home

Author Topic: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland  (Read 50777 times)

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
Re: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »
I wonder whether the Baroness came to power by virtue of the uncertainty principle?

Something like this:

"Oh brave nobles and merchants, who will ye name our next ruler?"
"Dunno."
"Dunno."
"Dunno."
"How 'bout that girl there?"
"Okay."

Good choice, anyway. She'll be very hard to assassinate. Any assassin will either know where she currently is, or where she's going, but never both.

In essence, the von Heisenberg family were very lucky to come to power. The summary is that after Grom's invasion, the von Heisenbergs, distant relatives of Frederick Tol, the chief councillor, came down from Heisenberg. When Tol died heirless, they were in the vicinity and related, so it didn't take long for the people to choose them, better that having Kreutzhofen poking their noses in again.

And yes, hopefully she would be hard to, but the essence of the plot it to have her out of town. You never want to assassinate a relative of the province's Countess, even if they don't get on...

Thanks for the motivation guys, makes it really easy to get some done. (as well as avoiding doing too much revision.... :icon_rolleyes:)

The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
Ahhh that makes the workrate clear now lol
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
Sorry, Le Pistolet, I was making a silly connection to the "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" from quantum physics.

Well done that you didn't fall for it. :-)

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
It was very clever though, I appreciated it :D :::cheers:::

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Ahhh that makes the workrate clear now lol

Yeah, revision makes me super productive at Warhammer, seriously think I don't do any unless its May-July. Don't worry though, this isn't interfering but providing a welcome distraction to unwind.

Sorry, Le Pistolet, I was making a silly connection to the "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" from quantum physics.

I'll just nod a pretend I know what you're talking about.  :icon_lol:

As for the all important matter of Sonnefurt however, I have now almost sorted out the Council of Fifteen who run the Barony and that should be up later, but I am incredibly stuck for what to do next, I think I'm getting everything covered now.

What would you lot suggest? If you were planning on taking over a town what would you want to know about it?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »
Hehe, good question. :icon_biggrin:

I'd like to know who the "community leaders" (I hate that term) are - the people other people listen to. For example, that old grumbling notary. See what can be done to convince them before any violence starts. It's much easier if you have the people on your side.

Second, I'd want to know where the food comes from. Controlling the palace/Rathaus/whatever is all fun and games, but of little use when there's nothing to eat.

Third, I'd like to know whether the current rulers have any rumours about themselves. If there aren't any, let's start some. Discredit them in the eyes of the local population. It should be something beleivable, preferably heinous.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »
Well, I think I have your first point sorted, just finished the notes on the Council, people should listen to them.

I can definitely do some more detail on the rumours of the town, as you have read there's been a couple concerning the Baroness and the River Patrol Captain and then in this next piece, the Captain and a noble heiress. I imagine Leopold has been keeping his ears to the ground in Sonnefurt so would know the gossip and scandal, especially from the fishwives of the dockyards....

As for food, I think I will build upon that, perhaps in something on the regions economy? I realised I haven't covered what it is that makes the town quite a big trade port, but theirs also agriculture and other such things. Food is definitely important, Sonnefurt is the home of Donald Mach's famous 'Hanburga' after all.  :engel:

Anywho, here's the Council for you.

My liege,

I thought I should do some research for you into the fifteen members of the Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt. Although the Baroness, and hopefully your esteemed self someday, rules the Barony, the support of the Council is needed for major decisions concerning its activities. I have made sure to character profile each member so you can decide who to influence the most.

Your compliant servant

Leopold

The Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt
The Council itself has a long history, established first in the wake of the invasion of Gorbad Ironclaw and standing as a representation of the long resistance towards the Pfeifraucher family of Kreutzhofen. Originally the Council was a Council of Nine, then Strazen, Martinskorf and Bezeinhof were recognised. Later the religious leader was permitted entry. In recent years the Council, strapped for money, has allowed members who have lived in the town for over twenty five years and have the right amount of money to buy their way into the council. So far only two people have achieved their positions this way.

The Council’s duties are now fairly administrative, but they have the power to vote on certain decisions proposed to them by the ruling Baron or Baroness. In the meantime, they run the Judicial Court of Sonnefurt and run administrative tasks, compiling censuses, tax records, procuring trade deals and monitoring dealings within the town and the Barony. They can also decide on whether the Barony sends troops outside of its jurisdiction to aid anyone else in Wissenland or the Empire.

My liege, in a previous letter, I have already mentioned several of the Councillors in my records of Officials, for they are the mayors of the large towns. The other Councillors are detailed below.

Mayors and Town Leaders

Mayor Günter Fink
Mayor of Thalfang- detailed in a previous letter

Mayor Walter Heim
Mayor of Thalfang-detailed in a previous letter

Mayoress Elinor Helemburtus
Elinor is the Mayoress of Strazen, widow of the former Mayor Tomas Helemburtus. After the wake of his death, she has assumed his role with great popularity within the small community. She is said to be fairly attractive, but aging severely with the stress of her new found position. On the Council she does not have a great deal of influence or sway but is renowned for her logical and level headed views. Mrs Helemburtus has close relations with Walter Heim of Ertingen and the two settlements often lobby in favour of the North Soll Coalition, the name of the alliance between them.

