home

Author Topic: Mantic human army list is out  (Read 22323 times)

Offline Death

• Members
Re: Mantic human army list is out
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:56 PM »
Zombies:

I call them mummies. Now that the list has a mummy unit, they are still called mummies, but used as zombies. The actual mummy unit will be formal mummification, as opposed to these naturally mummified slave workers. (sorry, speaking with my army background in my head.
the self proclaimed forum handyman.

"Morr calls, will you answer?"

W/D/L
 0 0 0

http://s6.invisionfree.com/old_world_online/

a new forum for fantasy players worldwide, check it out!

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 04:44:59 AM »
Viewing the Zombies at the Mantic website has left me more curious than satiated. I will have to endeavour to get some so I can have a 'proper look at them.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 08:24:02 AM »
Mantic has good looking figs, but too little variation for my tastes.

And personal attacks are not appreciated on this forum.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
Their undead stuff, for the most part, is superb, generic undead.

The rest of their stuff leaves me cold.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Pretty much my notion concerning the troops.

Some of the characters are pretty good though. I have their Dark Elf sorceress, and she's great. Actually much better than this picture shows:

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Twilight-Kin/Product/Twilight-Kin-Sorceress-Blister.html

What they somewhat suck at is presenting their models. :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
I think the undead and the abyssal dwarves are not half bad....and I might try the system at some point in the near future. Expand your horizon.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
That Twilight Kin (Dark Elf) Soceress looks like it isn't even related to their regular Elves as their proportions are totally different. I'm guessing they aren't as closely related as GW's are.

If I didn't already have more miniatures than I need, I'd probably be tempted to get either their Undead, Dwarves, or Abyssal Dwarf armies. I like the look of them all.  Now that they are releasing their human list, I may have to give the rules a try.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
Will be interesting to see what comes up. Sofar I have only found their undead to be sweet looking, and some of the orcsies looks fair enough.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

What they somewhat suck at is presenting their models. :icon_rolleyes:

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the Mantic website.
I couldn't get a close enough view of the models and the photography quality seems to be a fair bit behind the likes of Crocodile games for example.
I like a lot of the miniatures and the game looks interesting but the website and the miniature photography could do with being upscaled on the quality front.
A key element for any company in this sphere is delivering quality eye candy to prospective punters.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
This is one thing I really don't understand. How hard could it possibly be for a company to snap a couple of proper photos of their units and upload them? I can't imagine people buying something whose sole value lies in its aesthetic quality, without knowing what it looks like. So many miniature companies fail at this.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:29 AM »
To be fair Mantic have taken nice photographs of the models, as units.
What I meant by upscaling their photography was that I wanted to see more real close up shots of the miniatures.
What I wanted to see from mantic is what you get at Crocodile Games where you can see the individual miniatures in all their glory against a neutral gradiated background.
However Croc games are selling metals designed to stand up as individual miniatures, whereas Mantic are selling plastics designed to stand up as units. I will take a look at the models in person at the next convention I get along to, especially the zombies and ghouls after that thumbs up from D Whitey.
I've already seen the Chaos Dwarves and I like them and I saw the new Orcs as they were being released and I really liked the more sinister LotR approach to the look of the orcs.
I don't do Elves, I have my G-dubya Elves from 4 editions and once they are gone they will not be replaced.
Interested in seeing the Mantic humans though because their options look great for an Armies of Arcana Human Empire list.
I will want to see the models up close though before making any decisions.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
Horribly I am forced to agree with JustNorth on something.  :icon_wink:

I have a deepseated love for Crocodile Games' models. If only they had better business sense, or held to a decent schedule their game might not have entered the twilight zone.  :icon_cry:

I miss playing it.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
To be fair, they have improved already when it comes to presentation. Massively!

It's just that GW is still so much better at it, especially since they now seem to allow their ace painters to show what they can do.

I've already seen the Chaos Dwarves and I like them and I saw the new Orcs as they were being released and I really liked the more sinister LotR approach to the look of the orcs.

Strangely, I don't like their CD at all... Kool Aid and poison and all that, of course.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
are there any pics of the humans yet?

I want to avoid saying "mantic sucks" until I've at least seen the humans.

So I'll stick with "everything from mantic so far sucks"
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
are there any pics of the humans yet?

I want to avoid saying "mantic sucks" until I've at least seen the humans.

So I'll stick with "everything from mantic so far sucks"

apart from the undead... who rattle...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
What a rotten sense of humour you have!

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
To be fair, they have improved already when it comes to presentation. Massively!

:icon_eek:

I've been reading more promising reports about their game system this week from experienced multi system players.
None of them are sayinmg that it plays like WFB.
Some like the turn timer, some don't.
I daresay it's a winner for tourney play.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
Other games systems might be good games, rules wise. But none of those will ever be as great as Warhammer or 40K to me. Those fictional universes appeal to me like few others do and have so for many years. This is one of the main reasons I play those games. Background stuff from games like Warmachine and others mostly make me go "yeah, whatever". Warhammer isn't numero uno because of its rules, it is because it is simply the MAN.

It's fine to have alternatives. But I'll never get into those as much, and I guess that's the case for many others as well. Just personal preference.

And I have yet to see another miniatures manufacturer I like more, generally speaking. Some single models excepted of course.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
Thank you... fan bois alert *    :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah GW does some stuff very well indeed, it also does some stuff rather poorly but this is a matter of taste.
Mantic doesn't have a class writer like Bill King writing easy reading background for them, but then it doesn't have a total load of rubbish coming out from Gav Thorpe et al either.
I don't know the Mantic background at all, (do they have any?) but then I don't care about that stuff, I don't need that from a miniature manufacturer. I make my own background where applicable and get my background from a wide variety of authors, I don't like mine spoon fed to me in a format aimed at 12-15 year olds. But hey others do and thats cool too.

GW have made very little of their own fluff, it was almost entirely plagiarised from other well known authors, whether in fantasy or 40K.
I don't have a problem with that at all  it just makes me laugh when people think that GW came up with 'all' the ideas and fluff on their own.
Where GW have been smart is too copyright a lot of words and concepts to stop others from using them.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Thank you... fan bois alert *    :icon_rolleyes:

I'm very sorry for stating my personal like of and preference for GW products on a Wahrhammer forum. How fanboiish of me!

I don't have a problem with that at all  it just makes me laugh when people think that GW came up with 'all' the ideas and fluff on their own.

Do I think that?
But your general hostility in this thread is somewhat strange, and a bit amusing really. Why so angry?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
GW have made very little of their own fluff, it was almost entirely plagiarised from other well known authors, whether in fantasy or 40K.

Authors like Tolkien who came up with everything on their own?

Offline Death

• Members
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Other games systems might be good games, rules wise. But none of those will ever be as great as Warhammer or 40K to me. Those fictional universes appeal to me like few others do and have so for many years.

So what your saying is, the BACKGROUND will never be as good as warhammer or 40k to you?

I can agree with that as an opinion.

As far as the rules go, KoW at least is much easier to play and tactically more flexible than WFB
the self proclaimed forum handyman.

"Morr calls, will you answer?"

W/D/L
 0 0 0

http://s6.invisionfree.com/old_world_online/

a new forum for fantasy players worldwide, check it out!

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »

Authors like Tolkien who came up with everything on their own?

Tolkien came up with everything on his own????

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
So what your saying is, the BACKGROUND will never be as good as warhammer or 40k to you?

That is part of it. I'm simply having more fun in those games, and the background is definitely a big part of that.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
Tolkien came up with everything on his own????

No. In fact, he copied heavily from Germanic/Norse mythology. Which is kind of my point.