home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)  (Read 734886 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)
« Reply #7750 on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »
I did go a month without posting much, so that slowed things down too. Still, it was an exceptionally busy game day.

Letter and book contents will be revealed tomorrow!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #7751 on: September 18, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
Will be at the coast with the school for a few days.   Not sure if I will have internet.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7752 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
Quote from: Klaus
I wished we would have found and taken the letters Gotthard wrote to his mother.

Perhaps her cats ate them!  :unsure:

You did search her room at the castle too. I guess they weren't there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:25:51 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7753 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
She hopes that he is eating well and not staying out too late. She also regularly inquires if he has found a suitable young woman to marry, so as to continue the family name.

Wait. Are these from my mother?

So Brandt's mother is an evil chaos worshipping castle owner and mad scientist? What about cockroach-man? He was my favorite.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #7754 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
I think he was the father....or an uncle.

He was the only nice guy in the whole castle, while the rest of them were corrupted from the inside only his appearance was twisted by chaos. I hope he still lives.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7755 on: September 19, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
Wait. Are these from my mother?

They are from everyone's mother!

Re-cap on the Wittgenstein family:

Baron Ludwig (the father): a nice chap who unfortuately turned into a large cockroach. Preferred to live with his fellow insects and avoid his nasty family.

Lady Ingrid (the mother): mad old woman obsessed with her mutant cats and her family history. Liked hunting peasants through the forest.

Margritte (daughter): an attractive young lady who was also a necromancer and a mad scientist. Amused herself by continuing her ancestor Dagmar's warpstone experiments. Created hideous monsters, and one day might have built an army of them.

Kurt (son): a demented, four-armed mutant who enjoyed taxidermy.

Gotthard (son): left his ancestral home for the big city!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7756 on: September 19, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
Sounds like a reality tv series...

Did this family found the purple hand? Just major players in the cult?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7757 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
Actually, there was no obvious connection between the Wittgensteins and the Purple Hand. When the party went to the castle, they found a chaos warrior with a Purple Hand shield in the guest quarters... but Etelka of the Red Crown cult was visiting also. Etelka was there for the warpstone, and presumably the Purple Hand agent was too. Both cults had just found out that the castle was the hiding place of the missing warpstone comet.

The castle notably had a temple dedicated to Slaanesh. But none of the Wittgensteins had any apparent interest in the chaos gods.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7758 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
Info-dump away!
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #7759 on: September 19, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
Oh boy......I do hate shapechangers.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7760 on: September 19, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
You're out of luck then.

Coming later: Max reveals what the book is about!
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #7761 on: September 19, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
So much information.....and reading it I remember I already forgot much of the stuff we learned......web of intrigues......

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7762 on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
Scooby Doo mode activate! So much to process!

• Members
« Reply #7763 on: September 19, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Consider me flabbergasted.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7764 on: September 19, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
It also reminded my I forgot about lizzy beast!

although i think i maybe fed him in the morning of the game turn  :icon_surprised:
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7765 on: September 19, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
Ok. There's a lot going on in these letters. First, let me link for all some important documents:

Letter Julian Found in Tunnel Laboratory
Brandt's Windhund Haulage Invoice

Now, these letters mention several people. Let's tie them all together.

Anika-Elise Nikse - Graf Boris's second wife. Dead for one year, from an unknown illness. Daughter of the Baron of Nordland. Max notes that in his journal, Gotthard writes a lot about a woman called 'Nikki.' Potential that she could have "charmed" Graf Todbringer.

Lady Ingrid - Brand'ts Mother. Impressed with his accomplishments. Letters from her detail connection between Brandt and Anika-Elise Nikse. Brandt and mother took her death hard. Mother expects Brandt to "continue her work." Mother also confirms that Brandt is a Wittgenstein by congratulating Brandt on being named Tax Kommission head, Chairman of Merchant's Guild, and recently Chancellor of Middenheim (!!!!!!!) 