Mayor Willi Vogt
Willi Vogt is the Mayor of Ostrach. His family is well established in the area and can trace their roots back far before the devastation of Gorbad Ironclaw. For this reason, Willi Vogt is regarded as fairly arrogant, claiming superiority in decisions over even the Baroness as his family have been in Ostrach longer than her family has been in South Wissenland. Mr Vogt was known to have disagreed strongly with the decision to stay neutral in the Solland Effort, proclaiming that as proud Wissenlanders they should fight any Solland insurrection wherever it may appear. On the Council, his forceful approach renders some negotiation difficult as it often turns to a shouting match, especially with Mr Fink of Thalfang

Elder Maggie Gaffwiger
Maggie Gaffwiger is the village elder of Bezeinhof. She is an old, frail woman, but has a great knowledge of the history of the region and despite her peasant background, has learned to read and record the Barony’s history. She rarely makes appearances at the Council unless absolutely necessary due to her age but when she attends she is a useful asset, using mistakes of past decisions to influence the present decisions.

Chief Sepp Sydow
Sepp Sydow is the village leader of Martinskorf. He is respected in his town as an excellent hunter and woodsman. On the Council he is regarded by others, particularly Fink and Guttmann as a simpleton for he will often resort to bellowing to get his point across. However, no one is likely to disagree with him

Other Important Figures

Marshal Richter Eichhorn
Supreme Commander of Sonnefurt’s Military- detailed in a previous letter

Father Josef Schmidt
Priest of Sonnefurt- detailed in a previous letter

Jusk Stromsson
Dwarf Elder of Sonnefurt- detailed in a previous letter

Aldred Guttmann
Aldred is a prominent merchant in Sonnefurt, running the human side of the Hirn-Sonnefurt Banking Corporation. As such his relations with the Dwarfs of Karak Hirn are excellent. He is a stuffy and boring man, wearing small pince-nez spectacles. His knowledge of mathematics and excellent record of study at the University of Nuln make him a useful asset to the Council. He is not well liked however for his pedantic, laboured approach to negotiations, but apparently, this is why the Dwarf negotiators admire him.

Miengot Elzacher
Miengot is the youngest man to have been known to run the Chamber of Customs and Commerce. Like Aldred Guttmann he has a excellent record from the University of Nuln and a great command of mathematics. Unlike Guttmann however, Miengot is an amiable man and is apparently fairly funny. He is commonly found at the Von Heisenberg theatre and holds a large stake in its business, paying an annual donation to the upkeep and hiring of actors. On the Council he is well liked, and will often be the only one able to handle Guttmann’s approach to mathematical ideas.

Lady Frederica Zell
Lady Frederica Zell is the heiress of Lord Hermann Zell, an important merchant within Sonnefurt. Due to him being bed stricken with a disease that will prove fatal, she represents the interests of the Zell family on the Council. The Zell family are a well established name in Sonnefurt and have been for many years. Their interests mainly lie with the keeping of the trade routes with the Border Princes open, as the Zell family have links there and strong trade ties. Lady Frederica is among the most eligible women in Sonnefurt, and it is said Captain Strotmann of the Soll River Patrol has been courting this beauty. On the Council her youth makes her inexperienced in debates and her relative stupidity renders her almost entirely useless and easily manipulated.

Marius Blech
Marius Blech is the richest person in the Barony of Sonnefurt bar the Baroness herself. Not much is known about his past, except that he rose from the depths of the Dockyards to come to prominence just before the Baroness came to power. He is said to have criminal connections and running a smuggling business from the Border Princes, but nothing has been proven. He represents the interests of the working Sonnefurt men in the Council. His sly personality makes it difficult to trust him, and the only reason he gets his way is due to his reputation of using his Ogre bodyguards to devastating effect.

Newer Additions

Lord Herwin Augustus
Lord Herwin Augustus is a wealthy lawyer who has risen to prestige in Sonnefurt, allowing him to buy his way into the Council many years ago to the disdain of the town leaders, already upset with the mercantile influence. Lord Herwin is a modest man, not dressing as befits his money and rank, but instead he refuses to drink, party of indulge, making him appear a very boring man. As a lawyer, Lord Herwin is an adept debater and often manages to secure his desires within the Council. However, he is obviously used by the Council, for he enjoys being a lawyer, and is often told to preside over the Judicial Court, meaning the other councillors can avoid the task.

Prince Imre Lank
Prince Lank was formerly King of a small Border Princedom over the mountains. He was thrown out in a coup by his rebellious army and fled with all his wealth, finding a home in Sonnefurt. Like Lord Augustus, he used this wealth to buy his influence in the town and buy himself a position on the Council. His thick accent makes it hard to understand him and no one takes his views on Sonnefurt seriously, seeing him still as an outsider. His contributions to the Sonnefurt Barracks have, however, earned him the respect of Marshall Eichhorn.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
I was thinking, if we divy up Wissenland a bit more, the whole land will have a forum member in charge of a part. :wink: 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
You'll just need a fourth guy, then you're done.

:icon_wink:

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »
I was thinking, if we divy up Wissenland a bit more, the whole land will have a forum member in charge of a part. :wink:

Its true.... then all we will need is some forum of narrative story which could describe the various forum members warring over their neighbors processions
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »
Its true.... then all we will need is some forum of narrative story which could describe the various forum members warring over their neighbors processions

I would be very much up for this, particularly in Wissenland. Perhaps it could be based around Baron von Kalb of Kroppenleben (Leopold's master) trying to take over Sonnefurt, with some renewed Solland tensions?

