home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)  (Read 734788 times)

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)
« Reply #2725 on: September 04, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
Think of how a noble would behave in this situation.

He would be dismissive, almost angry.   Mortus would be the same I think.   We should not be dealing with this official with respect.

I think we should stop at the inn.   Legal issues could be caused if we don't.   Fleeing would look like guilt
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:41:29 PM by commandant »

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2726 on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Depends on the noble I guess.......with a carrot and a stick is always a good way to deal with people. No need to be angry towards everyone you can....it might come back to haunt you on another day.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2727 on: September 04, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
not angry as in angry angry but angry as in dismissive angry.   Annoyed that he needs to talk to somebody so beneath him

• Members
« Reply #2728 on: September 04, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »
Again...depends on the noble, Klaus is more a fellowship than a leadership guy.

I don´t think every noble behaves the exact same way, and certainly not every noble is an arrogant fool.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2729 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
Think of how a noble would behave in this situation.

He would be dismissive, almost angry.   Mortus would be the same I think.   We should not be dealing with this official with respect.

I think we should stop at the inn.   Legal issues could be caused if we don't.   Fleeing would look like guilt

Look like guilt, but not be guilt because we are out of his jurisdiction. Further added to the fact he has screwed us before without any evidence.

You talk about a noble being angry and not respecting him- well what could be more disrespectful than just sailing past him.

I actually don’t mind stopping though. I don’t know what we should do!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2730 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
Sailing right by doesn't look disrespectful.   It looks fearful and like we are guilty of doing something wrong.

• Members
« Reply #2731 on: September 04, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
We are gone....and before us lies dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn the Wittgenstein Castle.....damn that place is vast. Lets wait for Dawn and then start a search Indiana Jones style.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2732 on: September 04, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »
Sailing right by doesn't look disrespectful.   It looks fearful and like we are guilty of doing something wrong.

which doesnt matter because hes CORRUPT

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2733 on: September 04, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

which doesnt matter because hes CORRUPT

We don't know he is any more corrupt than a normal official.   Certainly the fear that he is corrupt should not be counted by sailing away like cowards.

• Members
« Reply #2734 on: September 04, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
He stole billys boat and demande a bribe on top of that he was acting dodgy had no right to stop us and wanted to lure us to the inn no need to waste time on him

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2735 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
The truth of that story is contained in only Billy's word.   This is not to say it is false but only that there could be more to it than we think.

Bribing officials is a basic trade need in the Empire (mainly because of how poorly they are paid) so I don't think any experienced trader would consider an official demanding a bribe as "acting dodgy".   In fact it would be much more worrying for most merchants is no bribe was demanded.

It could have been an interesting and important event.   We should have stopped rather than fleeing like cowards.

• Members
« Reply #2736 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
Well we haven t so hooray to klaus and his aura of authority :-)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2737 on: September 04, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
interesting and important event = some dude trying to steal our boat?
I trust billy more than this dude. And even if billy is a smuggler Julian doesn’t care.
Furthermore, we didn’t flee like “cowards”. avoiding corrupt officials is pretty sensible when we’re trying to save the fricking world. Klaus and Max can remind you of that fact.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #2738 on: September 04, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
I really like the bit stating ALL warhammer officials are corrupt as they have to make a living i wonder what source that one came from 

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2739 on: September 04, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
I really like the bit stating ALL warhammer officials are corrupt as they have to make a living i wonder what source that one came from

It comes from the fact that the warhammer world is based on the late middle ages where most (if not all) officials were mildly corrupt.    There is no reason to suggest that this realistic fact is not true for the warhammer world.

interesting and important event = some dude trying to steal our boat?
I trust billy more than this dude. And even if billy is a smuggler Julian doesn’t care.
Furthermore, we didn’t flee like “cowards”. avoiding corrupt officials is pretty sensible when we’re trying to save the fricking world. Klaus and Max can remind you of that fact.

You don't know what he wanted.   It might have just been a retinue shakedown or it might have been something much more.   
We fled like cowards, we fled because we were afraid of what would happen if we stopped.   Fear + fleeing = coward.

If Billy is a smuggler then it is an important fact
A: Because we have a lot of money on this boat that he could be planning to steal
B: Because it casts his story into doubt.

Are we trying to save the world, really is that Julian's motivation.   In that case please ignore Mortus, after all she has much more worldly aims (like money) in mind and being in trouble with the governance of a major trading port is harmful to her future 

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2740 on: September 04, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
kemperbad is not a major trading port.

Acting smart is differently to acting like a coward. Your definition basically makes everyone cowards, all the time.

Best case scenario: he lets us go. We can still go to kemperbad.

Bad case scenarios: they take billy, leaving us unable to pilot the ship. They take our cargo. They take our money. They take our boat. They arrest us. They flog us.

Worst case scenario: we all die.

Now:
Best case scenario: he was out of his jurisdiction so we are in no trouble at all. When we go back to kemperbad, if we do, we prove him to be corrupt, get him arrested, and everything is fine.

Bad case scenario: we cant go to kemperbad

Worst case scenario: We get pursued and arrested by the river patrol. But we haven’t done anything wrong.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #2741 on: September 04, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
As I said...just when I thought we started to get along.