Margritte von Wittgenstein - Brandt's sister. Fancies creating creatures. Repeated talk of finding chemicals and specimen to create a large lizard creature for Wolfgang - "It will make a reliable guard for your friend's laboratory.". Lot's of talk of shape changing creatures and alchemical processes. Wolfgang heavily involved in process. Reportedly if creature consumes brain, it gains knowledge and personality of original creature.

Wolfgang - Most likely the wizard/scientist that Julian and Ragni discovered in tunnels below the temple of Grungi. Had creatures he was testing and in the process of changing shape. Also had a large lizard beast (Hubert) that has become friends with Julian. This pretty much confirms that Wolfgang, Brandt, and Wittgensteins are linked. Probably working on shape changer with Brandt.

Dagmar - Could be the very tall, armored woman with greatword frenzy that Heinrich killed in the hideout with Elise and Hultz. Letters seem to indicate that this Dagmar was doing "research" and that Margritte made breakthroughs due to Dagmar. More than likely this could be a Dagmar in Wittgenstein, making the large woman bodyguard of Elise, someone completely different. (And killed by Heinrich).

Key Facts:

1) Julian found and trained lizard beast mentioned in letters. This confirms that the letters to Wolfgang from "G" are indeed Gotthard Brandt.

Quote from: Margritte
I am glad that the modified lizard specimen proved satisfactory. The beast will grow rapidly, and should be very receptive to training. It will make a reliable guard for your friend's laboratory.

2) Wolfgang had many shape changing creatures in jars in his tunnel lab:

Quote from: Tunnel lab description
The large glass jars are also worrying. Floating in one are the remains of a creature that looks to have died while in the process of changing shape. He remembers seeing something similar - but living - in Castle Wittgenstein. The other jars contain only liquid.

Quote from: Margritte's Letter
The three specimens I have dispatched with this letter are all capable of assuming the shape of another living creature. However, I am uncertain of their mental abilities. I have no time for proper field tests. I therefore recommend that Wolfgang test the specimens and determine if any are suitable for his requirements. I should then be able to focus my efforts on perfecting the most promising strain.

3) Brandt had large crate shipped via Windhund Haulage 2-3 months ago, probably in relation to specimens mentioned by Margritte in correspondence.

Quote from:  Brandt's Invoice
There are too many papers to check them all (there's no sign of any too or from Wolfgang), but just as Admund is about to give up he spots an invoice from Windhund Haulage. It refers to a large but unidentified package that Brandt had brought into the city two or three months back (no precise date is given). A letter attached to the invoice, from Gluckstein, reminds Brandt of the considerable trouble involved in bringing the package from the south, and asks him to please settle his account. He owes them 1312 crowns and 17 shillings.

4) Brandt is apart of a conspiracy to replace someone with a shape shifter replica. This is already in progress or complete.

Quote from:  Margritte's Letter
The specimen that accompanies this letter should fit all of Wolfgang's requirements. When mature, which it should be soon after arrival in Middenheim, it will be able to exactly mimic the physical appearance of any person of average human size and shape. More impressively, it is able to learn by consuming the brain of the subject, and will then be able to replicate speech, personality and knowledge also. I cannot guarantee that the imposter will be undetectable to those who knew the original well, so care should be taken when selecting the subject. Let me know if the project is successful.

Conclusions:

Brandt is indeed as evil guilty as we suspected and probably has aims at moving up to Chancellor of Middenheim once Sparsm has been outted for drug addiction. These letters are dated before the party's arrival in Middenheim, so it's safe to assume that whomever Brandt and Purple Hand wanted to replace with a skinchanger has already done so. It's also safe to assume that they are going to replace multiple people if they haven't already. The prime targets for a skinchanger would be the Law Lords. Maybe someone close to the Graf himself (isn't that one woman - Emannuel? - having an affair with Graf Todbringer?)