Anyhow, here are the rumours that I promised:

My liege,

Although you may complain about the extensive tab I have been accumulating within the bars, taverns and inns of Sonnefurt, I can guarantee I have not just be fritting it away, but it has been essential in my research. I have been able to ply certain gossips with drink and it has acted like the best magic in making their tongues wag. This way I have gathered a lot of information otherwise unknown, old wives tales, rumours, gossip and scandal as well as myths and legends concerning the town. I hope you can find a use for them.

Your meagre servant

Leopold

Gossip and Scandal

The Baroness
Although the Baroness keeps herself to herself, there are a series of rumours concerning her night time callers. Captain Leo Strotmann was said to be one of these callers, although now it is common knowledge he is courting Lady Frederica Zell. Marshal Eichhorn has been rumoured to have had an affair with the Baroness too, mainly due to the fact he often accompanies her everywhere, even if not strictly necessary. However, this rumour is also disputed by the contrary rumour relating to their falling out. Apparently Marshal Eichhorn was seen leaving her town mansion in a hurry, chased by his own men of the Baroness’s body guard

The Baroness is also said to have a problem concerning her love for the Sonnefurt wine. A man told me he knew a man, who knew a man, who knew a man, who works in the Baroness’ kitchens and he reputedly said that the Baroness manages to get through a lot of the local wine, regularly consuming a bottle a night. This source obviously has dubious backgrounds, but I found some records after some delving which show that a lot of wine is produced, and hardly any of it reaches further than the Villa.

The Baroness’ regular disputes with the Countess Liebewitz are common knowledge. Sonnefurt has had many embargoes placed on it as the result of constant bitter and petty fights between the second cousins. The Baroness often refuses to appear at the Countess Court when she is summoned and the tensions escalate every year. It would be easy to convince the Countess to do more to restrict Sonnefurt prior to a takeover, crippling its economy and will to fight.

Marshall Eichhorn
I have already mentioned the Marshall’s alleged affair with the Baroness but other scandal surrounds the Marshall. The main rumour that is heard is a long established one. Many believe that Marshall Eichhorn was behind the mysterious death of former Marshal Kurt Salzemund. Of course, many dispute this rumour, claiming that it was the magic of Morr’s Chasm or even rat shaped humans who dwell in that area. These people are often however widely criticised and denounced as madmen and it is more commonly believed that the Marshall was behind the assassination. The Marshall stands firm on his stance it must have been rat men, but nothing has been done to section nor punish him.

General Rumours

The Solland Resistance
In my time at the Despot’s Head Tavern I encountered many Solland insurrectionists. They meet regularly in the tavern’s basement and plot to take down the Baroness. Foiled attempts in the past have included a barrel of gunpowder somehow smuggled under the Baroness’ bed and trying to kill the Baroness as she rode in the Martinswald, slaying only one of her bodyguards. Despite these attempts the town watch have not yet located the key members, and this leads me to believe they are being paid off by the richer rebels.

The insurrectionists are not particularly strong on their own, but apparently they are well connected and funded by certain families in the town. I believe that with a bit more funding, they may be able to help us in our attempts to be rid of the Baroness.

The Sonnefurt Gentleman’s Club
The Gentleman’s Club is a publically known organisation in Sonnefurt but the rumour that surrounds it is its true business. The men of families of merchants and nobles join the Club which is now taking on a cult status within the town. Between them they own the vast majority of the city, rivalling Marius Blech for control of the town’s business. Membership is publically stated, and the most prominent members include Miengot Elzacher, Aldred Guttmann, Lord Herwin Augustus, Prince Lank and Lord Zell, father of Lady Frederica, meaning they have considerable sway on the town’s Council.

The Gentleman’s Club are fighting a secret war against Marius Blech for total control of the town, and they often utilise the courts to close down some of Blech’s enterprises. Crossing the interests of the Gentleman’s Club for anyone without considerable legal or physical protection is an incredibly dangerous undertaking, and many wrongdoers in the city have experienced the rich men’s vigilante style justice.

Marius Blech’s Underworld
Marius Blech definitely is a hot topic on the lips of the gossips in Sonnefurt. His meteoric rise in riches is not only reputed, but well known to be the doing of his criminal connections within the Dockyards. He owns The Cardinal’s Inn and is said to be its greatest customer. The brothel is apparently the base of his operations, but raids by the town watch have found nothing to prove his connection other than ownership.

Blech is a loan shark, involved in racketeering and money laundering, runs protection rackets and owns most of the homes in the Dockyards. He operates a smuggling business which brings in all manner of people from the Border Princes to Nuln and further on. His boats are never checked by the Dock Watch for fear of what they might find. His reputation comes mainly from the fear of his minions, particularly his Ogre bodyguards, who do more than just break legs in order to get money back or ensure Blech’s interests.

Local Myths and Legends

Morr’s Chasm
Morr’s Chasm opened in 1804, and reports all over south Wissenland, and from Karak Hirn tell of the ‘Witch Lights’ an unnatural green light that came from the Martinswald that night and glowed for weeks on end as Morrslieb neared the Old World. The Chasm itself no longer glows green but looks like a black abyss. Residents of Martinskorf are wary of the Chasm and venerate it with great suspicion.

