home

Author Topic: Tarnell's plog - Army complete :::cheers:::  (Read 35476 times)

Offline Tarnell

• Members
Tarnell's plog - Army complete :::cheers:::
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
Hey guys,

welcome to my army painting blog, on my return to the hobby I found this site and thought I'd join you all and keep this blog updated to help motivate me to complete my army.

I used to play 40k and Necromunder  back in the day as a kid for about 4 years but stopped roughly when I turned 14.
About 5 years ago I bought a wood elf army (7th Ed). My brother and I enjoyed painting and battling for about a year but then he moved away and it fizzled out.
He started the hobby again about 2 years ago and I couldn't resist starting again recently after flicking through a colleagues white dwarf.
I chose Empire as they have recently been updated and seem to offer a lot of versatility. Plus I always choose the goodies!
I have about 2500-3000 points of models recently bought to paint up as fast as possible as I'm itching to start gaming and learning the 8th Ed rules.

So here's what I've done so far, Check it out and feel free to comment.

p.s. the pics didn't come out as well as I hoped as they were just quickly taken on my iphone with only very poor snow assisted natural lighting but I will try and improve next time.

Tom.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:11:16 PM by Tarnell »

Offline Tarnell

• Members
Re: Tarnell's painting blog
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
I'll start with these 20 of my 40 Halberdiers, Smashed these out in a day and a half. They were pretty boring to be honest but I was really satisfied (and relieved) when I was finished.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:07:45 AM by Tarnell »

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
The 1st of 2 canons. This was the 1st thing I painted in 5 years. Completed in 1 evening.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Very nice!
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
My first Character. I think the model looks good with the staff removed and on a raised based. But I was a bit disappointed with how this came out. I got a bit cocky and added lightning to the crystal ball and a red glow coming from it, on some of the cloak, the hands and the face. I felt it didnt really work so I had to paint back over it and it's left some areas lumpy. Also there's 2 joins on the back of the cloak which I attempted to smooth out using that new liquid green stuff, which unfortunately still showed up after about 4 coats. So I recommend saving your money on that stuff. Anyway, still reasonably pleased with the overall look of the model for gaming. But not the show piece I'd have liked. (completed in 1 evening).

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
These are my prized possessions so far. Apart from the white being a bit gloopy (not prepared to take hours and hours adding layer after layer of extremely watered down white, I'll just live with gloopy white). Was really pleased with how these came out. These were the second thing I painted and I took a whole weekend to complete them.

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
Steam tank and possibly more to follow this weekend as I don't think I'll be getting my rear wheel drive car off the drive in 6 inches of snow :)

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
Where the magic happens, as they say.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
Looking good!

When its said a day and a half for those halberdiers, are we talking like 12 hours?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
Very nice, good strong colours and you seem to be able to keep a very respectable pace. Cant say I find the white very gloopy, possibly a little on the shields but overall not noticeable.
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
Looks great! The balance of colors is very nice.

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
Looking good!

When its said a day and a half for those halberdiers, are we talking like 12 hours?

Thanks,

No, more like 18hrs. It would prob be a lot quicker if i base coated then used a wash like a lot of people seem to do now. But i like to pick out the shading myself, so I start with a dark base coat, Then the main layer, then the highlights. So takes a bit longer.

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
Very nice, good strong colours and you seem to be able to keep a very respectable pace. Cant say I find the white very gloopy, possibly a little on the shields but overall not noticeable.

Ah thanks, Yea, I'm pleased with the colours. Should be nice and bright on the battlefield.
Ah ok cool, maybe i'm being a bit picky :).

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
Looks great! The balance of colors is very nice.

Thanks, took a while deciding on the colours. A more burgundy plumb type red would have been nicer but pretty pleased with the colours.

Offline Ads

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
They look good. Your demigryphs and cannon look the best! Great work!

Offline fdestroca

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 12:58:16 AM »
dam wow :D
yeah this is the thang!!

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:19:34 AM »
Your figures are striking, clean, and very well done. White is not an easy color to pull off, but you have most masterfully.
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline theorox

• Members
Tarnell's painting blog
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
Very cool army, with a very cool colour scheme. :)

Theo

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
Lovely DG Knights mate
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »
I agree, great colour scheme, looks especially good with all the gold on the DGKs.

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Excellent stuff. Great to see another blue and white army - especially one done so well!  :::cheers:::
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll hopefully have a steam tank to show you by the end of the day.

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
I really like the turquoise blue.  Its something different and works great with white and red.
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
Yo.
Pretty much completed my steam tank at the weekend but just made some finishing touches so here it is:
I went for a used look, apart from a fresh lick of paint on the main plating to match the Demigryph Knights.