home

Author Topic: Necromunda - Photos! And some thoughts on small adaptations  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Necromunda - Photos! And some thoughts on small adaptations
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
I feel like I've asked this before in the past, but did anyone know the main changes in necromunda from the original to the living rulebook.

And I see there are some community edited ones too. How do they compare?

Any opinions on what the best rules are? I love the original rules but I did feel like a few of the weapons would benefit from some reigning in, mainly swords really...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:59:39 PM by Siberius »
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Necromunda -mod!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:55:33 AM »
Any chance a mod can move this to counts tavern? I realise it might get more look in from people like me who don't do 40k...!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Necromunda
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 02:59:10 PM »
Well, I've been playing a few games lately to get back in the swing. Here's some pics...

Also, I'm thinking about using original rules with just some adaptations.

I like super strength weapons taking people out more easily so I think I'll use that newer rule. Makes sense.
I'm thinking of limiting parry weapons for each gang as they just tend to get silly. Maybe 3 swords and 1 chainsword max.
I keep going back and forth on maybe making it harder to die too. Like 11-13 die, maybe, 14-16 multiple injuries. It's just so harsh as it is right now...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Necromunda - Photos! And some thoughts on small adaptations
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
I havn't played before, but I just wanted to say that board looks awesome. Perfect for a kill team or necromunda game.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
Ssh, don't say kill teams. I'm trying to wean the locals from that to necromunda.  :-P

But yes, the terrain in the first few pics is at the local game store and there is loads of it which is excellent for necromunda!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Ssh, don't say kill teams. I'm trying to wean the locals from that to necromunda.  :-P

But yes, the terrain in the first few pics is at the local game store and there is loads of it which is excellent for necromunda!

I'm playing a lot of KT's as of late but seek to convert to Necromunda. I'm really interested in the terrain. Where did you get it and was it cheap? Expensive? Hard to get/build? I have 14-piece gaming terrain which I could easily use for Apocalypse, but almost no buildings. :dry:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
Good luck in your quest.  If you try to convert me to another game I will be mildly tiffed and then fascinated and energetic in very small bursts. 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:35 AM »
Just noticed the last two replies.

Xath, most of our games have been down at the game store where they have a tonne of 40k ruined building stuff which is perfect. The other terrain we have used is original necromunda stuff that came with the game and is kinda expensive now.

That said, one of the great things about terrain for this game is it can be made from almost anything and benefits from being haphazard. I'm strongly considering making more for home use primarily from food containers, sheets of foam board and other trash! Some dodgy spray jobs would complete the paint job!

Wiss, I do think you'd heavily dig necromunda even with an initial scepticism. It is so characterful I think you'd accidentally fall in love. Be careful!

Has anyone tried the community edition rules? I've been reading through them and though initially very stuck in my original edition ways, I have to admit they fix a lot of stuff and add some cool ideas! Thinking to convert...

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:20:03 AM »
I've not played many games with anything but the original rules. It's a great game, it's just kind of a pain to switch the table from Mordheim to Necromunda when the difference isn't all that huge. Plus I have tons of spare Mordheim warbands for newbies to use, can't say that for Necromunda at all (and good cheap alternative models are harder to find for that than they are for mordheim, so it would be tough putting very many together).

The living rulebook edition does fix some issues, so that's what we use now. As to the community stuff I haven't tried any of it. But I'm guessing it's like with Mordheim, some of it is amazing and some of it is Blood Dragons.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »
Just noticed the last two replies.

Xath, most of our games have been down at the game store where they have a tonne of 40k ruined building stuff which is perfect. The other terrain we have used is original necromunda stuff that came with the game and is kinda expensive now.

That said, one of the great things about terrain for this game is it can be made from almost anything and benefits from being haphazard. I'm strongly considering making more for home use primarily from food containers, sheets of foam board and other trash! Some dodgy spray jobs would complete the paint job!

Wiss, I do think you'd heavily dig necromunda even with an initial scepticism. It is so characterful I think you'd accidentally fall in love. Be careful!