There are several interpretations of the Chasm. As the name suggests, locals believed it to be an entrance to Morr’s Underworld, linking its opening to the nearing of his moon. Certain mad men claim it is an entrance to underground rat men caves and Dwarf records, which are incredibly hard to obtain, are said to corroborate with this view. Morr’s Chasm has been linked to the death of the former Marshal Kurt Salzemund and many others, but still no one knows the real reasons.

The Hermit of the Aschen Hills
The Hermit of the Aschen Hills is a folk figure in Thalfang and the entire region. No one knows his origins but many claim he is a sorcerer of dark orientation. The fact that no one can remember a time without the hermit adds to the claim he is not mortal. Anything bad that happens in Thalfang, the failure of the harvest, the failed childbirths, birth defects, disease and a myriad of ill omens, is blamed on the hermit. The Hermit is used to convince children to behave, claiming he will eat their soul if they do not obey their elders.

Scholars from Nuln studying the folk history of the Empire believe the hermit may be just one of a series of cult leaders and magisters of the many dark cults that penetrate the Empire. They also believe that his power extends further than just failed harvests, and believe the various hermits have chosen the Aschen Hills for a reason, perhaps for summoning foul demons. Attempts to hunt down any of the hermits have proved fruitless and have since been stopped to avoid unnecessary danger.

The Ghosts of the Dieten Hills
The eastern side of the Dieten Hills houses an ancient barrow of a former tribal chieftain.  Residents of Ertingen and Strazen have always been wary of the hills, and wives tales warn anyone from wandering across the mountains alone. Howls of wolves and whistles of unnatural winds on the hills terrify any travellers and as such the Ertingen-Strazen Road skirts the Dieten Hills.

Reports from the Soll River Patrol of battles against the undead near the Dieten Hills are massively disputed by all but the madmen of the region. Although superstitions regarding the undead exist in the region, no one believes the dead will walk to the extent they do further north.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »

I just said almost the exact same thing on my wusterburg thread!

the real dream would be to have every town in the empire detailed by a forum member!

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
Just a quick one for tonight...

My Liege,

Due to a recent windfall I have managed to locate a copy of the Barony of Sonnefurt’s tax records, something I thought you would be very interested it. It details all the taxes put upon the residents of the local towns and their purposes. Of course, when you come to power, some of the budget can be redirected to your own personal coiffeurs.

Your acquiescent servant

Leopold

Imperial Taxes
These taxes are little different to the taxes imposed on Kroppenleben, as they are issued from Altdorf itself. In fact they are common taxes across the land, but I have included them so you can see how they affect the Barony.
Poll Tax- 1 GC per annum for every owner of property in the Empire
Printing Tax-One silver shilling per document or book printed on any press in the Empire
Black Tax- Gunpowder is taxed for one tenth of it price wherever it is sold in the Empire.

Barony Taxes
These taxes are solely applicable to the Barony of Sonnefurt. You will notice many that are similar to one we implement, but they are implemented differently. Some are imposed by Nuln, but do not affect us in Kroppenleben.
Soll Tax- Imposed by the city of Nuln. It is collected from any citizen who uses the River Soll as a regular trade route (regular is classed as once a month). The tax is calculated at 2GC per foot, per vessel, per annum. The Soll River Patrol is exempt from this tax. The tax is in fact part used to fund the Patrol.
Entry Tax- Imposed by the Baroness on entrants into the town of Sonnefurt who do not live or own a residence within the confines of the Barony. The tax is charged at 2 shillings per leg and 1 GC for a cart or coach.
Port Tax- Imposed on merchants not bearing a signed letter from the Baroness or Council of Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt who want to use the docks of either Sonnefurt or Ertingen. In Sonnefurt the tax varies depending on the size of vessel, from 2-6 GCs, in Ertingen, the tax is cheaper, ranging from 1-4 GCs
Dock/Marina Tax- Collected from anyone in the town who docks their vessels in Sonnefurt or Ertingen, charged at 10 shillings per foot, per vessel, per annum.
Commercial Property Tax- Collected from anyone who owns property used for commercial business, whether it be a shop, a warehouse, a tavern or a wharf. The tax varies depending on the properties location, use and profits. It can range anywhere from 1-5 GCs per foot per annum.
Guild Tax- Collected from guild membership money at five percent of guild profits per annum
Liberty Tax- Originally imposed by Dieter Wulstberg to fund his purchase of the Barony’s towns from the Pfeifraucher family. It charges one percent of household incomes across the region.
Wanderer’s Tax- Collected solely from those who do not reside within the Barony, but have stayed in Sonnefurt for over one week. Charged at 1GC a week and collected when the traveller leaves the town.

Exceptions
Certain residents of the Barony are exempt from certain taxes.
The Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt- The Council are, besides the Baroness, the only people exempt from every local tax.
Nobility- the nobility are exempt from all taxes imposed by the Baroness bar the Liberty Tax and the Marina Tax.
Dwarfs- Due to charters set down by Magnus the Pious, Dwarfs are exempt from all taxes concerning their guilds. They are exempt from the Liberty Tax too and pay a much lower rate for Commercial Property Tax as not to drive them away.
Council Verified Exceptions- The Council can exempt anyone they see fit from taxation, except the Liberty Tax. This exemption often comes at a price and is very rare.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
Religion today. Most of the lesser and Tilean Gods are inspired by Mad Alfreds work on a campaign based around Sudenland.

