home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 540034 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #5250 on: July 02, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »
Utterly devasting Padre. Holy fuck, what a loss...
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5251 on: July 02, 2017, 12:05:05 PM »
That is unbelievable

I decided to stop using it when trying to upload the photos from my walking holiday, and the pop ups made it impossible, but I haven't lost anything.

I pay £1.50 a month to Google for 100gb of data as i back up my phone photos onto it. It got to the stage where u could have deleted ones j didn't want but the time compared to just paying 1.50...

I also have a back up portable hard drive
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5252 on: July 02, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
I decided to stop using it when trying to upload the photos from my walking holiday, and the pop ups made it impossible, but I haven't lost anything.

I've been hit as well, though in my case it's just silly pictures posted on forums and a few like my battlereport about my children's BattleMasters game. So nothing like Padre.

Meanwhile their damn site was nigh impossible to use this past year or something, Firefox couldn't bear it, only Chrome enabled me to post new pictures, barely...

I wouldn't have minded some compulsory advertisements every time I would upload something or when I would want to enter one of my folders. They need money to keep things running, I totally get that.

But this is such an epic dick move they've pulled. No way I'm going to pay what they're asking for that shoddy site of theirs, it's not like the complete removal of advertisements would suddenly make it an exemplary website in terms of things like interface etc.

Anybody know another free site that would allow me to host pics, or a decent cheap one (I hardly post any pics so I'm not looking for serious hosting).
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5253 on: July 02, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
I uploaded mine on imgur, no idea if it's any good really.

It didn't store the correct order for my walking photos which was weird, but maybe I did something wrong

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #5254 on: July 02, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
It's $400 per year - not even a one off.
That's not a price tag, that's ransom.

I pay £1.50 a month to Google for 100gb of data
On Office 365 for 40£/year here, comes with 1 TB Onedrive storage.

I stopped using Photobucked when their UI gave me eye cancer and gray hair.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5255 on: July 02, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »
Finally found my albums. It's not 1100 photos (that's basically the Tilean Campaign), it's 3600 photos in total, on several forums going back 11 years! Oh boy.

I couldn't possibly rescue even a fraction of that work - not when the whole thing could just as easily and suddenly crash again. It is months and months of work. I think my only option is to make my own website and start reconstructing them over the next few years. The only positive note is that I could re-work some of the reports and stories and to improve them.

Now I am trying to get my head around how you make a website. I've got one for my work, which I made through wordpress, although I originally built it with HTML (?), but it's hosted on a friend's server and I don't want to ask him to host a hobby one. I think Wordpress now allow users to do the whole thing - pay for domain name, hosting and then use Wordpress. At least the last part I am used to.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #5256 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
You can use Wordpress, but you don't need to. Depends on how nice/user friendly you want it to look.

With 3500 photos the real issue is server space.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5257 on: July 03, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
They're not big photos. All edited with MSPaint, and all in the KB range. Should be ok?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #5258 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
You could check out squarespace.com, I hear they make it quite easy to build a website. I haven't tried it though!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5259 on: July 03, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
I have now started. I went with Wordpress as I have (sort of) used it before.

If you go to www.bigsmallworlds.com it should work. All I have done is slapped a couple of pictures on the front and edited and placed the first ever photo-story I did "The Fall of Bragovo."

I now know this is gonna take AGES!

Be aware, I still haven't worked out how to do 99% of what I need to do.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #5260 on: July 03, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
They're not big photos. All edited with MSPaint, and all in the KB range. Should be ok?
1 KB per photo x 3500 photos = 3,5 GB of server space. Probably gonna cost you some amount of cash significantly smaller than 400 bucks.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5261 on: July 03, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
is Imgur no good patsatron?

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #5262 on: July 03, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »
Imgur is used on Reddit and the UI is fine. I use it, haven't had any problems.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5263 on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:26 AM »
I was nearly mugged today. By a bunch of kids. They might have been scrawny ten year olds but they were like goblins; strength in numbers. Pardon the cliché but in my day [dab-sarn-it] I never thought of mugging anyone as they would have probably kicked the crap out of me.
On the plus side. I didn't loose anything. Life goes on. No use in dwelling on it

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #5264 on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
Darn, sorry to hear that. At least you and your possessions are alright.

Pity how debased the youth is today. More pity it's due to the growing neglect and clueless behavior of their parents. :-(
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5265 on: July 05, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
This photobucket thing  :icon_question:

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what does this mean:

The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

I have a few photos on our site here, which are 'seen' via the link to photobucket.
If they are my photos is that ok?

If I stored someone else's photo(s) in my PB library and linked to them on here - that would be against their T&C?

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5266 on: July 05, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
Whether they're your photos or not, you can upload them to Ph'Buck but you cannot use [ img ]   ...   [ /img ] links to show them anywhere else.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5267 on: July 05, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
The mugging didn't actually bother me that much. I'm a mature, [mostly] responsible adult so I didn't want to harm kids [even though they had me surrounded]. I feel sorry for them though. The cops I spoke to about it say they do this all the time and there is little that can be done about it. The parents are deadbeats. The sad thing is, someone will strike them one day and they could be hurt or killed.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5268 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
Ah - so my modest 0.5GB usage is actually violating their t&c.

How is one supposed to use them - give a link to my library so 'viewers' go there and see my pics - why the fuck would they subject themselves to that.
It is a terrible site - Windows has to recover the page every second time I click on their "I'm not a robot" link.

I must have needed 5 goes per album I have been downloading back to my PC this week - (see modest capacity above)

More Pop Ups than any other site I have ever visited.

OK - I understand the model - free space but we have to make money so you have to put up with ads - lots of them.

I would have thought by now, that social media is responding  :icon_question:
Is there not a huge slagging off surge going on Facebook Twitter etc???
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5269 on: July 05, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »
https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/07/05/photobuckets-ransom-demand-is-a-masterclass-in-how-not-to-treat-your-users/#.tnw_UmzgkSL7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

I don't really see the problem with everyone just moving to google photos or imgur or something. Only when you have a metric ton of photos like padre.
Surely will kill their website. Good riddance.

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #5270 on: July 05, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
Darn, sorry to hear that. At least you and your possessions are alright.

Pity how debased the youth is today. More pity it's due to the growing neglect and clueless behavior of their parents. :-(

I agree. Sometimes I think that people should pass a series of tests, before being allowed to have kids. :dry:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5271 on: July 05, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Not that I had many pics, but I just deleted the whole app off the phone and said the hell with it.

Set up imagur but not sure if I like that either. I can't seem to get the picture to show up in the thread and I don't think peeps don't really care to follow a link.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:48:19 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5272 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
I posted a bunch of pics from imgur onto the happy thoughts thread.

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5273 on: July 05, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
How? When I use the copy button, it just links the site and then you hand to sort thru the albums. Mind you I'm shit at this sort of thing. I usually torn between firing this phone at the wall and understanding the need not too lol.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5274 on: July 18, 2017, 09:51:53 PM »
Dr who is now a woman
James Bond is going to be a woman
For me, both franchises have been ruined forever