I already distrust the Law Lords, and being the most powerful people in Middenheim, these would be a good target for the Purple Hand. I think it's safe to assume that one of the Law Lords has been replaced by a Skinchanger. Ehlrich has been "absent" for some time and I fear that they are in process of "changing" him. Wasmier seems far to moderate to me (almost painfully so), and Holfich seems to be a sadist, which is either his real personality, or he's a an evil skinchanger. I suggest we do some immediate and CAREFUL investigation of the Law Lords. Admund can use this evidence to get the military (and maybe even the religious orders) to arrest or confine Brandt.

We need to reconnect Elise to the plot and find out who she is really working for as nothing has tied them in yet. (Brandt? Someone Else?) We also need to investigate closely these Law Lords and the graf's mistress and trust none of them with what we've discovered.

In either case, this is a huge discovery! Well done on the buglarly guys!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:53:36 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

• Members
« Reply #7766 on: September 19, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »
Well lets wait for the Max code book knowledge to go into details. I donīt think Emmanuelle is the skin changer...and if she is well Klaus has told her that we are the good guys.

:unsure:

Important tid bit the Skin Changer can only assmue shapes of an average sized Human so no Dwarfs nor Halflings....we should trust those kind of people!!!

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7767 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
Important tid bit the Skin Changer can only assmue shapes of an average sized Human so no Dwarfs nor Halflings....we should trust those kind of people!!!

Especially the ginger ones!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7768 on: September 19, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
isnt Dagmar a dead, and ancient, wittgenstein?

The shape changer changes the game! we have to be more secretive.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #7769 on: September 19, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
Yes.

Dagmar Wittgenstein was several hundred years ago I donīt think the berserk woman was him or is in any way connected to him other than that she is some hired muscle.

I donīt think we have enough to arrest Gotthardt Brandt, especially if one of the Law Lords is a shape changer and under his influence.

Well as it is it seems we have cracked the purple hand and killed one of the guys pulling the strings.... Wolfgang. Also we now know for sure that Gotthardt Brandt is Gotthardt Wittgenstein and can act accordingly to get rid of him....easiest would be to kill him secretly but then we never might find out who the doppelganger is, or what the plan was/is and how far progressed it is. In any case we got a huuuuuge intel bonus due the burglary....well done Admund I say for leaving the window open and well done Julian for cracking the safe.

Also I donīt think Pavarroti is a bad guy... he is loud....he is a dawg....and he is a foreigner so I think that is the reason people dislike him.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7770 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
Well as it is it seems we have cracked the purple hand and killed one of the guys pulling the strings.... Wolfgang. Also we now know for sure that Gotthardt Brandt is Gotthardt Wittgenstein and can act accordingly to get rid of him....easiest would be to kill him secretly but then we never might find out who the doppelganger is, or what the plan was/is and how far progressed it is. In any case we got a huuuuuge intel bonus due the burglary....well done Admund I say for leaving the window open and well done Julian for cracking the safe.

Good point about not being able to trust the civil court system. The Law Lords control the courts right? This is probably why Brandt has been able to get away with so much (in the opinion of Dieter and the Middenmarshalls). The Marshalls want to keep a far distance from politics and will be hesitant to get involved, but this is some hard evidence that Brandt isn't who he says he is, and is up to no good. Maybe the military can detain or try him separate from the Law Lord's influence?

Julian has an in with Graf Todbringer, but clearly his mind is weak or he's even enchanted, so presenting evidence of foul play may not even work.

Outright killing brandt in his sleep sounds like fun, but we can't find out who is he connected with (Law Lords, but which, and how does Elise tie in?)

• Members
« Reply #7771 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
Elise might be hired Brain ( he he he) or the shapechanger itself.

I am not sure the shapechanger is one of the law lords rather than they are influenced....I think we should find out more about "The Man"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7772 on: September 19, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
the graf could be the shape changer!

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #7773 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
No that would make no sense at all...we would be dead if he would be the shapechanger. Easy enough to claim that Julian tried to attack him and have everyone of us either thrown into a cell or have us cut to pieces by his bodyguard.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7774 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »
Wow, discussion!

I'm so pleased!  :::cheers:::
If I wanted to.