My liege,

The religion of the Empire, and Wissenland, are common knowledge to you of course, but I felt I should send you a short letter concerning smaller deities and saints worshiped in the towns and the cults that have developed around them. The people of Sonnefurt and the entire Barony are incredibly religious, verging on superstitious, so it worth knowing of these quirks so you do not offend when you come to rule.

Your faithful servant,

Leopold

Gods and Goddesses

Sigmar, Taal, Rhya, Morr and Ulric
The people of the Barony of Sonnefurt worship these gods just like we do, and put veneration in the order shown above.

Lacothea
Lacothea is the Goddess of the River Soll. Those who depend on her for their livelihoods pay her the most attention, so she is particularly popular with the workers in Ertingen and Sonnefurt and the village of Strazen. In Thalfang her worship is particularly strong, even with those who do not work on the river. The flood of the River Soll is vital for the town’s economy, for without the fertile land provided by the Soll, the town would have no food for the winter. The worship of Lacothea in Thalfang is done with mixed veneration and fear, for the Great Flood of Thalfang in 1778 is still remembered as a time where Thalfang residents upset the Goddess and paid the dear price.

The Cult of Lacothea is primarily concerned with keeping the natural order of the River Soll intact. The Soll River Patrol contributes many members to the Cult and is considered its military wing. There are no specific feast days for the Goddess, except the celebrations of the flood held in Thalfang to coincide with the Spring Equinox and the Autumn Equinox, to pray for the flood and thank the Goddess for it respectively. The most famous member of the Cult is Captain Strotmann, for many of the ruling classes, including the Baroness, tend to ignore the Cult and are happy for it to run peacefully.

The Old Faith
The Old Faith is still revered in certain parts of the Barony. The villages of Bezeinhof and Martinskorf worship the Old Faith and hold small village celebrations at the various ancient stone circles within the Martinswald and even as far as the Bezau Hills. The Old Faith is not regarded as the chief religion like in some wilder parts of the Northern Empire, but is still regarded with great respect. Reports say, however, that the worship is dying out slowly with each generation, and it will not be long until all traces of the Old Faith in the religion become little more than memories.

The Cult of the Mother is the leading Cult of the Old Faith, and runs all over the towns and villages which are close to the Black Mountains. In the Barony of Sonnefurt the Cult’s leader is Maggie Gaffwiger. Sepp Sydow is a devote member of the Cult and is venerates the Old Faith to a degree verging on fanaticism. This makes the Cult a prominent problem when it comes to timber demands in the Council and it has been known for the Cult to get proactive and violent when their holy land is threatened by the townsfolk.

Deanosus
Deanosus is Tilean God of Wine, Vineyards and Revelry and has slowly permeated the culture of southern Wissenland due to immigration over the years and has been accepted by many in the Barony of Sonnefurt. Deanosus is particularly worshiped by the rich families in Sonnefurt, and the most famous shrine to the God can be found in the back of Gilles’ Wine Bar in the Upper River Side. Deanosus is also venerated by the wine merchants of the Barony and the owners and workers on the vineyards of Ertingen and Thalfang.
The Cult of the Vine is a very small cult within the region, reserved only for the very richest and most indulgent members of the aristocracy. They are a Cult of revelry and excess and it is rumoured the Countess attends their meetings at the high class parties in the town. The Baroness’ Villa Wine bears the head of Deanosus and the sacred vine, adding more to this presumption.

Panasia
Panasia is another Tilean Goddess, the Goddess of Music, Poetry and the Arts. She is little worshiped, except by the artists and musicians of the region, and is barely known to most residents of Sonnefurt.  However, former Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg was a known devotee and built the Von Heisenberg Theatre in the Goddess’ name and it functions as the Barony’s largest shrine to the goddess. The Troubadour Tavern houses a small shrine too, and the loud noise is often passed off as ‘worship’ of the Goddess.

Phaestos
Phaestos is another Tilean deity, the God of Crafts and Smiths. He is primarily revered in the Market District of Sonnefurt as well as the boat builders of the Dockyards, as well as the smiths of all the towns in the Barony. No large, public shrines have been built to the god, as the majority of smiths in Sonnefurt are in fact Dwarfs, but private shrines are permitted in workshops all across the Barony.

The Pilgrim
The Pilgrim is the wandering Halfling God and has a very small following in the Barony. Despite being a Halfling God, he has been brought to Wissenland by migrating Halflings from the Moot and Averland and his worship has slowly made its way down the Soll to Sonnefurt. Due to his role as the patron of wanderers and those that travel the roads and rivers of the Old World, his worship is mainly focussed on the Barony’s merchants, the Soll River Patrol and the South Wissenland Road Wardens. However, worship is not strong amongst these, and the Pilgrim plays a very small role in the Barony’s religion.

