home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305482 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: 40K
« Reply #1400 on: July 24, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
I might not need a vindicare if I could get an autocannon dreadnought! But GW make four plastic space marine dreadnoughts without a single autocannon between them. And forgeworld arms are absurdly expensive.

Anyway the vindicare is an awesome model. Easily the best-looking assassin.

Quote from: Crimsonsphinx
Purifiers? Are they the unit with the shoot through walls psychic power?

No, they are the fearless Ld9 ones with two attacks, cheap halberds, and a psychic power than wounds every single model in combat with them on a 4+. They cost only 20 or so more points than a basic squad, but are elites.

Amazing.

I would save points and not get hotshot lasguns.  You would be better having 5 decent guns [plasma or melta ideally] per henchman squad which can shoot out the hatch, and if you really want to include others, give them very basic gear, or alternatively take 5 crusaders/henchmen with carpace armour to throw spare wounds on.

Well, I can only get three special weapons per squad... and then it's either bolters, storm bolters or hot-shot lasguns for the rest. I'd use bolters, but all the models I have are armed with lasguns. So hotshots it is I'm afraid!

I want most of my henchmen squads to look like imperial guard units. Because it's cool, and because I want to use them in a guard army as well.

I've somehow ended up with no terminators, even though they are one of the things I wanted most! Oh well.

Tallarn test models.

They look awesome! Keep the blue: the blue is great.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1401 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
Hi rufus,

You could just use spacemarine models as power armoured henchmen with bolters :) 
Our GK player doesn't use Purifiers then.  He prefers the ones who shoot through walls, and then terminators.  Lots of terminators.

Forge world dreads aren't that bad for money are they?  I bought three, and the last one was only in the last few months, it was around the same price as a normal GW one.  You can buy both rifleman arms from forgeworld, or if you have imperial guard heavy weapons teams, you can kitbash them from the spare plastic autocannons.

See here:  http://www.40korigins.com/40KOrigins/post/2009/08/23/Rifleman-Dreadnought.aspx
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:53:53 AM by Crimsonsphinx »
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1402 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
You could just use spacemarine models as power armoured henchmen with bolters :) 

Yes, but 15 points each! Not worth it!

Anyway, I don't like normal space marines, unless they have the beak helmets. The standard grinning teeth helmets upset me.

Purifiers look amazing to me, as a person who doesn't really understand 40K yet.

A forgeworld dreadnought might come to the same price as a new GW one... but I wouldn't buy a new GW one, because they are overpriced. I'd buy a cheap one from ebay. But there are no cheap autocannon dreadnoughts on ebay of course!

I suppose a kitbash would be the best way to do it, but it seems like too much hassle. Also autocannon dreadnoughts are clearly cheating anyway! They are too cheap, pointswise.

Thanks for the ideas though!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1403 on: July 25, 2011, 07:15:54 AM »
I am all for the beakies as well Rufus!  It is just a shame the chaos sprues don't seem to have mark vi armour on them, so I have to make do with the handful I have been able to scrounge up.

To be fair, 90% of the GW range is what I would call beyond my price range.  I mostly buy things I like the look of these days, I cant afford a new army [despite the fact I have priced up a nid army 3 times this year just incase it is cheaper than I thought]  You know its getting bad when you can look on forge world and the prices are only slightly more than GWs own! 

My remaining purchases this year are to be 2 hydra flak tanks which should be coming out in the summer of fliers. 

Regular autocannon dreadnoughts are not especially effective, but psybolt ones are quite a different matter!  Who wouldn't want four twlinlinked missile launchers?   :-)

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #1404 on: July 25, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
I went to a big apoc game this saturday. 12 players with 2500pts each. Pictures will come soon!
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1405 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »
I might not need a vindicare if I could get an autocannon dreadnought! But GW make four plastic space marine dreadnoughts without a single autocannon between them. And forgeworld arms are absurdly expensive.

I made some out of Missile Launcher arms and spare Autocannons.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1406 on: July 25, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
What should I do to convert my tallarn sergeants to not have plasma pistols? will chopping of their hands and putting laspistols be easy?

Shall I just leave them with plasma pistols? They are going to outflank with al rahem, and form a blob of 2 squads plus a commisar.

This squad is also going to have flamers. What models should I use to convert as flamers- normal Lasguns, chop the end off, add a flamer end and flamer back pack? maybe do that but with melta models instead of las gun?

Veterans!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:15:39 PM by Finlay »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1407 on: July 25, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
I like the veterens Finlay  :)

Regarding plasma pistols, I guess it depends just how much wysiwyg you play in your area.  My group isn't too bothered if I claim it is an ornate laspistol when a model has a plasma pistol.  That said, guard do get them cheaper than marines.  I sometimes give my bs4 guard vet sergents plasma pistols for example.

Don't you have a massive pile of flamers from your guard sprues?  If you bought cadians you should have two per box.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1408 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
But I don't want cadians with flamers in my tallarn squad!

Another scary thing- a failed LD test becomes 20 points of commisar execution if they have plasma and power swords.

Pass the machete.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1409 on: July 25, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »
Surely you can convert your spare cadian flamers onto a tallarn?  Shouldn't be too difficult with a small amount of greenstuff and some skill at cutting away a lasgun.

I always knew there was a reason I don't use commisars!  I take a CCS or occasionally a primaris psyker as my HQs.  LD 9 on the psyker is good for what I need [usually adding to conscripts to boost their LD] plus he can do some serious harm with his lightning arc.

