the sad truth might be that interest for WH is down or low, hate against GW is not exactly in short supply  :icon_razz:

But for awesome battlereports that exceeds even the Battles in LOTR you can check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrhjvj7xATU

Just put on some good Music, unless you know French and enjoy the awesomeness  :biggriin:

I like the report!  Thanks for putting it up, taking the time, and being creative.  The hobby is so much more fun when shared like this.

I also liked the picture of the changing table top report, although dont' stop with the pictures of the real thing either, very enjoyable.

Thanks! I write for my own entertainment as I have periods with a lots of free time, very fun to see that you enjoyed the report :icon_biggrin: Yeah I agree, I read almost every report I come accross  :icon_smile:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:36:15 PM by Gunman006 »

Offline Casual

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 07:16:22 PM »
I love that you made an awesome campaign out of smaller games and smaller 'unoptimised units'. My mates only play if it is 1500pts+ and their lists are pretty much unpainted and ripped off the internet leading to predictable soulless games.

Awesome job dude! ...I was kind of rooting for gooby though haha :-P

Offline Gunman006

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
I love that you made an awesome campaign out of smaller games and smaller 'unoptimised units'. My mates only play if it is 1500pts+ and their lists are pretty much unpainted and ripped off the internet leading to predictable soulless games.

Awesome job dude! ...I was kind of rooting for gooby though haha :-P

Thanks man! lol If you were rooting for Gooby might enjoy Reading the New campaign  :ph34r:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=49992.msg935873#msg935873