home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305690 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: 40K
« Reply #1300 on: July 15, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »
On another matter, I am confused by razorbacks: a transport that you can only fit six people in. What good is that?

It can carry a heavy weapon, which is nice for some styles of play (notably MSU). You trade transport capacity for firepower (and points).

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1301 on: July 16, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »
I realise that. But I can't see what I'm going to do with six guys, unless it's a purgation squad and I want to drive four incinerators up close to someone. But if it moves quickly, it can't fire the gun.

And the lascannon is really expensive, but it's the only one that gives me something I can't have anyway.

Still, the kit is better value for money than a rhino, since you get a complete rhino plus the gun turret for the same price as just the rhino...
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1302 on: July 16, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »
It's not my style either, but you can get 6 cheap henchmen squads with Coteaz and have lots of Troop choices with decent firepower and a tank each. But yeah, I prefer Rhinos with bigger squads as well.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1303 on: July 16, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
Henchmen can have chimeras though, and as far as I can tell chimeras are better than razorbacks.

I don't want more than two or three vehicles anyway.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1304 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
I did a trooper with grey armour, one with grey armour and shoulders, and one with grey armour, pads and hat. I think I prefer "all grey".

So time to repaint the lot do you think?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1305 on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
I like the all grey one.

But the different colours could be for different squads maybe? Depending on how many you've painted already.
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1306 on: July 16, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »
I like the all grey one best of all too, and it makes the most sense as well. Green for cloth, grey for armor.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1307 on: July 16, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
Skip the lining on the top of the helmet!
My hood is my castle...

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1308 on: July 16, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
Looking good Finlay!   :-D

Regarding Razorbacks, there are a few uses in normal marine lists that I can think of.  I doubt GK will ever have enough spare points to field them  :-D

You buy them as a dedicated transport, so they don't eat up heavy support slots.  If you have the old school twin-plasma and a lascannon varient, thats very powerful, as is the twin lascannon you can make from the box.  They can be substitute predators [kind of].

The key IMO is to forget they are transports for the most part, just use them as fire support, although smaller squads, like sternguard or command squads can make a fair amount of use with them ferrying the guys around.  This also applies if you have split a ten man unit into two 5 man squads, as you can leave your heavy weapon half to give covering fire for the special weapon/sergent half in the Razorback.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1309 on: July 16, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
I like the all grey one.

But the different colours could be for different squads maybe? Depending on how many you've painted already.
Only 20 guys, plus the commander and autocannon team. Don't think it'll take TOO long.

Skip the lining on the top of the helmet!
ok.

Aldaris and Crimson, thanks.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1310 on: July 16, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
Quote from: Crimsonsphinx
Regarding Razorbacks, there are a few uses in normal marine lists that I can think of.  I doubt GK will ever have enough spare points to field them

That's true. I quite want one though!

Maybe have it show up with no one in it, and just teleport the grey knights in.

Don't think it'll take TOO long.

Do it then, because they look better grey!

I like how you always photograph your miniatures against a really distracting background...
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1311 on: July 16, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
When I've sorted out all the models I will take proper pictures of them.

Still need to figure out what to do with the tanks though!

Do you think it's ok to just have regular guardsmen in my Company Command Squad? Or should I make some of the veterans with extra kit and pig iron heads or something?

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1312 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »
Do it then, because they look better grey!

I like how you always photograph your miniatures against a really distracting background...
Camoflage, I'm sure.

Imagine being an Ork trying to pick those guys out against that background.  Although it does give them an excuse for being BS2

- - -

Finlay ... I like the green and the grey, and the idea of keeping the squads separate that way.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1313 on: July 18, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
You can use normal guardsmen in your command squad Finlay, but I use Outrider helmets for mine, makes them stand out a bit.  The only issue I have with this is that if I decide to switch them around a bit, I often have a mismatched unit, which looks stupid!

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1314 on: July 18, 2011, 10:40:03 AM »
Since they are veterans by default (a command squad can't have anything else) there's no reason to make them look different unless you want to.

Though I think there's no reason to make veteran squads look different to non-veterans either. Unless you want to.

Quote from: Crimsonsphinx
if I decide to switch them around a bit, I often have a mismatched unit, which looks stupid!

The imperial guard army book seems to suggest that mismatched units are extremely common - it says casualties are replaced with anyone available, regardless of where they are from or what uniform they wear.

