home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305686 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: 40K
« Reply #2325 on: October 13, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
and on an unrelated note does playing 40k make you more sulky than Fantasy (I remember I sulked too when Aldaris wiped the floor with my guard).

You sulked?

I honestly didn't notice. You're appear to be a very cheerful sulker.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2326 on: October 13, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
How would you know....have you bought the Codex?  :engel:

and on an unrelated note does playing 40k make you more sulky than Fantasy (I remember I sulked too when Aldaris wiped the floor with my guard).
yes. 40k makes me very sulky, and in fantasy I am almost never sulky (although I am very defeatist-y).
I was sulky when we played in Woking, and I was sulky the game after I had won in nottingham.

Shouting "waaaagh grishank" as I try to IF my vortex makes fantasy fun.

Me and rufus were wondering if it was because in fantasy you at least have turns 1-3 of moving up the battle line for the fight to be decided.
Whereas in our games either I blast enough in turn 1 to win, or I don' and I get slaughtered. which is probably partially not having enough transports, and partially my noobiness.

so I am now thinking of getting some dark eldar or blood angels. (and buying 2 more chimeras to round out my IG for now.)

and on an unrelated note does playing 40k make you more sulky than Fantasy

It does for me!

I hate being fired on for about twenty minutes in turn one, before I get to do anything. To the extent that I'd rather put everything in reserve and not show up until late in the game.
even if my shooting doesn't kill anything!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2327 on: October 13, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »
Whereas in our games either I blast enough in turn 1 to win, or I don' and I get slaughtered.

Bu-huuulshit.
Bullshit. Bull, bull, bull.

Bull.

You never finished a game... how do you know how the games would have even ended?
Say after me:

40K is not about losses.
40K is about missions.

I'm gonna pound that defeatist crap out of ya yet!
 :::cheers:::

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2328 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
When I sulk I only grin and drink beer 80 % of the time.

Well if your whole army is dead it is quiet hard to achieve the mission objective ....I felt I killed stuff of you too but didnīt manage to kill your vehicles who in return...killed me.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2329 on: October 13, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
Well if your whole army is dead it is quiet hard to achieve the mission objective ....

Stop interfering with my attempts at Finlay education.
 :-D

It's also about prioritizing and eliminating threats. Killing a taxi and half the Berzerkers inside is nice, but 4 leftover Berzerkers are still plenty to beat up one hell of a lot of Guardsmen.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2330 on: October 13, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
we only havent finished two games, one rufus conceded after 4 turns with almost nothing left, and one I stopped after 2-3 turns.

My list doesnt have enough flexibility for multi objective grabbing.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2331 on: October 13, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
Well if your whole army is dead it is quiet hard to achieve the mission objective ....

Stop interfering with my attempts at Finlay education.

It's also about prioritizing and eliminating threats. Killing a taxi and half the Berzerkers inside is nice, but 4 leftover Berzerkers are still plenty to beat up one hell of a lot of Guardsmen.
which is also what happens when you fight grey knights.
Oh, you've killed all the squad except for one guy with an incinerator. Who is now going to kill an entire squad on his own.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2332 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »
Well I tried to kill the remaining 4 Berserkers too....well and that big spidery Mech thingy in German called Geisel, but failed due to bad rolls.

That said I think that there are loads of tactical options to reduce the I shoot you you shoot me thingy, more terrain comes to mind AND making use of those fog grenades every vehicle has...or going down into the dirt with troops once in a while.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2333 on: October 13, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »
which is also what happens when you fight grey knights.
Oh, you've killed all the squad except for one guy with an incinerator. Who is now going to kill an entire squad on his own.

Bah, a basic grey knight has two attacks on the charge, and the powerweapon isn't all that useful against Guardsmen.

And if you space your units properly that flamer will still hurt, but it certainly won't kill 10 dudes in one go.

@Fandir: the big Spider thingy is called Defiler in English.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2334 on: October 13, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
Well, three Landraiders are a bitch to deal with for pretty much any army... The downside is that those 6 vehicles are a good deal more than half your points in a 2000 points army, and the prevalence of melta weapons in todays metagame could mean you're in for a rough time.

Interesting approach though! Something radically different, which I like.

That is a 2500 point list when you add a laser cannon razor back with a tactical squad.

I dont have much trouble with meltas. Regular meltas in squads need to get so close it wont happen. Multi meltas can rarely get within 12". The annihilators blast away for the first two turns while I sit at 24" and multi melta and assault canon the enemy Anything in transport gets popped. I can also assault anything within 18" that is a threat to the fire base. Its a pretty conservative list forces a lot of sacrifice to get into melta range.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2335 on: October 13, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
You never finished a game

Yes we did.

Being patronizing is not helpful!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2336 on: October 13, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
Yes we did.

I'm sorry, I must have overlooked that in all the "turn 3 - end" stuff.

Being patronizing is not helpful!

No, but it's fun! I'm twirling my mustache and everything.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2337 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:55 PM »
Harlequins look pretty damn sweet too. Only issue I see with them is the lack of dedicated transport options, but then, I don't play Eldar. Do you run 'em on foot and rely on Veil of Tears and cover to keep 'em alive or do you buy a separate transport for them to use?

