home

Author Topic: AoS games and questions  (Read 1701 times)

Offline adsVampire

• Members
AoS games and questions
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
I've played around 8-10 games of AoS so far.  At first I didn't much like the game but have learned to like.  Currently I am using Mo comp version 1.1 which is what that English tournament used and I must say it is the closest thing I've found yet to balancing games.

Game #1 - Empire vs WE

Empire

General of the Empire
Warrior Priest
Celestial Hurricanum w/ Wizard
War Altar with Volkmar the Grim
Engineer

30 State Troops - Halberds
20 State Troops - Halberds
20 Crossbowmen
2 Great Cannons
10 Outriders

vs

Orion
Treeman Ancient
Glade Lord on Forest Dragon

Treeman
10 Wild Riders
5 Glade Riders
40 Glade Guard

I thought I was going to get completely powned but, as it turns out, cannons with an engineer are awesome.  Also, I would have done better had I known that the Hurricanum shoots 3 times ... not once ... each round.  There are so many little rules to remember for each unit.  The cannons first dropped the forest dragon, then orion, then the wild riders and glade riders in the same turn, then the ancient, and finally the last treeman.  Oh, and then they severally damaged the glade guard.  Ouch.  It did help to have an 8" watch tower with the cannons and engineer bunkered on top.

Game #2

Grandmaster
Luther Huss
Warrior Priest
BSB???

Steam Tank
3 Demi-Gryph Knights
3 Demi-Gryph Knights
3 Demi-Gryph Knights
10 Knights
5 Outriders
5 Outriders
5 Outriders
5 Pistoliers
5 Pistoliers
5 Pistoliers

vs

Arachnarok w/ Goblin Great Shaman
Savage Orc Shaman
Savage Orc Shaman

2 Mangler Squigs
40-50 Night Goblins
4 Night Goblin Fanatics
6 Trolls
30 Savage Orcs with Big Stabbas
5 Wolf Riders
5 Wolf Riders

We did not get to finish this game but I'm pretty sure I would have won since I had won the last turn and would have had 2 in a row at that point.  The stank was pretty good (I played it that Over Pressure allowed me to re-roll everything concerning the tank ... everything ... to hit, to wound, number of wounds, etc ... it says all random rolls for the tank).  I used a wall of demis to shield the outriders and pistols so they could shoot-up the OG units for later combat.  We ended the game with the Arachnarok with one wound left, the NGs were surrounded by demis and knights, and only 6 savages remained.  There might have been a mangler left ... or I shot it off the field.

Anyway, my questions are the following:

How do people play the stank over pressure?  Do you get re-roll to hit and to wound as well?  Even for the engineer's weapons (not the repeater handgun since it specifically says not for that)?

How are people handling pile-in?  Straight in to the closest only?  Once a model is in contact it cannot move (since you can't get closer once you are in contact)?  Move any which way as long as the model ends closer to the closest model?  You don't have to pile-in if you don't want to?

Can you opt not to attack?  I had a situation where some Duardin slayers were engaged with the Seraphon Lord Kroak.  I had attacked first and done a few wounds and my opponents did not want to attack with Kroak (who can do quite a bit of damage in HtH) because he was afraid of the death blows potentially killing Lord Kroak.  We played it that he did have to attack and yes, the death blows ended up killing Lord Kroak (who failed his death die roll due to all of the damage).

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: AoS games and questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:49:09 PM »
1) Haven't played the stank myself yet,  would re-roll anything that has something to do with using the steam, so no to the rod (and the handgun which was made clear already) of the engineer. but the Bulk (driven by steam to maneuver), steam gun, steam cannon can all go.

2) Pile-in, straight to the closest model, if base to base (or model to model) then no more moving, others can then use pile in to move around to get to that closest model (next attack round could be another model that is then closest until it also touches an enemy. But opinions differ alot here on the use and mis-use of pile-in

3) You must attack till all eligible units have attacked from both sides. (4 page rule set, Combat Phase 2nd paragraph)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
Wait, the Celestial Hurricanium shoots 3 times?.   Wow, that is a must take model.  ....check warscroll, looks like it has a number of attacks depending on how many wounds it has, like a monster.   Even, so 3 definite mortal wounds, and potentially 18 is insane. 

