home

Author Topic: EoT ... Old World Timeline Question(s) ...  (Read 3038 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
EoT ... Old World Timeline Question(s) ...
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
If some one who is relatively up on the timeline provided by GW regarding 2522 to the End of Times can provide a relatively brief synopis, including the years such stuff occured, that is appreciated.

I realize there might be websites out there showing such things, yet seperating the good from the sarcastic can get a bit uneasy from time to time, especially when there seems to be so much emotion flowing currently over the disappointment regarding GW's actions.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:32:27 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
Re: Olde Worlde Timeline Question(s) ...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:31:46 AM »
Well there is lexicannum.

the two best army books for the timeline fluff are:
#1 high elves.
#2 Empire.

Pretty much just read the high elf stuff and it sums up everything. All the other books are more army specific.

Here is my take on it:

Old ones make world and species
warp gates at polar ends collapse and allow chaos to swarm the world
During this time everything gets tainted by chaos - monsters. Anerian of the high elves story is here and detailed.
A dwarf goes north and shuts down the chaos gate while the high elves siphon magic in their vortex.

High elves explore and colonize the world, dwarfs expand in the mountains.
High elf civil war. Dark elves go to nargaroth
War of the Beard - dwarfs vs high elves
End of the war - Lizardmen shift the mountains and lots of dwarves get killed. Skaven and goblins swarm out.
Athel Lorin founded
Sigmar founds the empire.

1000years later

Bretonnian kingdom founded.
Lots of action in the various army books from years 1000 to 2522
- crusades
- chaos incursions
- ogres move west and become overpowered.
- Vampire counts of silvania rise during this time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:40:09 AM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:04:05 AM »
I think that's the section he doesn't want. He's looking for during the end times.

I read it all. And then purged it from my mind.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 03:46:03 AM »
Yes ... 2522 to End of Times, not before 2522.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
Honestly it would be better is someone summed up the summing up, but if you don't mind a bit of reading This would do the job.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:07:50 PM by knightofthelance »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
The link didn't work for me.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
This should do the job.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »
Or an alternate, more casual, account.

Ja, it sounded more like he wanted a time line than a summing up. The wall of text that I (incorrectly at first) linked to was the only one I found in my quick search that tried to put any of it in order.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »
This should do the job.
Excellent.  Good to read down through all of that.  Put me in a spot where I could understand the End Of Times better than before.  It seems as if what GW did was advance the story from 2522 to 2524 through that fluff shown there.

It seems like such a good opportunity to carry the Olde World forward with the tradition of grimness seen along the way.  And for them to blow it up from there was wasting that opportunity.  Yet I digress.

Did the other End of Times books beyond this initial fluff carry the story further :icon_question:

Also, it was good to see that "The Solland Effort of 2524", done here on W-E before the extent of which such GW born events were detailed out as they have been, could fit into that story line. There seemed to be no reason why the Solland Effort story campaign couldn't exist along side GW's take on the events of those years in the Olde World.  And it seems there is plenty of room for other such story campaigns, too. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Cal1989

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/Cal1989
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
I've been reading through this gives a pretty solid stage by stage break down of the events of the End Times

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5wwL740tSnaS3QtbW1fQ0FCMHc/view
'The extent of a Man's wisdom and goodness will bring him fame, and even death will not extinguish his memory nor his glory, beauty or youth or whatever else'. - Giles of Paris

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
I've been reading through this gives a pretty solid stage by stage break down of the events of the End Times

That's a pretty hefty resource right there. Cheers
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
What end times?

:engel:

EDIT: Holy hell, I should not have read that, and just stuck with the few details I could stomach before.

Malekith was the true and right king of the elves, and a hero!?!?!?  Screw this, I'm done.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:39:59 PM by Toro_Blanco »
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

That's a pretty hefty resource right there. Cheers
For some reason it didn't seem to want to load some of the pages.

There's actually a good bit of the End of Times fluff that seems ok.  It puts the world in a grim spot, and there is even room to intro the Stormcast dudes as a new faction.  Not that I like the figures, but I could accept the idea if it was worked into the fluff of the End of Times.  There are similarities here to the Storm of Chaos ideas.  And at one point it seems the 2523 to 2525 time period was being called, "The Dark Years" which I suspect was before whomever at GW came up with the current status of the Olde World, and that such evolved over the last couple of handfuls of years as GW reworked what they were going to do or not.

