home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 9th Edition!  (Read 34881 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 9th Edition!
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
No comment on the above, eh?

- - -

So here's a video on this page currently that shows the guard getting trounced, followed by Sisters of Battle with Primus Space Marines vs. Necrons.

Wonder if that means Sisters of Battle will be included in the starter set.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
From what I gather the Sisters wont be in the starter set, but they are one of the armies they're 'focusing' on. Along with Necrons and Marines. i'm wondering (and hoping) if that means Sisters might get a mini starter set, kind of like the ones they did for AoS and the last edition of 40k.

I'm not super sure how I feel how the table size thing. Mostly because I'm used to playing on whatever table is available. I don't think I've ever measured, except for a kill team game.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 06:04:26 AM »
New box set to be revealed coming saturday
This will be the box art so they said in the Warhammer daily yesterday
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
Nice look to it. :icon_cool:

That color blue seems a step up from the previous Ultra look, and more along my like for style of blue as well.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2020, 03:22:52 PM »
I was just thinking... GW never says the edition number on the boxes and codexes, yet I never hear about new players picking up the wrong codex or army book for whatever version they intend to play. Has anyone else? I mean, the hobby store I go to still has 7th ed codexes on the shelf...

I wonder why GW doesn't have the version number somewhere on the products.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2020, 03:29:44 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of GW.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
Because they are fine with you playing whatever edition you like. They said as much in their 9th edition announcement on Warhammer Community. Some 40K players still play/prefer 7th edition, so thats probably why they still carry it (My brother was still playing 3rd edition long into 6th edition era! Mostly because he's a power gamer and came up with a deathstar list for 3rd and didn't want to change it). The models are not exclusive to 8/9 edition but some rules may need to be altered if you play an older edition for new units like Primaris Marines or these new spider like Necrons.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• Members
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »
more news on Tanks (and monsters)
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/09/tanks-are-back-on-trackgw-homepage-post-1/

noteworthy tidbit:
Engagement Range (that’s 1″ to you and me)

Heavy weapons change:

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2020, 06:16:01 PM »
Ah Steg, you beat me to it. I saw the Heavy Weapon update but didnt get a chance to post it. Too busy raking dirt.  :-P
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »
Because they are fine with you playing whatever edition you like. They said as much in their 9th edition announcement on Warhammer Community.

I get that, but imagine someone new to the hobby picks up the latest box set, and grabs a nearby army book. Doesn't realize till later he has the rulebook for one edition, and an army book for another. There is no way from looking at the products to know which goes with which if you weren't more into the hobby.

And some rule editions make certain units more powerful across different editions and points go along with that. So if you have a codex of an army which is great at close combat, and you pay a premium for units that excel at that, but buy a rulebook that makes close combat less effective, then you are overpaying.

Or some rules might conflict too, or use different terminology.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
Usually when they go to a new edition they remove all the older books that don't work anymore. But they only do that if there's a big jump that nullifies the previous army books. Like when they moved to 8th edition from Fantasy they said upfront what was happening, and then stores sent back or got rid of all their 7th edition copies. So it cuts down on problems like that at least.

The bigger thing is probably (hopefully) the people at the stores point out the difference.

But its an interesting though. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having a problem like that.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »
I get that, but imagine someone new to the hobby picks up the latest box set, and grabs a nearby army book. Doesn't realize till later he has the rulebook for one edition, and an army book for another. There is no way from looking at the products to know which goes with which if you weren't more into the hobby.
I certainly hope anyone joining the hobby would at least research or inquire at the store what to get before starting. Plus in this day and age, most people I know would look it up online before purchasing (usually to see if its cheaper on amazon). But your argument can be made by someone buying an age of sigmar rulebook, then an adeptus mechanicus army book, and Chaos space marine models. Hopefully the meatspace store has it all organized but unless the customer asks an employee, they may not know the difference. I put that burden on the customer, its their money thats being thrown around

And some rule editions make certain units more powerful across different editions and points go along with that. So if you have a codex of an army which is great at close combat, and you pay a premium for units that excel at that, but buy a rulebook that makes close combat less effective, then you are overpaying.

Or some rules might conflict too, or use different terminology.
True, but most first time explorers into the community don't usually go after whats powerful on the tabletop, they usually go after what looks cool. Its more fun to have models you think are cool on the tabletop than being a powergamer (at least when you start). But everyone gets their fun a different way. Some just like to paint, some like to play fun games, and some like to play competitively.

But its an interesting though. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having a problem like that.
Same here. Considering how expensive everything is, you'd think people would research or at least ask before purchasing. Its hard to return model kits that have been glued together already.  :icon_wink:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2020, 03:10:42 PM »
I will say, most people I know did precisely zero research beyond asking the store guy or some there "this looks cool, is this good? What is this thing?"

I actually run most of the tutorial/get starting stuff at our local club. I think I'm going to message some of the newer players and ask them if they ever ran into things like that. It's a very interesting though, and I guess I can see independent stores holding onto the older books for longer.

• Members
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2020, 04:46:12 PM »
Blast Weapons!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/10/having-a-blastgw-homepage-post-1/

All 174 Blast weapons and Relics listed in the back of the new Warhammer 40,000 Core Book gain this ability. Here’s a selection of five of them, and why we’re happy to see them included:

– Barbed Strangler (the Tyranids get to shoot up enemy hordes too!)
– Deathstrike missile (yes, your favourite ICBM is getting EVEN DEADLIER)
– D-cannon (yay – more warp displacement for everyone!)
– Squig launcha (nomnomnom)
– Phlegm bombardment (now extra icky)

• Members
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
Terrain in 9th!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/11/terrain-rules-and-line-of-sightgw-homepage-post-1/

All terrain types now fit into one of four categories – Hill, Obstacles, Area Terrain and Buildings. How units interact with them depends not just on the nature of the terrain itself, but on the unit’s own size and what type of unit they are.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »
When is actual release of 9th or has it happened already? 

I'm asking, um, for a friend, who er, didn't actually buy a rulebook for the last 8 years and who may or may not be having a birthday in 8 weeks and has two sons who are looking to get more active in the 40K hobby.  Yeah, that guy who looks nothing like me.  at all. 

ok, its me...
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
 :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

My understanding ... early July.

• Members
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2020, 06:47:38 AM »
What I heard unofficially was pre-order up 11th of July and available 25th of July

• Members

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »
Tons of new models being previewed. I'll stick them all here because it looks like they'll be the first wave of 9th.

And the new starter set? Box set?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2020, 04:34:20 PM »
And the Necron side!

Last picture is the core rulebook coming in the starter set, which I know GP was asking about.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »
I am loving those necrons as never before. That chaplain is a must and that lashing turret that reminds me of the flak 88 is a must as well
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
It is a BIG box. I'm already planning to split the marines between my homebrew chapter and my deathwatch to bulk 2 things out.

I like the turrent, but I honestly laughed out loud at the atv thing. Its just not at all what I expected.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
It is a BIG box. I'm already planning to split the marines between my homebrew chapter and my deathwatch to bulk 2 things out.

I like the turrent, but I honestly laughed out loud at the atv thing. Its just not at all what I expected.

With a little imagination, that could make a great old style ork buggy 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »
Oh, this is an interesting addition. This is the special edition launch set as their calling it.

You simply do not want to miss out on this amazing set, so it’s important to mention that, as it’s a special launch box to celebrate the new edition, it won’t be around forever. We’ve made (literal) boatloads, but if you want to make sure you’re among the first to hear when it becomes available to order, and ensure you’re in early doors to grab one for yourself, sign up to our newsletter and keep your eyes on the Warhammer Community website.