home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305504 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: 40K
« Reply #2050 on: September 28, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=10731.msg498647#msg498647

Ha, I didn't even think to look there! And I had even replied to that post. Thanks.

I read somewhere else that it is about a guy who tries to do his best to fight evil, but is gradually corrupted anyway. It sounds fun! Like Anakin Skywalker without the bad acting and embarrassing Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Quote from: Gneisenau
And with a -1 to BS for holding your lasgun sideways, yo.

Definitely.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2051 on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
Well Eisenhorn is more like Vader than like Annnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2052 on: September 28, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
I'm quite tempted to use my Heresy Miniatures 'Dwarf Vader' model as an inquisitor.

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_9_35&products_id=27
If I wanted to.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2053 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
That would be splendid, I think you should give him a squad of squats.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YzN61WBOcSQ/TSIE06qa61I/AAAAAAAAAKs/4-_MTtOiEgU/s1600/Squat-infantry.jpg

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2054 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
if there was, for example, 3 grey knight teleporter dudes from a squad left, one with incinerator, one with psycannon, and one with thunderhammer- who haven't used their 30inch free move- I definitely thinks it's worth getting out to blast them!

Especially if you can disembark in some woods or something.

Also Chimera's don't move a lot faster than infantry, they move between 0 and 5 inches a turn faster.

Because an actual drive-by would be slooooooooooooow, using the 40K rules: move 6", shoot. Next turn drive off 12". Or: move 12", get out, shoot. Next turn get in again, and move 12"

And with a -1 to BS for holding your lasgun sideways, yo.

brap brap brap!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2055 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
if there was, for example, 3 grey knight teleporter dudes from a squad left, one with incinerator, one with psycannon, and one with thunderhammer- who haven't used their 30inch free move- I definitely thinks it's worth getting out to blast them!

Maybe. Or just point your plasma guns at 'em from the hatch if you can get into 12" with your normal 6" move. The thing is: if you don't wipe them out after disembarkng, the single guy with the incinerator is going to maul your vet squad on foot. Let's see how likely you'll wipe them: 6 shots, 4 hits, 3.something wounds. Lasguns: 12 shots, 8 hits, 3 wounds (1 gets through). If they're exposed they're likely dead, but not by a large margin. If they have any kind of cover, one will likely survive. It's a gamble. If you don't kill 'em from the hatch, you're still fine. He first has to open the can before he can get to the meat. If you're already out, you're dead.

In fact, I lost the last game I played with my CSM because I took a gamble and disembarked too early.

Especially if you can disembark in some woods or something.

That won't really help you, as the GK player will just gleefully assault. Who needs shooting to finish off a couple of Guardsmen in the open? Besides, Incinerators don't care about cover.

Also Chimera's don't move a lot faster than infantry, they move between 0 and 5 inches a turn faster.

Which is very significant? With an average run roll they're 11/2 times as fast, with a bad one nearly double. Above all, it is reliable. Hoping for good run rolls is not a good basis for a strategy. Footslogging is viable, sure. But there's no denying the utility of transports.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2056 on: September 28, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
Eisenhorn is ok James, have read the trilogy twice. I have them if you'd like me to send them to you?

There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2057 on: September 28, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
Can space marine tacitcal squads have multi meltas?
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2058 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Yes, they can. Tricky to make good use of those though - in my experience multi meltas work better when mounted on vehicles. Do you have a plan?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2059 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
despite my inability to grasp Chimeras, I'm looking forward to trying out a 1500 pt game next week.
I enjoyed it so far. I like the objectives, they feel a lot more balanced than the watch tower and banner games foe 8th edition fantasy which I don't really like.

I have a feeling it will be more like 7th edition fantasy, where I'd only win games every so often, not 8th edition where I win a lot more due to increased randomness, including game winning super magic.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2060 on: September 28, 2011, 10:31:45 PM »
40k has it's detractors too.

