home

Author Topic: Space Marine the Fight 'n Kick game...  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Space Marine the Fight 'n Kick game...
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:55:04 AM »
http://www.vgblogger.com/?p=3731

Click on the flash video.
My hood is my castle...

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
Re: Space Marine the Fight 'n Kick game...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »
THQ raped them so they took the vid down. Dammit.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjbbzOrCIg

It's back up (probably for a limited time only).

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »
Uninspiring. 

It's yet another third person action shooter with ultra violence and cinematic action cam shots.  I just came off working on the bourne conspiracy and can't tell you how annoying/boring these repetetive scenes are in gameplay.  They break up the flow and have little wow factor after watching the same takedown animation for the bajillionth time. 

There are so many ideas for making a good third person Space Marine game it's sickening,  the very fact that they have resorted to cinematic sequences to wow a bunch of assholes in a publishing house, shows that this studio isn't going to produce much of anything in this space marine game.  Expect it in the bargain bin a few months after launch. 

The artwork looks pretty good as I try to figure out what I'm seeing in youtube format.  But it's yet another game using a dull brown pallette and desaturated colors.  I would have loved to see this game with a bit of rich color and a dash of style.  Instead we get another copy of gears of war down to the chainsaw. 

My take on what would make this game good?  It's 2008,  no more lone heroes crawling the catacombs,  Space marines would work in squads, where the player must assist his fellow marines and eventually lead them to victory for the Emperor.  I'd do away with the stupid cine scenes and load up on a wider variety of fluid ingame animation to make what the player is witnessing more believable. 

Levels would be designed with purpose, objectives, and multiple routes to accomplishing a major goal.  The player though a high an mighty marine would find himself very cautious to take on his equal counterpart marines and rely on support from his squad and a lot of tactical skill.

These things can be done. The problem is that 99% of video game designers are horrible designers.  That and they're lazy!  Its easy to make the same old shit and add lazy features like cinematic finishing moves.  It's much harder to write smart ai and work on a single player experience that has the player working with a team of marines. 

Pray I get my company started guys,  I promise if it happens, you will see better games than this out in the market for you to play with.

-Grutch

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:36:55 AM »
Grutch, I am fairly certain that this game is a fighting game geared towards a younger crowd.

I would have prefered a FPS myself but since my gaming urge is weak at best (bar some games), I really don't have a strong opinion.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:46:36 AM »
Though I generally kind of hate video games, when I had a PS2, I really liked some of the WW2 shooters that gave you control over a squad and maybe a tank or two. Why they couldn't just incorporate the squad element of Space Marines into this game I don't know. My God, I think I just agreed with Grutch on something... :Ohmy:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »
Why doesn't someone just make an updated version of Space Hulk video Game.  Using the same game values.  forget Space Marines, go out there in Terminator Armour!

I still find myself chanting every now and then

"One Squad Shall be Sufficient"
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:32:01 PM »
I agree with pretty much everything Grutch said... I didn't watch the movie cuz I really have no interest in 40K or FPS games... only 1 FPS shooter ever compelled me to finish it:  Brothers in Arms.  I still get goosebumps thinking about playing it on my now dead Xbox.  You controlled 2 squads, and without using them to provide cover and assault you could expect to die rather quickly.  It threw strategy into a genre of game that I get rapidly bored with because you end up with mindless running and shooting.

A 40k version of that would attract my attention very quickly though I think.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »
Graphics look good and that's it. Movement is blocky and unnatural and combat looks like drab cookie cutter stuff with ridiculously poorly pulled off finishing moves. It looks like they made no effort to make it look natural or smooth or even affected by nearby enemies, and the moves themselves are blatant attempts to copy the slow motion hack & slash from 300 and impress the "mainstream". Look at God of War and Gears of War; finishing moves there are short, messy and innovative affairs. Having to do this tedious and lame thing on 10000 identical(why do they look identical?) squealing heretics doesn't make a good game.
Also, what is up with the 5000 rps boltgun? It's a grenade launcher. There's one thing Fire Warrior got right, at least.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »
Geek nagging:
One major complaint seems to be the strength of the boltgun - which is indeed ridiculously low.

And yes, the fire rate is a bit odd. It is an automatic weapon, but in this vid, the output seems to be that of a machinegun. I don't know exactly the number of shells in a boltgun magazine, but it is below 100 (because the gun has a two-digit ammo display blatantly ripped of from the "Aliens" M41A).

A bit more fluff research would be a benefit, I'd say.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
I'm not sure about the exact number, but I know a standard boltgun clip has a number of rounds somewhere in the teens. Anything more would be illogical to say the least.
I'm just wishing they'd for go for a more original concept in making a 40k action game, like an Vindicare assassin or something. Don't get me wrong, nothing says "40k game " like space marines, but every other sci fi shooter has a big, rugged space soldier protagonist, making this just look like another brick in the wall of concepts, which is kind of sad because the GW marine was one of the first true "space marines".
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.