I've tried on foot with VoTs once, and it was terrifying watching the Grey Knight player roll the dice, praying for anything below 8 when I was 15 inches away. It saved them, but I didn't like it.

I've tried them in a Falcon once, and they felt invincible until they got out. 5+ invulnerable is nice, but not when you can't get Fortune off because he has a Librarian. Then I just have to rely on my insane ability to always roll 5+ when the only successful result is 5+. Which to be fair worked this game. Just as planned. Charged by the Dreadnaught with the talons that let it get extra attacks? Nope, all 5+ saves made. Harlequins hit and run and go kill the Death Company instead.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2338 on: October 13, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
In other words, you were a lucky bastard and it somehow turned out OK?

That's awesome!
 :::cheers:::

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2339 on: October 13, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
I've had people declare any dice I use as loaded/banned from club.

They've now cotton'd on to the fact the dice aren't loaded. I just have hilariously good rolling streaks/I'm Tzeentch, and now the club rule is all my 6s are 1s, and my 1s are 6s.

And twice now I've had Harlequins decide a unit/codex is bad and wipe it out by themselves.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2340 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
Perhaps someday the luck will change and they'll wish they hadn't. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #2341 on: October 13, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
Command  Chimera 110

Storm Trooper Squad +5 men Melta x 2 185

Veteran Squad Plasma Gun x 2  Grenadiers Chimera 190

Sentinel Plasma Cannon 75

Sentinel Autocannon 60

Is this a semi competant list for near 1000 points? I've lost some guardsmen arms so I might have to change somethings...
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2342 on: October 14, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »
the amount of silly internet vernacular for 40k is amusing.
Is it the same as fantasy? seems to be a lote more prevalent.

Also, are fantasy forums/blogs as whiny as 40k ones? Probably, with 7th edition demons!

Finally, can psycannons in "assault" mode fir rending shots? a blog I just read seemed to imply they only rent when fired in "heavy" mode.

Pass the machete.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2343 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »
Are space Marine bike squads effective in 40K?  What if I want an army full of em?  A Biker Army....

-Grutch

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #2344 on: October 14, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »
Bike Squads can actually be really good. I have one at the moment and want to expand it. If you take a Captain on a bike, bike squads 5 models and over count as Troops, so you can take a bike army if you want. Bike squads get two special weapons even on squads of 3, so you can pack a lot of really fast anti tank, and the attack bike addon is great.

They're fast, they're tough and they can get great cover saves even in the open (3+) from turbo boosting. A unit without a fist is going to get tarpitted by them, I love them.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2345 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »
Are space Marine bike squads effective in 40K?  What if I want an army full of em?  A Biker Army....

-Grutch

You can do a biker army, the White Scars chapter is one according to the fluff.
I'd mix in some none-bike support, but it is possible (and not even bad, from what I've heard. An opinion Sig obviously shares!).

Is it the same as fantasy? seems to be a lote more prevalent.

Yes, there is a lot of silly internet vernacular. 40K has a much larger competitive scene than Fantasy, perhaps that's the origin.

Also, are fantasy forums/blogs as whiny as 40k ones? Probably, with 7th edition demons!

Have you ever been to the Electors Forum...?
 :engel:

Finally, can psycannons in "assault" mode fir rending shots? a blog I just read seemed to imply they only rent when fired in "heavy" mode.

They rend in both modes. Only difference is number of shots fired.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:34:20 AM by Aldaris »

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #2346 on: October 14, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
Command  Chimera 110

Storm Trooper Squad +5 men Melta x 2 185

Sentinel Plasma Cannon 75

Sentinel Autocannon 60

Is this a semi competant list for near 1000 points? I've lost some guardsmen arms so I might have to change somethings...

Stormtroopers are a waste of points, in my opinion. They are too expensive for what they do. Also they should get a transport, if you are bringing them.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2347 on: October 14, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »

Actually, I hate that. Talk properly, internet, or don't talk at all!

Quote from: Finlay

Ha ha, you wish they didn't rend all the time!

That's exactly the kind of thing you see on the internet about 40K rules all the time: attempting to twist the rules by interpreting them with a poor grasp of grammar.

Reading anything about 'competitive' 40K will melt your brain.

Quote from: Mogsam
Is this a semi competant list for near 1000 points?

It seems rude to only take two special weapons per veteran squad when you are allowed three!

You may as well only take five stormtroopers with two meltas: the extra five guys won't do much for you.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2348 on: October 14, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
we only havent finished two games, one rufus conceded after 4 turns with almost nothing left, and one I stopped after 2-3 turns.

My list doesnt have enough flexibility for multi objective grabbing.

This is what you need to fix Finlay.  As you have a 2/3rd chance of objectives, it is best to build your army to do objectives rather than KPs.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2349 on: October 14, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
Reading anything about 'competitive' 40K will melt your brain.

It seems rude to only take two special weapons per veteran squad when you are allowed three!

:engel:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:12:35 AM by MrDWhitey »