I enjoy it though, and my Eldar aren't even fully mechanised! (Only one Wave Serpent is used)

Thinking of trying a small unit of Harlequins soon, converted from Wyches. Considering they're no longer broken and are seemingly quite balanced now, I think I can get way with it.  :icon_rolleyes:

With Doom up on an enemy unit, it'll be rended unto demise. Especially annoying MCs. Eventually though I plan to stop taking two Farseers (it was hilarious for a while), try out other HQs like the Avatar.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2061 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
@ Finlay: good luck for your game next week, and I hope you continue to enjoy 40k. It's a fantastic game. What list will you be using?

@ MrDWhitey: Bah, detractors. Dumb people are everywhere.
 :wink:

Harlequins, broken? Nah. Besides, don't you like the actual harlequin models? I think those are fantastic, amongst some of the very best sculpts (and paintjobs) GW has ever done.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2062 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
Company command squad, power weapon, missile launcher. 75 pts

Platoon command squad, Autocannon, GL, 45
squad, GL, Autocannon 65
squad, GL, Autocannon 65
squad, GL, Autocannon, 65
squad, flamer 55 pts
squad, flamer 55 pts
Commissar with power weapon 45 pts

Vet squad, Chimera, 3 plasma rifles, missile launcher 185 pts
Vet squad, Chimera, 3 meltas 155 pts

6 rough riders 65
1 scout sentinels with autocannon (not a great choice vs grey knights!) 40pts
Hellhound, multi melta. 145

LRBT 150
LRD 165
Basilisk 125

1500 pts.

3 pie plates which give grey knights no armour save, a little bit of manuverability with the hellhound, 2 chimeras, and scout sentinel deploying as scout, and a small bit of close combat counter punch, if I can keep them hidden.

Company command power weapon is for fluff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:02:09 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2063 on: September 28, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »
@ Finlay: good luck for your game next week, and I hope you continue to enjoy 40k. It's a fantastic game. What list will you be using?

@ MrDWhitey: Bah, detractors. Dumb people are everywhere.
 :wink:

Harlequins, broken? Nah. Besides, don't you like the actual harlequin models? I think those are fantastic, amongst some of the very best sculpts (and paintjobs) GW has ever done.

Harlequins are part of why 4th was taken out back and shot. Nowadays they're not only balanced but perhaps considered "weaker" (though they really aren't).

My group however sometimes has people that claim things that aren't broken are. Only sometimes, it's quite rare, but most of them remember a certain Eldar player that ruined Eldar for everyone (and almost got me to stop playing 40k).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:29:16 PM by MrDWhitey »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2064 on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:16 AM »
My group cries endlessly about Nobz.  I too time to paint them with love and use them with hate.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2065 on: September 29, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
That IG list looks pretty decent Finlay! I assume those two flamer squads will form a blob with the commissar?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2066 on: September 29, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
Eisenhorn is ok James, have read the trilogy twice. I have them if you'd like me to send them to you?

Thanks Adam, that would be fantastic!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2067 on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »
That IG list looks pretty decent Finlay! I assume those two flamer squads will form a blob with the commissar?
Thanks. I didn't like how static the list I chose for 750 points was.

Yep! not sure how useful it will be. Either- last ditch CC to kill small #s of grey knights, or just park them on my home objective?

If I put my company commander in a Chimera, would it effectively increase his order range, measuring from any point of the chimera instead of just his small base? Or would I measure from the hatch?

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2068 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
You measure from the chimera hull for orders. You measure from the hull for everything, apart from shooting.

50-man squad, meet purifiers. Each of them gets a wound on a 4+ at the start of combat...
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2069 on: September 29, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
You measure from the chimera hull for orders. You measure from the hull for everything, apart from shooting.
That's so annoying! super conductor plasma siphons.

rules question: Could a Hellhound fire its flamer out in a way to hit the side angle of a dreadnoughts armour, even if it was in the front arc? or would it count only as front arc.