:mellow:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2742 on: September 04, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
Wait, sorry: I thought the party had decided to go on to the castle. Did you actually want to stop at the inn to talk more with customs man?

It's not a problem to time-reversal it in this situation (because I haven't made a complicated post that would need rewriting). So, up to you!

Law info: Kemperbad's special status as a friestadt means that they have no right to enforce their laws beyond their own borders. The exciseman was definitely out of order in demanding a search, and refusing to comply with him does not make you look guilty. Just as refusing to let the police into your house without a proper search warrant does not make you look guilty in real life.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #2743 on: September 04, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Nope Julian and Klaus were for leaving the scene and therefore it is perfect that we have fled the scene and are now anchoring in front of the Wittgenstein Castle.....can I shoot those Beastmen? I want a proper beastmen pelt for winter.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2744 on: September 04, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
Hmmm, if it was a 2 to 1 vote I guess that's fine. Just checking I hadn't been too hasty.

The beastmen aren't actually there! Well, there are of course beastmen, just not visible ones. That's the cover picture from the adventure.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2745 on: September 04, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
kemperbad is not a major trading port.

Acting smart is differently to acting like a coward. Your definition basically makes everyone cowards, all the time.

You need to reread my definition

Best case scenario: he lets us go. We can still go to kemperbad.

Which would mean that there would not be any legal problems with Kemperbad again.   Not a bad thing for people interested in trading.

Bad case scenarios: they take billy, leaving us unable to pilot the ship. They take our cargo. They take our money. They take our boat. They arrest us. They flog us.
Most of them are bad, the main one being that they take the boat + money + cargo.   However they are unlikely.   It is much more likely that we will loose our boat when we return to Kemperbad now because we refused to stop.

Worst case scenario: we all die.

It seems unlikely.

Now:
Best case scenario: he was out of his jurisdiction so we are in no trouble at all. When we go back to kemperbad, if we do, we prove him to be corrupt, get him arrested, and everything is fine.

So he was out of his jurisdiction but I think that our chance of proving him corrupt is now completely gone because
A: Everybody is going to ignore mild low level corruption because it is so common
B: He has much more social standing in Kemperbad than any of us do
C: He can accuse us of smuggling and his proof is that when we were confronted by the law we fled to hide or sell the illegal/smuggled goods that we had on the boat rather than obey the law.   If we go back to Kemperbad it is likely that he will have accused us of smuggling, which is something that we would be powerless to stop.   Therefore it is likely that we face a massive fine or the loss of the boat when we return to Kemperbad.

Bad case scenario: we cant go to kemperbad

Not being able to go to Kemperbad is not just a bad outcome, it is game over for anybody that wants to be a trade.   There are only 3 major cities on the Riek which I can see on the map and Kemperbad is one of them.   Therefore if we can not go there that is 1/3 of the major trading ports we can't visit.   More importantly if we want to trade on the Riek we need to go through Kemperbad, something that is impossible if we can't go there.   Not being able to trade with and travel through Kamperbad kills any ambition that anybody has on this boat of trading on the Riek.
Also it could do, I believe, serious damage to Klaus' claim to have his lands restored.   The powers to be are going to look much less kindly on restoring estates to somebody that is a proven smuggler as Klaus no doubt is at the moment.

Worst case scenario: We get pursued and arrested by the river patrol. But we haven’t done anything wrong.

So far we are guilty of resisting arrest and smuggling.   The fact that we are not smuggling could well be ignored as we have
a known smuggler on board (after all Billy must have been found guilty of something to loose his boat) and have proven our guilty by fleeing when confronted by the law.

This seemingly unimportant action could have a massive effect on the future of the characters of this story.

• Members
« Reply #2746 on: September 04, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
We are guilty of nothing....he was outside his jurisdiction....if he would have demanded to rape Mortus as part of the search he also would have been out of jurisdiction.

It really isn´t that hard to understand.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2747 on: September 04, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
He may of being outside his jurisdiction but I think you are placing to much faith in the legal niceties that we enjoy in the 21th century applying in the Warhammer World, compared to the legal niceties enjoyed in the middle ages.

We handled this very poorly.

If he had demanded to rape Mortus we could have accused him of that, a very serious crime in the middle ages.

• Members
« Reply #2748 on: September 04, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
So he is allowed to do as he wants unless he isnt . Max is a lawyer and if rufus warhammer world states that this lawyer said that he had no right to stop us ... end of story really. Even if he might be pissed and might try to put stones in our way in the future.....he is an Exiceman not the Merchant Prince of Kemperbad.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:36:20 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2749 on: September 04, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »
He may of being outside his jurisdiction but I think you are placing to much faith in the legal niceties that we enjoy in the 21th century applying in the Warhammer World

This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to go to the inn and put him in a position of power.. Once we s

He is outside his jurisdiction. We will sort him out later! we have very powerful friends with the church. once we save the world again we'll just get a bishop or something to sort him out!

We're not guilty of resisting arrest because it was out of his jurisdiction. If anything this STRENGTHENS our claims of corruption against him- he was essentially acting like a pirate. And now we know his name.

Let's fuck up some zombies!

Pass the machete.