Saints and Respected Folk Heroes

Father Karl Victor
Father Victor was Sonnefurt’s first holy man. He is said to have met with Sigmar and fought at the Battle of Black Fire Pass. He brought religion back to Sonnefurt and converted the people to the worship of Sigmar. He founded the Church of Sigmar in the town which was they rebuilt as the Sanctuary of Sigmar, honoured to him and funded by his money. He is seen as the founder of religion and many tales are told to children about his supposed feats at the battle of Black Fire Pass. Some of these claim he held Sigmar’s standard, his hammer, and that he felled five hundred Orcs, and every single story is different. As such he has ascended to a Saintly and legendary figure in the region and is respected by most devout Sigmar followers.

Mad Edgar
Mad Edgar once lived in Thalfang and was said to have been diagnosed with a disease that would end his life before the end of 1804. This however, was the same year Morr’s Chasm opened. Eager to cheat death, legend states that one night he was seen venturing towards Morr’s Chasm with the aim of lowering himself down to meet with and bargain with Morr.  He is said to have returned over five years later, looking no different save for a few scars and a deep green glow in his once blue eyes. He had no recollection of what happened to him in the Chasm, but many believe that he fought with Morr for his life and won, because he lived reportedly for another fifty years, becoming Thalfang’s oldest ever resident and holding that title to this day.

Other reports infer that Edgar may have been tested on by the ‘rat men’, feeding him with ‘Wyrdstone’ which had unique healing properties and prolonged his life. His scars are also said to be the result of strange dissection experiments. However, due to the imaginary status of these ‘rat men’ the story involving Morr is much more believable.

Edgar is solely venerated by the superstitious, who believed Morr shined on a resident of Thalfang and that Morr’s Chasm really is an entrance to his world, blessing the Barony with his presence. Edgar is often the basis of any celebrations centred around Morr in the region, although these are not frequent.

Hans Hettinger
Hans Hettinger was a common dock worker in Sonnefurt until 1822, when the mourning after one hundred years since the first riots against Kreutzhofen turned into a bloody battle on the streets of Sonnefurt and Kreutzhofen troops slaughtered many innocent townsfolk. Hans Hettinger not only organised the smuggling of many women and children to Ertingen for safety, but also led the Defence of the Dockyards. The Defence of the Dockyards is a famous moment in Sonnefurt’s history, particularly for those living in the dockyards. The skirmish lasted fifteen days and was a heroic guerrilla effort by many resent filled dockers. The resistors were all killed, including Hans, but are now considered as martyrs and represent the uprising of the downtrodden for all Sonnefurt’s working classes.

Mention of Hans Hettinger evokes pride in these people, and as such his followers are considered dangerous by even the Baroness, for they recall his name every time taxes are raised. The celebration of the Sonnefurt Resistance on Victory Day is always a time of tension, and the watch are put on guard just in case trouble arises. In light of your take over, I would suggest an increased watch in the Dockyards to quell any trouble that will inevitably arise.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »
Sometimes I get the feeling I go into too much detail...

Ah well :biggriin:

My liege,

Enclosed is the short chapter of Marcus Streinhold’s fabulous book ‘My Wondrous Voyages in Wissenland: The Land and its Merry Folk’ that concerns the Barony of Sonnefurt. You may have read the section that concerned our Barony, I myself found it very enjoyable. The book is an excellent source of information on all people of the Barony, and not just those who live in Sonnefurt.

Your modest servant

Leopold

‘My Wondrous Voyages in Wissenland: The Land and its Merry Folk’- The Barony of Sonnefurt- Marcus Streinhold
And now we come to the Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland; the domain of Baroness Katarina von Heisenberg.

The Merry Folk
The people of the Barony call themselves Sonnefurters, even if they live in the surrounding towns and villages. Generally a pleasant people, the warmer temperature of the south makes the people a lot more agreeable and easy going. The Sonnefurters are typically country folk, despite the large town of Sonnefurt and all that is associated with it.

Most Sonnefurters work the land as farmers, shepherds, fisherman and workers in the vineyards. Their days are dominated by their work and as such interruption to the flow of life is not well appreciated. The Sonnefurters are particularly independent, even for Wissenlanders, due to their history of oppression. As a result, influence from Nuln is widely disliked and like the Baroness, the Sonnefurters do not hold the Countess in high regard. They are wary of strangers from ‘the North’ as they do not trust their motivations for coming to the Barony, seeing them all as tax collectors or minions of evil overlords. Despite this, they are warm and welcoming towards those that are obviously foreign, like the large amount of foreigners and mercenaries who pass through the Barony, as they relate them to Dieter Wulstberg, the famous Marienburger who saved the Barony from Kreutzhofen influence.

The Towns and Villages
The towns and villages of the Barony are often overlooked in favour of the large town of Sonnefurt by most outsiders, and just looking into the quirks of the townspeople does not give a wide picture of its merry folk. Detailed below are the general stereotypes of the people who live in these outlying settlements.

Ertingen-Those in Ertingen are generally regarded as the closest to the townspeople of Sonnefurt. The ferry that links the towns does not realistically travel very far, and the two towns can see each other clearly. In fact, the two towns are often mistaken for one town divided by a river by visitors, and this is where it earns its rarely used name of ‘Little Sonnefurt’.