I liked the synopsis that was provided earlier on this thread, and if I can get the other one to load all its pages at some point, then I'm looking forward to giving it a read.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:06 PM »
Malekith was the true and right king of the elves, and a hero!?!?!? 

I've been saying this for years, minus the hero part. But nobody would listen.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
Malekith might have been the rightful king (I rather liked that twist of previous kings warding off the flames) but he certainly was no hero, he was a rather prominent jacka** to the end.

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:45:05 AM »
He WASN'T the rightful king, it was written into the friggin' lore that he was burned as punishment by the gods for his usurpation!

Their ridiculous retcon that turned the blood-drinking rape-murderer into the True Hero King of Elves was asinine and made no sense.

This is why I'm entirely done with GW; I've seen better writing in a Twilight Fan-Fiction forum.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:48:29 AM »
He WASN'T the rightful king, it was written into the friggin' lore that he was burned as punishment by the gods for his usurpation!

Their ridiculous retcon that turned the blood-drinking rape-murderer into the True Hero King of Elves was asinine and made no sense.

This is why I'm entirely done with GW; I've seen better writing in a Twilight Fan-Fiction forum.

Agreed. And it was a bad turn for both the high elves and Mali. He got turned into quite the sissy if you think about it. And the whole bit were somehow the high elves are largely ok with it is was absolute trash.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 02:28:31 AM »
And the whole bit were somehow the high elves are largely ok with it is was absolute trash.

Can't argue there, the high elves were far too forgiving in that instance.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Deuce

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »

The first point has been slightly obfuscated over time. Although that's always been the line in the HE books, the DE books have tended to take the view that he was betrayed and the flames were treacherously cursed or something. He also didn't wear the magical wards that Phoenix Kings do before stepping in, which is why none of the others were burned - well, except Aenarion, who was burned and revived, and Morvael, who used it to commit suicide. So it's not impossible, albeit unlikely, that if Malekith had stayed in the Flame he might have done the same as Aenarion.

Plus of course there's the point, long-debated in the fandom, that while Malekith did kill Bel Shanaar and that was bad, he wouldn't necessarily have been the wrong choice to succeed Aenarion. Or indeed to succeed Bel Shanaar, had he not murdered him. What seemed to drive Malekith off the rails was not only that he didn't get to succeed his father but that Bel Shanaar was trying to cut him out of the succession again, despite Malekith being to all appearances the best candidate.

Being entirely honest about it, the broad shape of the elven plot is something I had felt would be the appropriate ending for them since well before End Times was even really a thing. Tyrion drawing the Sword of Khaine, Teclis ultimately making an alliance with Malekith and installing him as Phoenix King, the whole enterprise sealing the final doom of the Elves. That is not to defend anything specific that happened during the End Times, which for all I know might have been complete garbage (I've only read Nagash, and wasn't impressed), but I don't think the underlying idea is entirely terrible.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »
I'm with Deuce above. Some of the specific writing I really wasn't fond of but the overall story I didn't think I was bad. I remember when I first got into warhamer back in the 90's, reading a fair bit of evidence that Malkeith was the rightful king. Pretty sure the dark elf book mentioned it a few times. Those books were all written a lot more from the point of view of the races and featured a lot more propaganda. Like the dwarf book talking about the battle of pine crags being the slaughter of innocent traders and the wood elf book talking about it as throwing back a dwarf army hacking down all the trees.

Even tyrion going nuts wasn't a terrible plot choice, and personally I liked that Teclis was behind a lot of the events.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »
Spare a thought for the poor old Bretonnians, just found out your Goddess is a elf that's been manipulating you people right from the beginning of your race. Even worse my favourate grumpy dwarf is now a God.

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 04:56:27 AM »
Spare a thought for the poor old Bretonnians, just found out your Goddess is a elf that's been manipulating you people right from the beginning of your race.

That's okay, the End Times is actually contradictory about that.