By the way, I agree with whoever it was that said the grey knights army book has ludicrous fluff. It really does.
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1315 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:48 AM »

By the way, I agree with whoever it was that said the grey knights army book has ludicrous fluff. It really does.

I hate to say it, but the blame lies with the Author.  I am sure we all know who that is.  He made a hash of the Blood Angels fluff as well [best buddies with Necrons?  Hello, have you ever read 40k background you didn't write/butcher]

I started off using alternative heads on my vets, borrowing from my supplies of free company, bretonians, chaos marauders, empire soldiers etc.  However I actually think just taking 3 special weapons is enough to make them vets, since normal units can't have that many anyway.

I am tempted to buy some of the metal guardsmen ranges to compliment my army.  Due to either an oversight or plain idiocy, the old school metals are pretty much the same price as the current plastics.  Doh!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1316 on: July 18, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
it's hilarious! £2.50 more for the old metals.

Apart from one squad which for some reason is £25.

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #1317 on: July 18, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
The writing itself is really low quality. You can always tell Ward is writing something if you see "Such...", "So it was/is" and similar lame arse attempts to write what he thinks is an epic style multiple times a page.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1318 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
I hate to say it, but the blame lies with the Author.  I am sure we all know who that is.  He made a hash of the Blood Angels fluff as well [best buddies with Necrons?  Hello, have you ever read 40k background you didn't write/butcher
Wondering why anyone, yes, that's correct, anyone at GW allows such garbage to be placed in an army book.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1319 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »
My thoughts on that GamesPoet are as follows.  Either;

a.  No one proof reads the codex book and these idiocies are in print before anyone can do anything about it, so they have to go along with it.
b.  They market the game to new gamers who don't know/care about the old fluff and are doing all they can to big it all up so people spend their hard earned cash on the new army.
c.  They hate us older gamer and want to upset us deliberately.
c.  Some combination of the three above.

What I suppose is ironic is that many of us older gamers complain when they recycle fluff from edition to edition!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1320 on: July 18, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »
b.  They market the game to new gamers who don't know/care about the old fluff

I don't really know or care about old fluff, and I still thought the grey knight stuff was bad. And badly written, as Sig said.

But I like the general idea and theme of the grey knights and the inquisition. I don't care about the details. So it's fine!

Quote from: Finlay
Apart from one squad which for some reason is £25

Yes, I'm confused by that.

I'm just hoping they don't suddenly raise the prices on metal guardsmen, or replace them with resin or something!

Not that you can't find loads of them on ebay anyway though.
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1321 on: July 18, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
I'm just hoping they don't suddenly raise the prices on metal guardsmen, or replace them with resin or something!

Not that you can't find loads of them on ebay anyway though.

Then they might go the way of Praetorian prices - the Mordians and Tallarns and Valhallans still fetch reasonable prices on ebay, and if you buy new, the special weapons are highly priced - the metal Cadians don't seem so popular and come cheaper.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1322 on: July 18, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
You don't have any you want to sell do you?

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1323 on: July 18, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
My thoughts on that GamesPoet are as follows.  Either;

a.  No one proof reads the codex book and these idiocies are in print before anyone can do anything about it, so they have to go along with it.
b.  They market the game to new gamers who don't know/care about the old fluff and are doing all they can to big it all up so people spend their hard earned cash on the new army.
c.  They hate us older gamer and want to upset us deliberately.
c.  Some combination of the three above.

What I suppose is ironic is that many of us older gamers complain when they recycle fluff from edition to edition!
Proof reading doesn't mean its being read for content.  Newgamers might not know the old fluff, but they aren't likely to initally care, and evidently the powers that be at GW dont' seme to care either.  I seriously doubt they hate old gamers because we spend money, too.

As I think about this more, its probably just one writer putting together what he thinks is good, putting his own stamp on things so to speak, and doing a bad job.  Probably whoever he reports to isn't paying that much attention to the fluff side of things, since the real money makers are the figures, rules, and supporting materials, not the fluff.  However, if someone is actually monitoring the fluff, they need to do a better job as well.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #1324 on: July 18, 2011, 09:46:57 PM »
The guy who wrote Imperial Armour 9&10 is actually much better. I think he's writing the Warhammer Forge book as well. It's not award winning literature but far more readable and quite enjoyable.