home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305547 times)

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
Re: 40K
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
Im not fond of the exterminator. Autocannons isnt a thing that the IG is short of. Then i would rather have a standard battlecannon with its ap3 and s8 ordonance large blast.
I am talking about a Paskinator, not a regular Exterminator. Pask is the whole point of the variant I talked about. With him, those Autocannons cease to be mere Autocannons and move up to the realm of missile launchers.
And for the price of an exterminator you can get 2 flak tanks and they have almost double the range!
And they are pointless in the role I talked about. The best those can go after is light vehicles, not battle tanks.
Without Pask the Exterminator is certainly not a bad tank either. 4 Twinlinked ACs and nine HB shots for 170 points, all wrapped into an AV 14 package. That said, I prefer the regular Russ as well over the regular Exterminator. But the regular Russ doesn't benefit very much from a Pask upgrade. The Exterminator does, hugely.

Haha the Paskinator :P I know that s8 autocannons are cool but i really dont see s8 as a battletank killer. I mostly go up against landraiders, predators, leman russes or rhinos its its mostly AV 14 or 11. I usually let the autocannons shoot the rhinos and the vendettas can play with the big stuff :P
Well the battlecannon russ would actually benifit well from Herr Pask. It would become S9 ordinance, thats some good AT, but granted, there are better things.
But i see your point about the paskinator. Its just i dont like the model :P

Yes that was stupid Shadowlord.. very stupid... but on the bright side, if you start IG again, your stocks will go up as well... Win Win

whats Wotr? Lord of the rings?
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
Shadowlord, you are sometimes more fickle than Mathi with your "favourite army of the week" thing.

Yeah but he doesn't make a new thread daily about it.  :engel:

And WotR is War of the Rings, and I'm vaguely intrigued at Shadowlord thinking of getting into it!
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Shadowlord, you are sometimes more fickle than Mathi with your "favourite army of the week" thing. Is that a Swedish genetic trait?

Probably, but I usually end up buying the stuff and then get rid of it a few weeks later, still in the boxes.  :icon_rolleyes:

That said, I am still dumbfounded you actually sold your awesome IG army. You, you... heretic!

Sometimes, I manage to get stuff painted (the IG army had some commission stuff from a local young and used-to-be poor talent) before I get rid of it.  :icon_lol:

And WotR is War of the Rings, and I'm vaguely intrigued at Shadowlord thinking of getting into it!

I have heard some good stuff about it, and unlike WFB and 40K, have several armies I like all the models (there are less units in WotR).

Playing is just one quarter of this hobby for me (collecting/buying, painting/converting, and fluff/background being the other three)
My hood is my castle...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
The only problem I've found with WotR is getting people to play it, I hope you have enough around to get some games!

It's a nice ruleset, it has flaws, like -any- game but they can easily be resolved with a chat.

Which forces were you thinking of? Gondor is the one I went with, and they can get very boring to paint, the basic army being a load of tin cans.  :-D But it is nice having so many figures on the table, and being able to move them so fluidly.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »
Probably, but I usually end up buying the stuff and then get rid of it a few weeks later, still in the boxes.  :icon_rolleyes:
Ah. So it's more a variant of the stereotypical female shoe fetish. Only that you get rid of the stuff again.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
Shadowlord, you are sometimes more fickle than Mathi with your "favourite army of the week" thing. Is that a Swedish genetic trait?
 :wink:

We just had this conversation on the beast board.  We think it is a swedish thing, with the difference being Shadowlord actually DOES pul lthe trigger and buy whole armies on a whim!

That said, I am still dumbfounded you actually sold your awesome IG army. You, you... heretic!

He has orks, which are hands down the best army in all of Warhammer, Fantasy or 40k.  You can't beat the models or the fluff.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
Orks are cool in any possible way, no question about it. But the great thing about 40k fluff is that I can not really think of any part about it that I dislike. It's all awesome (I am not talking about individual fluff pieces, but about the overall concept). And of course IG are the best.
That said, I'd be sorely tempted to get myself an Ork army for 40k or Fantasy, but two friends have both of those bases covered. And I don't really want to start another horde army...