I am tempted to take a commisar lord though, and sit him in the middle of a heavy weapon squad area, so many squads can use his high ld for taking orders.  I don't know that just fielding more big guns might be more effective a use of points though.  This tends to be a general issue I have with guard.  So many times basic infantry are just more effective than expensive upgrades, characters and tanks.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1410 on: July 25, 2011, 08:28:11 PM »
Plasma pistols are well expensive points-wise. I can't imagine they are worth it. I don't think I like plasma guns either.

Melta melta melta! Microwave those tanks!

Quote from: Finston
will chopping of their hands and putting laspistols be easy?

Yes, if you have the laspistols!

What models should I use to convert as flamers- normal Lasguns, chop the end off, add a flamer end and flamer back pack?

Yes, do that. Easy!

Those veterans look good. Where are the funny heads from?

Nice backpacks too.

And I like the dinosaur mug in the background.

Quote from: cannon o' doom
I made some out of Missile Launcher arms and spare Autocannons.

I have neither! But there's no way I could find the points for a dreadnought anyway, so never mind!

Quote from: crimson
Regular autocannon dreadnoughts are not especially effective, but psybolt ones are quite a different matter!  Who wouldn't want four twlinlinked missile launchers? 

And they can ignore shaken and stunned results with their fortitude psychic power!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1411 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »
Plasma and melta are both equally useful and important IMO.  When you play as an army like guard, plasma is desperately needed to shoot up marines and terminators.  You actually don't need as many melta weapons with guard as other armies due to the high availability of high strength weapons on tanks, artillery and vendettas.

When you play as GKs you can kill marines etc much easier due to all your knights having power weapons.  Different priorities for weapons for different armies.

I had to go back and look at the dinosaur mug  :-D

Fortitude is a really decent psychic power, its like daemonic possession without the downsides.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1412 on: July 25, 2011, 09:46:19 PM »
if you kill one space marine, it's made its points back. The squad is meant to be a close assault squad, and I reckon 2 plasma shots and 2 flamer bursts, as well as 20 guardsmen and a commisar, and 3 power weapons, should be able to do some damage.

The funny heads are from Pig Iron. The backpacks were from the giant bag of bits which Shadowlord sent to me.

I'm scared to chop up the Tallarns, they are quite expensive! but I do have lots of las pistol hands.

dinosaur mug from the natural history museum. It's my go to mug.

Pass the machete.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1413 on: July 25, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »
Do not chop up the tallran if you absolutely do not have to. By the way, your vets look badass. :::cheers:::
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1414 on: July 25, 2011, 10:12:27 PM »
I probably should have bought Valhallans, as they have flamer and melta models, and had a Russian "counts as " Al Rahem.

I need Tallarn flamers though, so have to chop them up.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1415 on: July 25, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
Yes, let the Tallarns keep their overheating point sink guns!

I reckon 2 plasma shots and 2 flamer bursts, as well as 20 guardsmen and a commisar, and 3 power weapons, should be able to do some damage.

Where are my psychotroke grenades! Make them fight amongst themselves.

If they are an assault unit, don't you want assault weapons so you can assault after shooting? Like meltaguns instead of plasma...

When you play as GKs you can kill marines etc much easier due to all your knights having power weapons.

Good point!

Also psyker squads with AP1 large templates, assuming they pass their psychic test and then manage to hit (do you really use the scatter dice for blast weapons in 40K? Really?).
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1416 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:01 PM »
pistols you can shoot and then assault, and the squads will have flamers.

toasty.

Pass the machete.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #1417 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
Here's some pictures of the apoc game that I mentioned.
It was awesome.

http://aphael.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/apocalypse-game-24071001/

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1418 on: July 26, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »
Nice pictures!

The table looks a bit crowded though. No room for all those tanks to move about!

Maybe the orbital barrage from the grey knights army book would actually hit something in that game.
If I wanted to.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #1419 on: July 26, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
Well they were the defenders and thus had less room to deploy on, but it worked out for them. The Baneblade doesnt have to move anyway...

There was lots of orbital bombardments and bombs flying all of the place. The coolest was my buddy, using a formation that gave him the "On my coordinates" asset which brings down an orbital bombardment on a guy with a vox :P

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1420 on: July 26, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
using a formation that gave him the "On my coordinates" asset which brings down an orbital bombardment on a guy with a vox :P

Harsh. Poor radio guy.

On another matter: why can't inquisitors get any kind of invulnerable save? They have access to all this amazing wargear, but they can't have so much as a refractor field (every guard commander has one of those!). They can even buy storm shields for their henchmen, but not for themselves!

Fluff/rules failure.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:59:50 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1421 on: July 26, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
Their faith is all the armour they need...the space marine armour is just for the looks.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1422 on: July 26, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
"Gentlemen, intel says there's a smiling blue globe behind us, lets investigate."

"Yep, there sure is."

"Its not moving."

"Yep, seems harmless, lets get back to searching for the enemy."

"Its getting hot, so think I'll take off some of this silly armor first."

"Wait, where'd Fred go?"

"He's just gone!"

"You don't suppose that smiling blue globe had something to do with?"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:11:22 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1423 on: July 26, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
You should make webcomics ....with finlays pictures.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1424 on: July 26, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
That reminds me of the story of the lictor stalking guardsmen in the 2nd ed 'nid codex GamesPoet.

Im suprised Finlay has time to do all this painting on Paternity leave!