The people of Ertingen, or Ertingers, however, fiercely reject this interpretation, flaunting their later acquisition from Kreutzhofen as a fact of this. They see themselves as more down to earth and outside of the politics of Sonnefurt. This is true, as there are significantly fewer merchants in the town and the rich people of Sonnefurt even regard Ertingers in the same light as the Dockers of their own town. Contrary to this opinion, they are not as rough and oppressed as the Dockers and are actually pleasant people.

In fact, Ertingen is probably the nicest town outside of Sonnefurt in the Barony, and I actually preferred it to Sonnefurt itself, finding it more agreeable and a true country town, rather than one tainted by Nuln.  This is what makes Ertingen a favourite with travellers, and the town has many inns, taverns and hotels for those who don’t want to stay in Sonnefurt, or want to be on the north side of the river.

As well as a rivalry with Sonnefurt the town also harbours deep resentment for Thalfang, as Thalfang is generally regarded as the Barony’s second town, due to its marginally higher population. Thalfang are the perpetuators of the image of ‘Little Sonnefurt’ in an attempt to link them with the rich, snobbish Sonnefurters.

Thalfang- Those in Thalfang, commonly known as Thalfangers, or simply ‘Fangers’ , are commonly regarded as country folk, despite living in the second largest town in the Barony. They are mostly farmers, and do not see a lot of travellers due to the distance they have to keep from the river due to the flood at the fork of the Soll and the Aschen rivers. As such they are seen as more hostile to outsiders and as a generally gruff folk.

Thalfangers are also the most superstitious of all the Sonnefurters, especially as regards Lacothea, the minor Goddess of the River Soll, due to the floods and the fact their livelihood depends on the river. Their superstitions are also exemplified by the common myths of ‘the Hermit of the Aschen Hills’ and ‘Mad Edgar of Thalfang’, and most of the feast days are times of great celebration in Thalfang, and the town holds the biggest festivals for even the most minor of days in the whole region, resenting the apathy of the rest of the Barony.

‘Fangers’ like to flaunt their superiority over Ertingers and are actually the ones who keep up the rivalry, as Ertingers were once fairly indifferent to Thalfangers, until Thalfang’s population expanded marginally with the movement of refugees from country homesteads into the protection of the town after the Dark Year.

I didn’t linger long in Thalfang, only staying a night, and feeling the disapproving eyes of the residents due to the way I dressed and my evident links to Nuln. As such, there are hardly any places to stay, the taverns do not have many bedrooms and there is only one inn. The people seemed friendly to each other, however, but conversation dissipated when I walked into any establishment.

Ostrach- Ostrachers are known as the poorest folk in the whole of the Barony and have been since the end of the Dark Year. As a result, the town is almost completely militarised, for one of the only available profitable jobs is the army. Ostrachers therefore are a very hardy folk, the older generations are hardened by their time in the army and the youth have grown up on tales of heroism and a strict daily life enforced by the discipline instilled by their parents.

There is little in the town in the way of shops, but Ostrach is known for having the most taverns, inns and hotels per person in the whole Barony, and in the whole of South Wissenland. This gives the Ostrachers a reputation of being alcoholics and wasters. However, many of the local people do enjoy taking advantage of the delights of ‘Alcoholic’s Avenue’

The Ostrachers are the proudest Sonnefurters of them all, owing to their role in the defence of the Barony. They are fierce supporters of the Baroness and were actively involved throughout the years in resistance movements against the Kreutzhofen rulers. They fiercely keep the history of the Barony alive through many folk tales, songs and ballads that resound from the inns and taverns each night, and Ostrach bands are always well received in the city, at the taverns and the theatre.

I honestly do not remember a huge amount of my time in Ostrach, except for the huge throbbing pain in my head the next day. Evidently, the people were fairly welcoming and I do remember enjoying learning the songs, although for the life of me, I cannot remember a word, though reports tell me I sang along at the top of my lungs. Despite the rough exterior of the townspeople of Ostrach they do know how to have a good time, and it is worth spending some time with them to learn more about the Barony that one would find out anywhere else.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 07:57:21 PM »
I have created a blog for anyone following the development of Sonnefurt, and who wants to read it in an ordered fashion.

The address is:
http://sonnefurt.blogspot.com/

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »
My liege,

I discovered more useful information concerning the people of the Barony of Sonnefurt, and thought it might interest you. The information comes from a paper entitled, ‘Dialects of Wissenland: Nuln to Kreutzhofen’ and is written by Frank Rein, a prominent language scholar at the University of Nuln. I believe that knowing about the language influences will mean you do not offend or mock the inhabitants for their strange sounding dialect.

Your devoted servant

Leopold

The Sonnefurt Tongue
The influence of mercenaries and foreigners is greatly recognised in the Barony, especially in the Sonnefurt tongue. The intonation and inflection of their version of Reikspiel pays a lot to the languages of the Border Princes as well as some Breton influences and this makes it different from other Soll-side accents. These influences render their language as laid back as the people are themselves, and earns them the reputation of sounding like country bumpkins and peasants. As such, the more prominent merchants and families of the trading town try to adopt a more widely accepted Nuln accent, often failing and creating the oft mocked ‘Nulnurt’ sub-accent. The Baroness, although rarely heard by the common folk, has a more northern accent, owing to her family’s background in Heisenberg, but, over the years, has apparently developed certain Sonnefurt and southern nuances.