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »
He has orks, which are hands down the best army in all of Warhammer, Fantasy or 40k.  You can't beat the models or the fluff.

Agreed 100%, and the is another aspect why I love them as I do with Ogres in fantasy, the conversion possibilities.  :icon_cool:

The only problem I've found with WotR is getting people to play it, I hope you have enough around to get some games!

I am currently courting two of the players, yeah with flowers, to start with this game. I am not worried about players, if I start, a few other will follow.

Which forces were you thinking of?

Mordor or Dwarfs, and maybe Tin Men.

@ Aldaris, yes I have fetish with plastic little men, but luckily my wife have been influencing me more and more (I did slip with that HE army some time ago) to keep it cool.
My hood is my castle...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »
Regardless of my usual preferences, that first Chimera halftrack conversion gave me some ideas for converting my old Chimera into a proper ork battlewagon.
Not that I'm opposed to converting Chimeras, but arent' they suppose to be amphibious?  Those tires don't seem like a good idea for an amphibious vechile.

However, I do like the idea of converting one as into a looted wagon. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
@ Aldaris, yes I have fetish with plastic little men
Don't we all...?

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »
I thought the Lord of the rings branch of GW was dead though :dry:

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »
I thought the Lord of the rings branch of GW was dead though :dry:

So do I, which to be honest is why I have yet to buy any real army.

And it's not like I have nothing to paint (say some 150 Orks and a bunch of big stuff, Ogres, and FW stuff).
My hood is my castle...

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2010, 10:48:47 AM »
What FW stuff? :P

But yea same here!

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »
So as i showed up for work today at the store, i noticed the new killa kans and venerable dreadnought stood on the desk in the office.
I immediately swooped over to them to check them out and looked at them.

I must say that the ven. dread is nicely detailed as you can expect and think its overall nice! Although I dont like that sacopharus thingy.
The killa kans are a little meh though. They are cool and all but their legs are all too plain and flat. They dont have chunks of metal there. But some cool weapons and bodies, thats for sure!

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
Oh and there are 3 kinds of the sacufarus thingies. One of  them looks like the old dreadnought's i think.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
Just so you're not talking to yourself McKnight, me and a friend need a third for some Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor 3v3  :engel:

We're both incredibly bad at it.  :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Saw a killa kan this past weekend.  This one had a smiling face on it ... bah.  Lets hope they can be modeled with out faces. :icon_rolleyes:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
I AM going to get me some killa kanz, one way or the other. Both metal ones and the new plastic will do!
I will drop a looted wagon just to be able to have a bunch of these nuttsies. Heck, I will even model some red berets onto them!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
Even I was tempted by the killa kans and I don't like 40k.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
I AM going to get me some killa kanz, one way or the other. Both metal ones and the new plastic will do!
I will drop a looted wagon just to be able to have a bunch of these nuttsies. Heck, I will even model some red berets onto them!

Killa Kans do really well on the battle field too.  They are far superior to dredds.  The unit can take alot of punishment for a crazy low price.  155 for a unit of 3 is awesome.  Get them into combat and even with WS2 those 2 S10 attacks will wear a unit out!

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
Evil robot dustbins are a good concept. They should have them in warhammer too.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2010, 01:49:41 PM »
You really invest in that sarc. mark.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
What?

I meant exactly what I said, as it happens.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
See !

This is excactly what happens when you dont use the sarc. mark! You get confusion. Maybe they should invent a non-sarc. mark to earn even more money :P

But how would those dustbins be powered in fantasy?

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »
Ehh?

Is that a question worthy of a man of the Empire, McKnight! :icon_eek:

We can either make them steam pistondriven or we make them clockwork driven.
How hard can it be? :engel:

Honestly, that clockwork horse annoys me, but bring me a clockwork dustbin and you will soon see another incarnation of Mathi Alfbluts personas commanding his own pistondriven walker.  :icon_mrgreen:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!