Has anyone tried the community edition rules? I've been reading through them and though initially very stuck in my original edition ways, I have to admit they fix a lot of stuff and add some cool ideas! Thinking to convert...

Late I know, but still... Thanks for the info. I'm also in the process of making my own dessert (hehehe) buildings from Tuppaware boxes and some bits. We'll see how well that will turn out. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 11:52:48 PM »

I've come to the realization that right now, if it's not prepackaged and self contained like a board game then it's just not something to even get in to now, or even worry or contemplate.  Though, we did get a little train table for Kaleb and with some of the terrain for his trains it would make a pretty good Mordheim/Necromunda board.

not together.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
Hehe, I think it certainly would take a bit of effort. I'm actually really enjoying jumping into the terrain making aspect. With Necromunda even more so than say Mordheim almost anything can be put to use. I'll probably put some up here as I go. I think we are about to draw our fourth person in to the campaign we finally have going. With my brother and I both having two gangs that would put us up to about 6 gangs.

Here's a couple of pics from games so far.

An attempted rescue of one of my goliath juves. Alas I freed him and he made it to the walkway but was shot down and Cawdor reserves were pouring on to the board so I bottled it!

My brother's Cawdor gang has been performing much better than in previous years. Ie, most of them are still alive!

This Cawdor ganger single handedly took out three Escher in hand to hand combat after using his newly aquired grav chute to ambush them! He is now nicknamed the Angel of Death...

A shootout between Goliaths and Orlocks ends badly for the Orlocks who were numerically at a huge disadvantage. Helps when your ganger has a flame pistol too...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 03:12:19 AM »
Necromunda terrain is fun.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 03:30:03 AM »
I'm giving Infinity a go to get my sci-fi skirmish fix. Terrain needs are about the same as Necromunda, maybe slightly higher. The style is clean near-future though, no gothic skulls in sight.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
Every time we play at the store warlord people can't help but look in due to the ridiculous amount of terrain!

I'd certainly consider infinity at some point but the need to get a whole new gang of miniatures and learn a whole new set of rules has held me back so far.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »
No skulls?  Everything suddenly feels wrong...

not together.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
Every time we play at the store warlord people can't help but look in due to the ridiculous amount of terrain!

I'd certainly consider infinity at some point but the need to get a whole new gang of miniatures and learn a whole new set of rules has held me back so far.

It's very cheap to get into minis wise, but the rules are tough to learn for sure. Easily the hardest thing. Best bit is the balance is good and just picking minis you like doesn't completely gimp you.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 04:57:10 PM »
I probably will cave and give it a try once my necromunda frenzy has calmed down. There are some cool minis for sure.

I've been amazingly pleasantly surprised by how sensible the rules tweaks have been in the community edition of Necromunda. Almost every little thing that seemed unclear or unbalanced has been addressed whilst leaving the game feeling just the same.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »
Am I spotting some Hasslefree minis there, Mr. MinotaurCat?

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 11:57:24 PM »
It's highly possible! Our Escher player's gang is sourced from a number of sites. When he has it fully painted I'll take some proper pics and post them up cos they're some pretty cool minis

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »
That terrain... Man it looks like you guys have a lot of fun with the game. I'm loving those pics. :)

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »
I always wished I'd gotten into Necromunda.
Glad you're having fun with it!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
I always wished I'd gotten into Necromunda.
Glad you're having fun with it!

I agree, I have the rulebook somewhere but never got into it.

Now I'm starting Deadzone instead, cleaner and faster system that is still supported...

Necromunda might still come one day, I have enough scenery for it, but I guess Id play Infinity earlier as these is quite a decent group here in my area.
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:58 AM »
Yeah those other games look fun. I just totally love the feel, fluff and character of necromunda. I love the fact that everything I see I feel I can make some funky terrain from.

Hoping to lure a fourth gamer into our campaign on Thursday, fingers crossed.

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »
That's a great board! Thinking about any of the more special gangs (Ratskins come to mind)
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!