Many of the more educated Sonnefurters speak more than one language, but with the variety stemming from the Border Princes, there is no common second language. The workers and farmers often have no reason to learn foreign languages, unless their family is descended from a far off land.

There are certain unique phrases that come from the Barony, and I have detailed a few below.

People
‘Northerner’- in the Barony of Sonnefurt this relates to anyone who lives north of the ruins of Bugman’s Brewery. It is not an endearing term.
‘Uppsoller’- shortened from ‘Upper Soller’ this phrase relates to anyone living on the Northern bank of the River Soll.
‘Sotsoller’- shortened from ‘South Soller’ this phrase relates to anyone living on the Southern bank of the River Soll
‘A Raucher’ – stemming from the Pfeifraucher family the phrase relates to anyone regarded as a an oppressor, a villain or wrongdoer. The use of this phrase is slowly dying out however as the days of the Pfeifraucher family are being forgotten.
‘A Hans’- stemming from the famous resistance fighter Hans Hettinger and relates to anyone regarded as a rebel.
‘Wanderer’- this relates to any foreigner, mercenary or travelling merchant who visits the area.
‘Lowlanders’-this name relates to all Dwarfs who live within the Barony and can trace their ancestry back to Karak Hirn. It is a name used by humans and dwarfs alike.
‘Dockers’- this name is a name used by the richer people in the town of Sonnefurt to relate to anyone they regard as working class. It is not an endearing term.

Places
‘The City’- this, surprisingly does not commonly refer to Nuln to most of the regions habitants. Most of the common folk wrongly believe Sonnefurt to be a city, just like Nuln, for many have not ventured out of the Barony. Those more educated know the difference and enjoy pointing out the lack of culture of the peasants.
‘Morr’s Chasm’- this is the commonly given name for the mysterious hole that opened in 1804 in the Martinswald.
‘The Howling Downs’-a common name for the Dieten Hills in relation to their supposed haunted nature due to the cairn that was built millennia ago.

Sayings
‘As mad as Edgar’- this saying refers to the folk hero ‘Mad Edgar’ and is used to describe anyone who is strange, bizarre or does anything eccentric
 ‘To drink like a Baroness’- this saying refers to the rumour of the Baroness’ excessive wine drinking habits.
‘To sing at the Troubadour’- this saying refers to the Troubadour tavern, the loudest place in the whole of Sonnefurt. It is used to describe making excessive noise.
‘I’ll be at the Villa’- a sarcastic phrase referring to the Baroness’ tendency to spend most of her time in her country villa rather than in Sonnefurt itself. It is commonly used when anyone will be away from home for a long time. It is particularly used by soldiers with an ironic twist, as they will most definitely not be in a luxurious villa.

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:52 AM »
Great stuff mate.... I hope there is more coming....
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline Burgermeiser

• Members
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
Very nice fluff. Is the baroness hot? Of course she is :engel:
"To reign in Averland, you must be as mad as an Elector. Which, fortunately, I am!"-Marius Leitdorf (Viscilitudes of Count Averland, Chapter VII, Paragraph XIV)

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
The Countess is jealous of the youth and beauty the Baroness possesses,

So in answer, yeah she's not half bad  :icon_wink:

When I get the model made I'll be sure to make her live up to her flufftastic beauty.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »
Fluff Update Time! :biggriin:

I will probably add the below maps to the Geography section in my first post eventually, but I thought I'd post them here first of all. Also, due to the restrictions of Blogspot.com, these are an W-E.com exlusive  :happy:

Sonnefurt:

I shall explain the paint added lines.

Top left is the Lower River Side
Top middle is the Upper River Side
Top right is The Dockyards
Middle is The Market District
Middle right is The Sonnefurt Hill
Bottom  s The Dwarfen Quarter
Right is The Military District

Ertingen

The river to the South is the River Soll

Thalfang

The river to the East is the River Aschen

Ostrach

The Baroness' Villa

The mountains in the background are the Bezau Hills

I have stolen all of these images from various Role Playing websites, sorry to anyone reading who made them, but I'm shamelessly exploiting your work  :engel:

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Wow nice finds mate.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
At first I was going ask ... how did you come up with those so fast and what are you using to create them ... yet by the end of your post there was no need.  Neat things to find, although when I begin doing more detailing of the area in Averland that I'm currently creating, I'm want to come up with a new map.  However, I can see how the ones you've found could work.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
Although these maps were pre-made I had to trawl through plenty of them in order to find suitable ones for the different towns. Sonnefurt was originally Wurtbad in Stirland, but when I looked at all the buildings it looked perfect.

I also did some editing on the Sonnefurt map, removing the 'Wurtbad' banner in between the bottom two shields and replacing it with smaller homesteads. I also cut and pasted the Baroness' gardens to turn it into the towns cemetery on the outskirts of the town , including the mausoleums that can be seen.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
Very nice finds indeed.  I think eventually I will redo the map I have done for my town as it just doesn't settle well with me, which is unfortunate considering the time I put into it already...

I found an interesting link that pertained to the city map generator you previously used.  It combined that with photoshop (a fellow posted an article on another forum).  The end result was very amazing, but alas I have no photoshop.

If anyone is interested in that check out this forum: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1150-Award-Winner-A-medieval-town-map-tutorial-in-Photoshop

This is what the finished product looks like:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:07:13 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...