home

Author Topic: Help with Empire  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Hurin Thalion

• Members
Help with Empire
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:20:42 AM »
Hey guys, back into Fantasy after a long break and I'm delving into Empire. I took a trip to England this past summer and saw the Tower of London, I was inspired by a lot of the Tudor styling I saw there. I want to make a more "real world" inspired Empire force, but I'm not above exploring the more high fantasy areas. My family's crest features the griffin, so some Demigryphs and a General on a Griffon will definitely be in there. Here's a mock-up army, based simply on models I have and/ or like. I don't have the current army book, so it will be a bit vague and possibly have some illegal combinations.

Elector Count with Runefang, shield and full plate on Griffon
Knightly Grand Master with lance

BSB Captain
Warrior Priest with heavy armour and shield
Warrior Priest with heavy armour and great weapon

35 Swordsmen (6x6) with shields and FC
39 Halberdiers with shields and FC
10 Knights Panther
10 Inner Circle Knights
18 Handgunners (2x9)
18 Handgunners (2x9)
10 Huntsmen

Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Mortar
4 Demigryph Knights

Steam Tank
Helblaster Volley Gun
Out of Doubt, Out of Dark
to the Day's Rising I Came
Singing in the Sun, Sword Unsheathing

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
Re: Help with Empire
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »
You have a family crest? Holy crap... That's awesome.

Okay about the list, I can see why you want to put in a griffon and I want to test one myself. But I would probably not give him a runefang as the general only has 3 attacks. Consider some improved protection, white cloak is really good as the -1 to hit also applies to the griffon. Charmed shield can save him from cannon balls. Mounting him on a griffon gives him an 18" Inspiring Presence range, which is really good.

If you bring a general, don't bother with a grandmaster. You need some magic, for defense and offense.
BSB is a necessity, definitely want him in there.
Priests are great tools, probably should keep then cheap as you have done.

Swordsmen aren't very popular due to being very expensive. Should also go all out horde or just take ranks of 5, so 35 models in 5x7.
Halberdiers are considered to be the best state troops due to S4, but they have very little defense.(That's why their name has "-diers" in it) Don't bother with shields, they can only be used against ranged attacks as halberds need 2 hands.
Any kind of knights are probably empires best tools, maybe split them up in to 2 units of 5. Inner circle are great, also consider mounting your BSB for more armour and the knights durability.

Handgunners aren't great. Expensive, very good weapons though, but they have trouble hitting stuff with only a lowly BS of 3. That said, people prefer just plain archers, as they are cheaper and skirmishers, bring weaker weaponry though.

Huntsmen, oh boy... These guys are special and pretty much the worst choice in there. They have nothing archers don't have (expect scouts, but that doesn't really do much for WS3, BS3, S3 guys) Never have I played them, nor will I ever play them.
Consider trying Outriders instead of handgunners and huntsmen. They shoot more, they shoot better, also have the best bs of the empire at 4.

Cannons are great, never leave home without one. Mortars not so much, only S2, not good.
Demigryphs are the best special combat choice, nothing to say about them. 4 is the optimal size.
Tanks are amazing, bring one whenever you can.
Helblasters can be really good, you should buy an engineer for it, always. Rerolling a single artillery dice is huge and you also get to shoot at BS4.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
So, my assistence with empire is about 20 pages of advice, but its all very helpful. read it.

this is the link

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=49749.25

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
To add to Jompexx:
- Using the General on Griffon (GoG) is not easy. You have to avoid shooting (in particular by war machines), but there is not necessarily safety in CC either. He can be great in providing CC support, though. If you take him, Blood Roar is well worth the points. Note that Charmed Shield will save him from a cannon ball, not cannon balls.
- As Jompexx says, GoG and Grand master is a bit superfluous. However, in general, I would prefer a Grand master over a GoG.
- BSB are a necessity: equip them for survival, and choose wisely when to engage him in CC (he can always leave a unit that is about to be engaged).
- In general, Outriders but also Crossbowmen are better in this edition than Handgunners, but perhaps Handgunners is what you have.
Archers are the preferred choice for Wizard Bunkers, because of less points per model, improved mobility, and -1 to Hit for Shooting.
- Make sure to take a musician on the DGK. 10 points for Swift reform, victory or defeat in case of a tie, and +1 to rally is an absolute bargain.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)