home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305477 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: 40K
« Reply #2075 on: September 29, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
I'm having second thoughts about my plasma drones. Yes, they are cheap plasma cannons... but do I even want plasma cannons? Especially when the inquisitor has to sit with them to prevent them going to screensaver mode. And maybe they wouldn't want to shoot at the same things as the space monkeys in the same unit, which will probably be firing their lascannons most of the time. So it would be a whole load of expensive, immobile weapons in a bucket fighting over which target they have to go for.

edit: so what, they are cool.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:40:21 AM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2076 on: September 29, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
You Imperials are all so silly. I think us Eldar should send another Hive Fleet or two knocking.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2077 on: September 29, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
I'm having second thoughts about my plasma drones. Yes, they are cheap plasma cannons... but do I even want plasma cannons? Especially when the inquisitor has to sit with them to prevent them going to screensaver mode. And maybe they wouldn't want to shoot at the same things as the space monkeys in the same unit, which will probably be firing their lascannons most of the time. So it would be a whole load of expensive, immobile weapons in a bucket fighting over which target they have to go for.

That loadout certainly isn't "optimal", but it isn't bad either. Most of the time you'll shoot those lascannons at vehicles, and if it isn't AV14 those plasma cannons can hurt it too. Not their preferred target, sure... but with Multimeltas there's a significant range conflict, and with heavy bolters there's hardly any target synergy. You could go for MMs and spend a turn driving into range while popping smoke I suppose...

I spent quite some time going over possible servitor/space ape combinations as well when the codex came out (10 points servitors seemed too good to leave at home) but never came up with anything that was completely to my liking. Plasma Cannons is the best choice I guess, but it's also the only one that costs extra.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:50:21 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2078 on: September 29, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
I guess you want the plasma servitors if you were fighting marines or something.

Everyone just spent 2 pages telling me to basically never move my chimeras, then when I use one as a pillbox, people tell me there's no point!
It's there to kill dreadnoughts and rhinos in the first few turns when the plasma is out of range. strength 7 is fine, but still need 5 to penetrate rhinos, or 6 for the dreadnought

I don't have any lascannon models, and would need to rejig points to fit it in anyway.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2079 on: September 29, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
Appropriate video for this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2080 on: September 29, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
Well this one was fun.....I am watching the starcraft one too now.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2081 on: September 29, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »
Everyone just spent 2 pages telling me to basically never move my chimeras...

You haven't been listening then, young padawan!
 :-D
The argument was simply "think carefully before you disembark, often it's better not to - unless you have a very clear advantage. Use your APCs to keep your guys alive and shooting as long as possible and continue to use them actively even after you disembark."

The Missile launcher is good for the first turn because you'll usually have the firepower advantage and don't need to advance immediately. Maybe even for the second. But then you'll usually want to maneuver that Chimera, at which point the missile launcher becomes useless. It's still not a bad choice for those plasma vets, I often give them a heavy weapon as well to take advantage of that tasty BS4 - simply a question if you think the investment is worth it, because you propably won't get to use it for very long. I do it when I don't need the points for something else.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2082 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
Everyone just spent 2 pages telling me to basically never move my chimeras...

You haven't been listening then, young padawan!
 :-D
The argument was simply "think carefully before you disembark, often it's better not to - unless you have a very clear advantage. Use your APCs to keep your guys alive and shooting as long as possible and continue to use them actively even after you disembark."

The Missile launcher is good for the first turn because you'll usually have the firepower advantage and don't need to advance immediately. Maybe even for the second. But then you'll usually want to maneuver that Chimera, at which point the missile launcher becomes useless. It's still not a bad choice for those plasma vets, I often give them a heavy weapon as well to take advantage of that tasty BS4 - simply a question if you think the investment is worth it, because you propably won't get to use it for very long. I do it when I don't need the points for something else.

Nothing makes me laugh more than IG players who sit in their chimera the whole game as the enemy come steaming along right at them.  They shoot and shoot away, and are too afraid to move because they will sacrifice shooting.  They end up wedged into the back of the board or corner and only realize too late that they messed up.  Of course I run 3 battle wagons and 3 trukks along with one or two KFF so  I only need two rounds to clear the distance.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2083 on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
I just don't think having a missile launcher in there is that bad an idea!

plus It's not like I have loads and loads of extra models, or tank or artillery variants or anything.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2084 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:29 PM »

I just said it isn't a bad idea... didn't I?
 :icon_question:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2085 on: September 29, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
I would stick with plasma since by the time you need to move, the 12" range will still hit something.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2086 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »

plus It's not like I have loads and loads of extra models, or tank or artillery variants or anything.

Its not a bad idea, it just makes the unit more flexible, which is not normally something I consider a good thing with imperial guard.  If it works, stick with it.  I appreciate not everyone has loads of model options!

I try to keep my mech infantry in their iron coffins, but I tend to have at least half my infantry on foot, as I don't own enough chimeras to give everyone a transport.  This is because I usually field around 90 infantry at 1500 points, along with a lot of tanks.  You can use chimeras to screen your foot infantry too, giving them a mobile cover to advance.

Defending with your whole army in the back field is not usually a good idea.  With two of the three mission types involving objectives, you need mobile troop units.  This is what you should ideally be using your chimera for doing.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2087 on: September 30, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »
Deepstrike!

Boooom!

Also, I'm amused by the idea of my Vindicare outflanking and shooting things with his magical sniper pistol.

Also also, I want to get some terminators. Even if they seem a bit useless.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:30:33 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2088 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
I'm going to be re-tooling my Space Marines. I think I will try to field at least 3 tac squads and 1 or 2 small scout squads. I'll post pictures, because I seriously need to finish painting this army. It's the simplest scheme ever, and it's taking way too long. The problem is I keep thinking about changing my scheme.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2089 on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
What color are they?
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2090 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
I know the feeling - I'm getting urges to Chaos-ify my Imperial Guard...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2091 on: September 30, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »
Right now they're black. Some of them have red on them  too. :engel: The basic scheme is black with red. I'm thinking of switching to green with white, or straight yellow with blue (not Imperial Fists).

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2092 on: September 30, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
I know the feeling - I'm getting urges to Chaos-ify my Imperial Guard...

Mogsam nearly convinced me to make Imperial Gors. Luckily, I am very poor right now so cannot undertake that particular project.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2093 on: September 30, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Sell homeless people's organs. Buy toys!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2094 on: September 30, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
Sell homeless people's organs. Buy toys!

You know homeless people who play the Organ?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2095 on: September 30, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
One.

He was quite good until the bus hit. Now he just plays a toy xylophone.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2096 on: September 30, 2011, 11:38:33 AM »
One.

He was quite good until the bus hit. Now he just plays a toy xylophone.

My work here is done.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2097 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
Right now they're black. Some of them have red on them  too. :engel: The basic scheme is black with red. I'm thinking of switching to green with white, or straight yellow with blue (not Imperial Fists).

Well, I think black and red look nice!

It's pretty hard to paint space marines in green or yellow without having them look utterly ridiculous.
If I wanted to.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2098 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
It's not exactly fair to the thread when we're both working towards the same goal is it?

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2099 on: September 30, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
It's not exactly fair to the thread when we're both working towards the same goal is it?

I'll tag team a thread with ya anytime.  :engel:

Well, I think black and red look nice!

It's pretty hard to paint space marines in green or yellow without having them look utterly ridiculous.

The black and red looks nice, it's just boring to paint. I would enjoy the challenge of the yellow I think. I'll do a test model to see what I think.