home

Author Topic: Naming units and characters  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Powderfan

• Members
Naming units and characters
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
Hi guys.

I am clearly not a very imaginative chap and am having trouble coming up with some names for my units and characters.
I would like to name them from the deeds and challenges they overcome so it will be a gradual process as I play games and stuff happens around them.
For now I wish to name my Witch Hunter. He comes from Stirland. He is armed with his sword and pistols and his latest kill was a Chaos Sorcerer Lord. He is normally fielded with his devoted of sigmar chums namely war altar, warrior priests and flagellants.
So from this information would you be able to suggest some fitting names for him or point me in the direction of any random name generators that might help.

Thanks
Michael

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Naming units and characters
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
Heinrich Kramer or Jakob  Sprenger would be obvious choices - too obvious perhaps. In line with GW practice, you could name your WH Heinrich Sprenger or Jakob Kramer.

Some named Warhammer WH are Johann van Hal (supposedly the most famous WH), Wilhelm Hasburg (usually works together with Johann), Kleber Reinhard, Jakob Bauer, Matthias Hoffer, and Ulrich Fischer. 

Regarding generators:
http://www.malleus.dk/Whfrp/NameGenerator.aspx was recommended in the past, but seems now defunct.
Here is an alternative: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/warhammer-empire-names.php#.WLxG-9QrLGg

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:42:28 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
Since your in Essex I would go for a play on the Witch Finder General Matthew [Mathias] Hopkins or John [Johan] Sterne.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
Johan (or Johannes) Stern would be fine. To Germanise Hopkins ("son of Hob") is a bit more difficult. Matthias Hobbesohn?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:26:38 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
Matthias Thulmann from C.L. Werner's "Witch Hunter" series is also quite famous. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »
This Warhammer Fanatasy Roleplay 2nd edition character generator includes names

http://www.windsofchaos.com/wp-content/uploads/encroachment/html/generator-human-male-imperial-01.html

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
Witchus McHuntus?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
Hunter McHuntface.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 04:06:39 AM »
McHuntface. What a last name. Say it quick and tell me it doesnt make you grin just once.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 04:39:57 AM »
(( Why not the most generic name ever?

"John Smith, Witch-Hunter".

Um... anyway, were you looking for something with an in-game vibe, something that just screams "Awesome McCool Name", or somewhere inbetween.

What about... Hawk... Karl Hawk, or something like that? ))

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 04:53:36 AM »
Its a good question. Were the name generators what you were after, or something witty?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
On a general note: the Empire is modeled on the Holy Roman Empire during the reign of Charles V, who has been quoted (apocryphal as it is) as saying: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse."
If we look at the actual use of languages in the HRE of that time, then names would be mostly German, some French, Italian and Dutch. All of which could be Latinised. Slavic names would usually occur in their German or Latin form. The Empire equivalents would be Reikspiel (German), Breton (French), Tilean (Italian), Westerland Reikspiel (Dutch), Kislevian (Slav), and Classical (Latin). English, I am afraid, does not come into the picture at all.

Offline Powderfan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
Thanks guys. Plenty of food for thought.  I have a game planned for tomorrow so hope to have another MVP or unit that needs naming.
Better pull my finger out and commit.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
If we look at the actual use of languages in the HRE of that time, then names would be mostly German, some French, Italian and Dutch. All of which could be Latinised. Slavic names would usually occur in their German or Latin form. The Empire equivalents would be Reikspiel (German), Breton (French), Tilean (Italian), Westerland Reikspiel (Dutch), Kislevian (Slav), and Classical (Latin).

Good point. Latin would be Reman. I'd say Breton would be less prevalent than French was in the HRE, since Bretonnia does not have the same cultural impact as France did.

McHuntface. What a last name. Say it quick and tell me it doesnt make you grin just once.

Oh dear. I did not notice that when I wrote it. :icon_confused:

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 11:05:58 PM »
Horst Klein.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 12:49:51 AM »
Good point. Latin would be Reman.

Not the name of a language but a misnomer drawn in from many too on the nose fan projects for WFB and FRP in the 90's. Classical is the name for the language of ancient Tylos that spread through out the Southern Old World, at least in a codified form with an alphabet and such. Probably reached it peak at the point of Myrimidian unification of the Estalia and Tilea, an undated even noted in the Tome of Salvation WFRP2 but most likely happening some time early in the first millennium before Sigmar and the start of the Imperial calendar. Tilean and Estalian are then just the languages born from Classical from that era.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:58:48 AM »
Is that so? Then I've learned something new now.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:23 AM »
Is that so? Then I've learned something new now.

History of humans previous to the foundation of the Empire, though not much better after, is rather a mess in WFB/RP. I've spent a most likely more then healthy amount of time trying to come up with a sound series of events to understand it but it is mostly timeline points mixed with various amounts of historicity, the frog DNA from Jurassic Park is the metaphor I like for it. I have often pondered finishing up my drafts of it but since the destruction of the Old World, other than the extra odd note or two I add, little more has been done with it. It was to be the opening bit of my Guide to the Empire but as I don't know if there would be all that many interested in such esoteric and now largely pointless information it largely sits.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 01:55:25 AM »
Quote SOF
 It was to be the opening bit of my Guide to the Empire but as I don't know if there would be all that many interested in such esoteric and now largely pointless information it largely sits.

Well....shit!
That sounds like it would have been interesting but time consuming to say the least.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »
Well....shit!
That sounds like it would have been interesting but time consuming to say the least.

You can read some of the alpha draft materiel here . A bit was expanded from there with revisions. edits, and proofs. All told what I do have, I think was pushing 100 pages of random info, though I don't know where the most current draft resides, the file has been around through 3 hard drives of mine.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 03:07:44 AM »
I just look up names with proper meanings for the character.

Example:

Adalard, German boy name meaning brave.(he did kill a chaos sorcerer and not a "witch" afterall  :wink:)

Jäger, German for hunter.

So Adalard Jäger.

That's my method, anyway.

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 10:09:24 PM »
You can read some of the alpha draft materiel here .

That is some impressive work there. A great ressource.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 10:51:06 PM »

Oh dear. I did not notice that when I wrote it. :icon_confused:

Everytime i view this thread on the train, it makes me grin. Infantile i know.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 10:51:25 PM »
You can read some of the alpha draft materiel here .

That is some impressive work there. A great ressource.

Unbelievable isn't it? Great stuff SOF. Lots of effort for sure
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Powderfan

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 11:43:24 PM »
OK so still not settled on a name but promise to confirm by the weekend.  But I played a game this evening and some more epic moments to aid with naming.
My unit of Stirland Great Swords were ground down by a hoard of skeleton spearmen. But the banner bearer and leader hung on in there making an insane number of 4+ saves so they need to be immortalised. As does my leader for my swordsmen who's unit deserted him and left him standing alone facing a zombie dragon and as if that was not bad enough a unit of grave guard. His unit had three turns of battle shock tests and rolled a six each time. But he did manage to snag the last wound off the zombie dragon before being killed (read injured).
Final model of note was my sharp shooter in my hand gunners. Five rounds of shooting with his long rifle and he either missed his target or failed to wound every time. So more of a blunt shooter.

My mission for this weekend is to finalise the names of all these models/units and post photos of them.
Thanks for the inspiration. And please continue with the suggestions.

Michael