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:32 AM »
Haha, sounds like you've been kicking in teeth left and right. Nice work, adsVampire. :biggriin:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »

1.) How do people play the stank over pressure?  Do you get re-roll to hit and to wound as well?  Even for the engineer's weapons (not the repeater handgun since it specifically says not for that)?

2.) How are people handling pile-in?  Straight in to the closest only?  Once a model is in contact it cannot move (since you can't get closer once you are in contact)?  Move any which way as long as the model ends closer to the closest model?  You don't have to pile-in if you don't want to?

3.) Can you opt not to attack?  I had a situation where some Duardin slayers were engaged with the Seraphon Lord Kroak.  I had attacked first and done a few wounds and my opponents did not want to attack with Kroak (who can do quite a bit of damage in HtH) because he was afraid of the death blows potentially killing Lord Kroak.  We played it that he did have to attack and yes, the death blows ended up killing Lord Kroak (who failed his death die roll due to all of the damage).

1).  It says you re-roll any random values.  So to me that doesn't include hit/wound/save rolls.  I think it means the random number of wounds caused etc.
Steam Cannon D6 damage
Steam Gun 2D6 attacks
Crushing Wheels D6 attacks
Move 2d6"
Steel Behemoth d3 Mortal Wounds
It specifically excludes the repeater handgun, which would have D3 random value for attacks, because it's not part of the steam tank itself.

It's vague enough to argue the case for re-rolls to hit/wound/save, but I think if it was, it would have specified those as well.   If it did include re-rolls for hits etc, I think it would also have excluded the HLR and Commander's Rod, since they're not steam weapons.

2).   Pile-in. Bearing in mind the following

COMBAT PHASE
"Step 1: When you pile in, you may move
each model in the unit up to 3" towards
the closest enemy model. "

WARSCROLLS & UNITS
"A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as
a single group of models, with all models
within 1" of at least one other model from
their unit. If anything causes a unit to
become split up during a battle, it must
reform the next time that it moves."

The second part in the games I've played until recently had been overlooked, with people assuming any sort of move means in the Move phase, but I don't think that's the case, I think it includes runs, charges and pile-ins.  And I would assume any other type of move, such as a teleport.

MOVEMENT PHASE
"Start your movement phase by picking one
of your units and moving each model in that
unit until you’ve moved all the models you
want to."

MOVING
"A model can be moved in any direction,
to a distance in inches equal to or less than
the Move characteristic on its warscroll."

RUNNING
"When you pick a unit to move in the
movement phase, you can declare that it
will run. Roll a dice and add the result to
the Move characteristic of all models in the
unit for the movement phase."

CHARGE PHASE
"Pick an eligible unit and roll two
dice. Each model in the unit can move this
number in inches."

COMBAT PHASE
"Step 1: When you pile in, you may move
each model in the unit up to 3" towards
the closest enemy model. "

With them being forced to pile-in and keep unit coherency, it means you can make use of re-director units.

As for the pile-in itself, we've been playing it so that if you're already in base-contact, you can move around a model, so long as you don't move more than 3", and are still in contact with the same model, to allow others in the unit to pile-in, or to maintain unit coherency.  I do get that some people would interpret that you can't move once in base contact. 

3).  Not attacking. 

COMBAT PHASE
"Any unit that has charged or has models
within 3" of an enemy unit can attack with
its melee weapons in the combat phase.

The player whose turn it is picks a unit to
attack with, then the opposing player must
attack with a unit, and so on until all eligible
units on both sides have attacked once
each."

Units can attack, until all eligible have attacked.  Those combined make it vague enough to go either way, though I'm inclined to go with all eligible.   Unless your opponent makes chicken noises and struts like a chicken during the combat phase

Offline Champildhir

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/juan.pascualanaya
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 01:40:13 AM »
3) You must attack I think with all units that can do it (in range, in combat, blah blah), but... you don't have to attack back to the unit that attack you if you have more than one unit in range. In my first game I had my Prince Imrik from the HE surrounded by two units. I didn't attack back to the one that attacked me first, but to the other, so I could eliminate it before it attacked me later. Also, you can select your units to attack in the order you want. If your very strong unit has just been attacked and it did fine, you don't need to attack back right away, and can select another weaker unit that has not been attacked yet and do some damage before they die.

That was quite the strategy that I was doing with my HE.