Fluff statement: we've decided on a bit of fluff for our next game.
The Kaledonian 312th were formed to fight off Dark Eldar piracy in the sector. They've managed to defeat the eldar, and the company commander has retrieved some sort of artifact which he wants to keep to use against any more pirates who turn up.

Jame's xenos inquisitor likes alien technology (hence the converted Tau drone plasma servitors) and is using his inquisitorial powers to declare my Company commander a heretic- even though he actually only cares about getting the artifact for himself.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2070 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
The bastard! Wanting to nick forbidden Xenos tech off a respected... Oh.
 :-D

Concerning the Hellhound question: You only check the arc the shot originated from. So no sneaky sidearmor hitting I'm afraid.

@ rufus: I think (hope?) he only intends to blob up the flamer dudes, not the three AC/GL squads.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2071 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
Dreadnoughts have the same side armour as on the front anyway. 12!

We want the guard commander to use a dark eldar weapon or force field or something. But we don't know what dark eldar have. Any ideas?

I think (hope?) he only intends to blob up the flamer dudes, not the three AC/GL squads.

Oh. I was assuming it would be like one of those mental internet lists with ginormous guard squads that presumably take all day to move.

It would be so funny to burn them all with purifier powers!

Also: psycannons for the purifiers and incinerators for the knights, or the other way around? Purifiers want to get into combat, and blasting a squad with incinerators can mean you end up outside assault range after the flaming stops.

Also also: grey knights strike squad intending to deep strike - two five man squads to get two Ld9 2 attack champions, or one squad of ten for more flexibility?

?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:50:35 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2072 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
I'd gegerally prefer Psycannons over Incinerators in almost any circumstance. Remember you have combat tactics, so you can split up full ten man squads! For example, if you have a 10 man strike squad you could give both Psycannons to one section and keep the Sarge with the Demonhammer in the other. Applies even more to Purifiers.

As to DE wargear - there's the shadowfield. Costs as much as three of Finlays meltas and gives the wearer a 2+ invulnerable save! But only until he fails one. As soon as he fails one it switches off. Fun!

Or the Agonizer. Costs 2 meltas, and is a power weapon that always wounds on 4+.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2073 on: September 29, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
I know psycannons are always better, but I only have two of them. That won't be changing!

I was thinking of two purifier squads of five in rhinos, each with psycannon, hammer and three halberds. Then two five man strike squads with incinerators and one halberd each. The strikers will deepstrike!

I think it's better to do the strikers as two squads, since I won't ever want to deepstrike a ten man squad (impractical!), and if I take two squads I get a free champion.

Maybe the shadowfield would be best for the commander then? He's got his own powersword.

It won't save him from the Vindicare anyway...
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2074 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
Company command squad, power weapon, missile launcher. 75 pts

Platoon command squad, Autocannon, GL, 45
squad, GL, Autocannon 65
squad, GL, Autocannon 65
squad, GL, Autocannon, 65
squad, flamer 55 pts
squad, flamer 55 pts
Commissar with power weapon 45 pts

Vet squad, Chimera, 3 plasma rifles, missile launcher 185 pts
Vet squad, Chimera, 3 meltas 155 pts

6 rough riders 65
1 scout sentinels with autocannon (not a great choice vs grey knights!) 40pts
Hellhound, multi melta. 145

LRBT 150
LRD 165
Basilisk 125

1500 pts.

3 pie plates which give grey knights no armour save, a little bit of manuverability with the hellhound, 2 chimeras, and scout sentinel deploying as scout, and a small bit of close combat counter punch, if I can keep them hidden.

Company command power weapon is for fluff.

This list looks quite decent.  There is really only one thing I don't really understand, which is the missile launcher on the vets who have plasma weapons.  What is its purpose Finlay?  If it is anti tank, a lascannon would be a better buy for the squad, or if its anti marine, you would probably be better taking a plasma pistol on the sergent.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000