home

Author Topic: SuperDans Nordlanders painting log :)  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Superdan

• Members
SuperDans Nordlanders painting log :)
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
Hey all, thought its about time I actually post on this forum especially as I have an empire army that I am currently painting. My army has some fluff written but I don’t know peoples views on fluff in painting logs so I’ll wait.
Anyway with regards to my army itself this is what I have to paint (with more to add :P)
characters
General on Griffon
3 warrior priests on foot
1 warrior priest on horse (GZ miniature)
1 captain on horse
1 bsb
1 wizard
Other stuff :P
24 swordmen
48 halberdiers
40 handgunners
50 spearmen (under construction)
20 knights
30 greatswords
 Steam Tank
Mortar
Cannon
Aiming to get some more warmachines and possibly some outriders/pistoliers at some point to
Anyway time for some pics :)

First off my General on Griffon Gustav Von Richter

My Steam Tank (need to touch up the shields a little due to wash)

My greatswords some of you may have already seen these on the great swords section

My swordsmen unit

And Finally what I’ve been working on over the last couple of days (also so you can see how I paint my state troops :) )

Anyway, hope you enjoy please feel free to comment love to hear criticism or compliments or whether you think I should give up as well as any advice/painting tips :) thanks a lot
Dan

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: SuperDans Nordlanders painting log :)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »

Excellent! Great looking army, and nice job in the griffin conversion.

Offline jhig

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:25:01 PM »
Very impressed by your work.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
Fantastic work.  How do you do your skin tones?
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 01:23:16 AM »
Anyway, hope you enjoy please feel free to comment love to hear criticism or compliments or whether you think I should give up as well as any advice/painting tips :) thanks a lot
Dan

Indeed, I think you need to give up...give up trying to act like you don't know how good your paintjobs are! :biggriin: I like the Griffon most of all. Quite possibly one of the best paintjobs I've seen on that model. The face and feathers are spectacular.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »
The only thing I can say that isn't amazing is the lack of writing on the scrolls and parchment hanging from the soldiers.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:37:55 AM »
Maybe it's cloth to protect their toes from arrows.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:26:28 AM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline daftpunky

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:23:08 AM »
Bloody well done!! Really great paintjob on these guys, keep it up.  :eusa_clap:
  Only thing I'd do is - like the above said is maybe add some kind of writing on the scrolls! Apart from that, exellent!

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:09:12 AM »
very nice!  The eyes of the Griffon really stood out to me. The feathers turned out really well too.  Very pretty.  Are the banners 100% free hand?

I like your bases and I get its winter but I would like to see a little more color on them  somehow. Other then that I think its all great!

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
I really like the Greatswords' banner! Excellent work, especially on the ship.

Offline Superdan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
Thanks all very glad you all seem to like my army so much :) Due to being in my final year at uni and things I'll probably update pics and stuff weekly or so (or try to) Although always happy to answer questions etc so will post as soon as i can heres the first lot

Fantastic work.  How do you do your skin tones?
Thanks, For my standard rank and file men and for speed its a base of tallarn flesh washed with ogryn, then a high light with dwarf, if its a character I'd do another couple of lighter layers by adding bleached bone or elf flesh to the dwarf flesh, I'm painting the old 2006 GD slayer model which i will probably post on here when I'm done to show off skin painting :P

very nice!  The eyes of the Griffon really stood out to me. The feathers turned out really well too.  Very pretty.  Are the banners 100% free hand?

I like your bases and I get its winter but I would like to see a little more color on them  somehow. Other then that I think its all great!

I really enjoyed painting the Griffon glad you like it :), yeah my banners 100% free hand based on stuff in the Heraldry and Uniforms of the Empire book, just thought be nice to add some eye catching banners and its quite fun to try new things to.
I have thought about adding something to the base, i might get some of the dry grass from army painter but not sure yet I'll keep you posted :P

The only thing I can say that isn't amazing is the lack of writing on the scrolls and parchment hanging from the soldiers.
I have thought about adding text to them but i always struggle to get a decent/realistic look, if you have any tips or anything be glad to hear them :)

Dan

Indeed, I think you need to give up...give up trying to act like you don't know how good your paintjobs are! :biggriin: I like the Griffon most of all. Quite possibly one of the best paintjobs I've seen on that model. The face and feathers are spectacular.

You're on to me :P Thanks as I've said i loved painting the griffon just such a nice model overall, plus that and the steam tank act as really nice Centre Pieces for the army i feel, i have to say don't mean to sound big headed but the feathers and such was surprisingly easy to paint, i thought for ages that I'd struggle to get it to look right but in fact it was very simple.

Again thanks all for your compliments and criticisms, if anyone wants to ask any painting questions like technique or guides more than happy to answer, i have some progress shots on a lot of the units :)

Offline Kossar

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »
I really enjoyed painting the Griffon

Seriously? I mean, it looks fantastic, but I'd think that painting each individual feather like that would be a one-way ticket to insaneville (or at least frustrationtown).

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Very nice Griffon !

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »
Fatastic all the way around!  Your blues are brilliant and your yellow is shaded nicely - it doesn't look dirty as yellows can.  I've already been admiring your freehand banners and it is great to see them in a unit.  Amazing start to an amazing army.

I also have to echo the others on the griffon.  Great execution!  I'm especially fond of the feathers!

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Welcome fellow Nordlander!

Great army, great painting and the banners are fantastic.

fbjorn

Offline Superdan

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
I really enjoyed painting the Griffon

Seriously? I mean, it looks fantastic, but I'd think that painting each individual feather like that would be a one-way ticket to insaneville (or at least frustrationtown).

I'll let you in on a secret the feathers are (carefully) drybrushed :P

These are some progress shots so you can hopefully see a bit closer what i did

Basically my base colours where denheb stone for the light bits, and scorched brown for the dark bits, the whole thing was then washed with devlin mud then just highlighting with Denheb and then white, (if you try this and go to mad on the dry brush a careful second wash to those feathers can fix it)

Thanks for the other comments guys i've started attempting another free hand banner on the halberdiers but due to dreadfleet arriving my progress has slowed, need to get back into painting again, i do love Nordland colours so bright  :P

@fbjorn Do you have a plog of your nordlanders? i love looking at other Nordland and similarly bright empire armies for inspiration :)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
i have some nordland in my plog

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Kossar

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
I'll let you in on a secret the feathers are (carefully) drybrushed :P

Well I'll be...

Now that actually does look like fun! Thanks for the tip, I need to get one!

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
@fbjorn Do you have a plog of your nordlanders? i love looking at other Nordland and similarly bright empire armies for inspiration :)

I have. Look for fbjorn under Nordland section at this sticky thread
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32944.0

There you find other fine Nordland fellows as well.

:::cheers:::
fbjorn